• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Tell doc about infrequent abuse, even though I wanna get off of KPins?

kittyman96

Greenlighter
So.... been prescribed 3mgs of clonazepam a day for about a month, cause of a recent hospitalization where I guess they keep you against your will and dope you up. Well the doc outside of the hospital told me to go down to 2mg a day so there was a fuckload extra so of course some days, the prescribed dose was exceeded, however the effect was very little, I guess tolerance builds very quickly. Really wanna get off this shit just cause its making me into a bartard, but the doc wants me to be on it for a while, at least like another month.
got an appointment monday and really wanna tell the doc that I wanna taper off, should I mention that I used the extra? because she knows drugs are a part of my life and I fear she would expect me to have enough since she gave an initial giant script, and any story like I threw them away would seem bullshit and she would cut me off which terrifies me.
ive seen some pretty nasty recreational withdrawals from benzos and its nasty and scares the living shit out of me. So should I tell her or what do u think?

If you tell her you abuse your benzos good luck getting anything off her again , me personally , if I was getting scripts for clonzepam I wouldn't tell my doc/psych shit about abusing drugs. I would just taper down myself and save the extras for a rainy day .
i told one of my psychs that I had a meth problem 4 years ago , I asked for some benzos just for when I really need them for anxiety not daily ,just to have them there when I need them , and he's all like I don't prescribe benzos to people with addiction/abuse history so l learnt to never mention addiction or abuse to a doc/psych I have a vevry good doctor now prescribes me what I need .
But in the end of the day it's upto you to make that choice , clonazepam is very strong aswell as a long half life , 2mg clonazepam is equivelent to 40mg Vallium and 5-10mg Vallium is enough to eliminate anxiety for me.

Honestly- in a perfect world we could be completely honest with our docs and not worry about consequences so we could get whatever level of help we need (also I think that docs should be able to provide drugs to addicts for treating addiction and not just bupe/methadone). But the reality is it doesn't really work that way. I've just been ripped off of benzos before- by a detox doctor! went in to get off methadone and was also on 2.5mgs of kpins a day (in reality I only took 1-1.5mgs a day but that is still enough) and they decided they weren't going to give me kpins either (so 90mgs/day of methadone and klonipin daily discontinued at the same time- and the only comfort meds were darvon and 0.2mgs of clonidine a day and some stuff for GI symptoms; I didn't sleep the whole week and took 4mgs of clonazepam the minute I got home- I would have just left if they didn't have a policy in that state where they can keep you 72hours and petition the court to keep you longer (I just jumped the fence one time due to this when coming off dope but was so sick this time I didn't feel up to that)). It was a nightmare. I actually always sort of cringe when someone says to someone coming off benzos to tell there doctor what is going on so they can taper them with diazepam. I don't think I have EVER seen it work out that way. My wife was legit prescribed them (1.5mgs clonazepam a day and 2mgs alprazolam a day (1 mg "footballs")) and got into an arguement with the receptionist over being given her medical records and was not allowed to see the doctor anymore (she swore at the receptionist when they wouldn't give her a copy of her records) and she thought "I'm not an addict so I can stop this and I'll just be a little uncomfortable" even though I told her otherwise. Well after 3 days she broke down and called the office crying asking for an rx to wean off with. The doc told her "don't worry, since you have made it 3 days you are past the risk for seizures and will be fine" and this was actually a good doc when it came to prescriptions and there was no abuse in this case.

What I would do- maybe get an RC benzo with little recreational value (pyrazolam maybe?) dissolved in liquid use in the lowest doses you can use to supplement what you have.

Unfortunately, I believe that in situations like this, you've probably got more to lose than you have to gain by telling the truth about 'misusing' prescription medications. I'm not condoning what you're doing, but as Drderms said above, being honest about any ab/use of prescription medications can really cause you a lot of issues later on down the road. If you want help with a tapering plan, then by all means be clear and vocal about asking for help with that.

I'm a firm supporter in patient autonomy and I believe that if you no longer wish to be taking the Clonazepam, then your prescribing doctor must accept your decision and be mindful of their duty of care to assist in safely weening you off of it. They may not like your decision to go against their medical advice, but they must respect it. However, I really wouldn't advise you to disclose the fact that you've often exceeded your prescribed limit, unless of course, you feel that there may be some deeper issues that you genuinely need their help in addressing - though it doesn't sound like that from your OP.

But as for admitting that you frequently exceed the prescribed dosage... there's just nothing good that will ever come out of that, should you ever want to have it re-prescribed in the future.