View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals Tea vs. Eating?

Foreigner

Bluelighter
I usually make mushroom tea for a trip. I'll boil licorice root and fresh ginger root in a pot for 10 mins, then let it cool slightly and pour it over the mushrooms. I let steep for 30 mins or so, then drink. I use those herbs because they mitigate toxicity and prevent mushroom gut.

I never stopped to question the pros vs. cons of making a tea as I've almost always made mushroom tea.

Does anyone here with a lot of shroom taking experience have a take on this, either way? Is tea better or eating better?

I never enjoyed tea myself (after dosing various ways many dozens of times), it's not bad by any means, I just never saw any benefit (nor have I ever enjoyed hot drinks that much ever)

I do, however, suggest adding ginger (can't comment on the licorice). Ginger will eliminate nausea. I love ginger very effective antienemic

By far my preferred way to ingest is lemon tek, which just means chop or grind your shrooms and soak them in lemon juice for 20 minutes, then drink (you can strain the shroom chunks however I always leave them in, more high)

It converts psilocybin to psilocin prior to ingestion so it hits you a good 20 min faster, stronger peak, and you sober up about 1-2 hours quicker. I prefer this 100%

Last edited:
I think tea hits quicker than eating for sure - not as much to digest and already liquid.

In my mushroom heyday I'd never even think about eating the little fuckers. I can't stand eating any mushroom (unless heavily disguised in curry etc) so my usual dose of 200-250 liberty caps was strictly off limits, ugh.

My preference was to pick them myself and then brew them up the same day and consume - occasionally would leave them over night before brewing. I just think they have a different energy freshly-picked - much more earthy.

I'd stick them in a pan with, say 1.25 times the amopunt of water I wanted to finally consume, cos evaporation etc. Bring them to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes or so. Then squash the shrooms down on bottom of pan with a potato masher. Remove the shrooms, shape the gunk into a ball, put back into the simmering liquid and mash again with the masher. Repeat process 3 more times. Strain mushrooms, throw them away.

Drink liquid. I'd use coffee, milk and a ton of sugar to at least semi-disguise the grim taste. Then I'd wait for it to be lukewarm, neck the whole cup in 2 big gulps while breathing out and then struggle to not puke for a minute. Then trip the fuck out :)

In remember a couple of occasions when people sipped on a mug of mushroom tea I'd made and before they'd finished they didn't even know what a fucking mug was, ahem

Tea (well coffee in my case) all the way!

Man, If I made ya a shot... :eek:
It's down, it's quick (to do) and it's like nothing out of the ordinary for about 30-45 mins. lol
Oh yeah I'm not saying it's bad

I just prefer taking a gulp of lemon juice shrooms

It really does hit you faster and make you peak harder, I swear by it!

I bet tea hits you faster as well, but man, lemon juice tek!!!!!

I swear by 40-45 min you have fully peaked! Maybe a few min faster than tea :)

Chugging lemon juice never bothered me, but I can see how that might turn off some other people haha

I never enjoyed tea myself (after dosing various ways many dozens of times), it's not bad by any means, I just never saw any benefit (nor have I ever enjoyed hot drinks that much ever)

I do, however, suggest adding ginger (can't comment on the licorice). Ginger will eliminate nausea. I love ginger very effective antienemic

By far my preferred way to ingest is lemon tek, which just means chop or grind your shrooms and soak them in lemon juice for 20 minutes, then drink (you can strain the shroom chunks however I always leave them in, more high)

It converts psilocybin to psilocin prior to ingestion so it hits you a good 20 min faster, stronger peak, and you sober up about 1-2 hours quicker. I prefer this 100%

This is awesome and makes sense biochemically! What is the ratio of mushroom to lemon juice, and is it better if I grind the mushrooms into a finer powder?

I would still like to take it with ginger. Maybe I'd put the lemon juice/mushroom mix into a small cup of boiled ginger tea.

I saw a recipe on shroomery which suggested boiling them with citric acid to boost potency. Let me see if I can find it.

There it is.

Personally I've always made tea, but I've only taken mushrooms 3 times (outside of microdosing) so I'm not the best sample.

Am gonna have a mushroom brew in a few weeks for first time in 6 years and think I'll whack a decent bit of freshly squeezed lemon in there just for shits-n-giggles

Anybody else find mushrooms taste worse and worse the more you've eaten them? I swear your body puts up a defence against what it knows is coming by learning to make it taste worse.

Anybody else find mushrooms taste worse and worse the more you've eaten them? I swear your body puts up a defence against what it knows is coming by learning to make it taste worse.
That's pretty funny. Similarly, what I have noticed is that I often have most/all of the come-up discomfort of a trip before I actually dose.

I did something similar once; I took 2g dried shrooms and 1.5g equivalent wet shrooms and threw them in a blender with ice, pineapple, and orange juice. It was probably the nastiest smoothie I ever drank (but not so bad that I couldn't drink it) but hell, within 20 minutes of drinking it I was crawling on the ground speaking gibberish and my friends were consoling me lol. Hits like a freight train o_O

I'll have to try the pineapple smoothie method. I've been doing the lemon juice thing. Hits harder than the tea imo. I hadn't done shrooms for years, got hold of a bunch recently. Most fun I've had in a long time.

I usually make mushroom tea for a trip. I'll boil licorice root and fresh ginger root in a pot for 10 mins, then let it cool slightly and pour it over the mushrooms. I let steep for 30 mins or so, then drink. I use those herbs because they mitigate toxicity and prevent mushroom gut.

I never stopped to question the pros vs. cons of making a tea as I've almost always made mushroom tea.

Does anyone here with a lot of shroom taking experience have a take on this, either way? Is tea better or eating better?

When I grew my own mushrooms I would make mushroom tea all the time.

Took my dried mushrooms and pulverized them into dust. Say 2g
Take Bodum Tea press and put the 2 g shroom dust in there plus loose jasmine green tea leaves
Proper temperature water, Add and let steep 30 minutes. Plunge to removed sediment/residue.
Once cooled down so it’s not gonna burn your mouth, add honey to taste and maybe a spalsh of lemon juice.

They are fridge stable for at least 5 days, so > mushroom iced tea on a hot summer day. And bonus b/c it freezes into ice cubes.

So yeah, big fan of mushroom tea/slurpees/freezies.

Tom

When I grew my own mushrooms I would make mushroom tea all the time.

Took my dried mushrooms and pulverized them into dust. Say 2g
Take Bodum Tea press and put the 2 g shroom dust in there plus loose jasmine green tea leaves
Proper temperature water, Add and let steep 30 minutes. Plunge to removed sediment/residue.
Once cooled down so it’s not gonna burn your mouth, add honey to taste and maybe a spalsh of lemon juice.

They are fridge stable for at least 5 days, so > mushroom iced tea on a hot summer day. And bonus b/c it freezes into ice cubes.

So yeah, big fan of mushroom tea/slurpees/freezies.

Tom

Wow! Great ideas :) Do you have any remarks about taking tea vs. eating when it comes to effects?

Usually just eat them lol! Absolutely stinking though, will try the lemon tea.

This based on personal experience but;

If drinking in tea form it comes on a bit quicker and slightly/less nausea. But always remember the # grams that went into how many ml water/tea. I’ve also made French Press coffee/mushrooms. Taste was blecch.
Tom

I've never tried tea because I LOVE the flavor of dried mushrooms. I don't care for the flavor of fresh ones as much, but I've been known to eat them fresh because I wanted to trip when I picked them. Why wait for them to dry in front of a fan??

I would worry about losing actives with tea. I've read about making regular tea and coffee and there is still a fair amount of BioActives and caffeine in tea and coffee after the first pot.

What if there is still a fair amount of psychoactives in the discarded mushrooms?

If I was gonna do it I think I would try steam distillation with an espresso maker.