• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Feedback Thread

this forum sucks.
i don't know why anyone would even bother posting here - the mods are all insecure assholes with precious little native wit & a dubious command of the english language, the topics are all so yawnsome that i'd rather watch re-runs of 'murder she wrote' while compiling a backstreet boys best of cd than EVER step foot in here again.
fuck y'all, i'm out.
-theartistformerlyknownasdrseuss-

Blue Lava, why don't you just reinstate the thread and if the person who deleted it would like to come forward, they can try deleting it again, but this time with an explanation.
As far as this forum goes.. It has come along way since its inception. I'm glad to see it still flourishing nicely.
Great job everyone.

BLUELIGHTERS INTERESTED IN THE
BigJ1 'Going to Federal Prison' Thread
Having now read through the entire BigJ1 thread, and spoken to most of the other TDS mods, I can see no point in bringing back the thread. As it stands, the thread is now nothing but an arguement. I can discern no real movement here, nor opinions being changed. Furthermore, arguing basically has no place in TDS. The primary purpose of this forum is not to provide topics for fiery debate. The primary purpose is to provide support for people struggling with the darksides of drugs. The only instance where arguing could possibly be allowed here were if it were a general topical discussion not tied to a particular person's life.
Thank you for your patience.
[ 11 December 2002: Message edited by: Blue Lava ]

Is there any reason why you can't bring the thread back and lock it for reference? It was an interesting discussion, even without the argument.

Originally posted by Trancendance:
Is there any reason why you can't bring the thread back and lock it for reference? It was an interesting discussion, even without the argument.
I agree with this. There was some good advice from Mokenwee and others on what to do if you're going off to prison. I agree it should be locked, but I've got no idea why the whole thread had to disappear.

Lava-
I agree with the purpose of this forum, and I feel that purpose is very valuable. I think the reason the whole debate existed is because people disagree about what constitutes "support." I would just like to point out that I think everyone had the best interests of this forum in mind. A lot of people thought that I was arguing just to argue, but the only reason I posted is because I felt that people could benefit more from this forum if the members refined their comments. I am interested in people getting the most out of this forum.
That said, there appears to be 2 schools of thought to this issue. The first, which appears to be the status quo and more popular idea, is that posters here should recieve unconditional love and support. This may be best for a majority of the posters in this forum. A lot of people are reaching out to others and simply making connections with others is exactly what they need.
The other school of thought, to which I subscribe, is that there are occasional cases in which a poster would benefit more by others pointing out the err of his or her ways. I think there is a fine line to be drawn between offering support and condoning self-destructive behavior.
Utlimately, I think this board should really strive to implement the best of both worlds. Each post should be considered independently, and neither school of thought should be strictly adhered to.
And finally, I would like to address the issue of insensitivity that is inherent in the second school of thought. Personally, I took a lot of heat for being insensitive. I, personally, will be more sensitive, so long as the moderators and others recognize that for the second school of thought to work at all, there must be a bit of "tough love" on this board.
The ultimate purpose of this board is to help people. To do so, a balance must be struck. That is all I have to say.
For now, anyway.

autopilot - thanks for your feedback. you raised some interesting points. however, i believe we already subconciously address the issues you're concerned about. firstly, we do adjust our responses on an individual basis as necessary - tough love is an important methodology when dealing with persistent or damaging behaviours; but only when appropriate, and i think every single poster in the forum has a sense of what's appropriate and what's not.
secondly, altho you may call for objective analysis and carefully measured responses, this is life and it doesn't happen. :) that's what makes bluelight wonderful; so many contrasting opinions. compartmentalising posters into differing 'schools of thought' doesn't really have a practical purpose; people's opinions are beyond our control, so we welcome them unless they're offensive.
also - the point of having mods as opposed to a mod is to ensure a balanced approach and no hegemonous caring dictator rules :) so there are checks and balances in the current system.
finally, thanks for your comments and we will explore them. however, the forum has been around for a while, and so have some of the current mods. and we're all interested in the wellbeing of the people who post here. i don't think you can ask members to 'refine' their comments to suit your preferred take on the issues that are raised here; i don't think anyone would presume to try and change other member's posts. you've been on bluelight for a while now, but there are others who have been here for a lot longer - mods included, and everyone involved is trying to do the best they can - for the forum and the members and the board in general :)
-seuss-

I'll just re-iterate what Seuss has said.
We do not want silence anyone's voice. 'Help' in whatever way you think best. I myself criticise people in TDS. Though in doing so, I recognize that most posters here are dealing with a lot of negative emotions and heaping a few more on the pile is usually not very helpful. But, that's a personal philosohy. What I want us to avoid is the arguing. In most cases a simple statement should suffice. Let's avoid beating someone over the head with whatever it is we are advocating. Say it, and move on.

I'll just reiterate my position that a poster should be allowed to express an idea, regardless of how many posts that requires.

Well I don't know how much my opinion matters but I'd say alot of people here need support and real help, but some people post just because they want attention and want to look like junkies. I think if those people really saw what it was like to be seriousily addicted to a drug it would be benefical for them.