Taste in music

I learned to play violin when I was 10, then taught myself to read music. Taught myself to play cello when I was 14. I listen to classical once in awhile. But I mainly listen to Industrial, Industrial dance, EBM, goth rock, dark wave, synth pop, trip hop, grunge, nu metal, alternative rock, hard rock, classic rock, blues. Two of my favorite bands are Deftones and Korn, and I've gone to several of their concerts over the years.

For my entire life I've had an extremely eclectic and diverse taste in music. I listen to every genre impartially, from gangster rap to classical.

I feel like everyone else I know IRL listens to one, maybe two or three genres of music. Other people seem to focus on just a few styles.

I really don't understand this. Why would you go through life only eating hotdogs and donuts when there is a whole world of food out there to enjoy?

Like my best friend listens exclusively to hip hop/rap. Now he is a fucking wizard genius and knows 1000x more than I do about that genre (and I know A LOT), but I don't understand really.

I have different moods, different vibes all throughout every day. I listen to everything, and use music for different purposes such as enhancing a mood or changing a mood.

I'll be honest. I really dislike US southern country music - but even in that genre I find things I love (like Hank Williams III, outlaw country).

I have some hearing loss due to blasting my ears when I was a teenager, and it scares me a bit. I can't imagine life without music.

I don't know, just wanted some other opinions on the topic. I think music is literally a gift from the gods and hearing may be my favorite sense.
I wholeheartedly agree that music is a gift from the gods! I couldn't live without my music. My Playlist is pretty all over the place, from Slipknot to Sam Cooke to 2Pac. I don't listen to just one kind of genre but if I had to choose it would be rock. Since I moved from a fairly large city to a town of 1700 people I am sadly very behind on current music. I like county music okay but that's all most people listen to here. Any good rock, metal, hip hop.....recommendations would be very appreciated!

I spent a lot of time on this. My own little Tune I put together.

Last edited:
So let's run away 'cause everything's broken
And we're so much more than another brick in the grave
So give me your every, give me your everything
And let's get away
'Cause everything's broken
I know that we're more than another brick in the grave
So give me your every, give me your everything

In response to the original question -- it takes work.

It may not seem like work, but it requires effort as well as desire.

You have to want to find new music, you have to want to expand your horizons. That means possibly sifting through music you may not enjoy on the road to finding stuff you do. Some people may not have the resources (this is more applicable back in the days before YouTube, and even Napster) or if they do, they just don't have the initiative to explore.

Finally, some people just don't care much for music. It is what it is.

For my entire life I've had an extremely eclectic and diverse taste in music. I listen to every genre impartially, from gangster rap to classical.

I feel like everyone else I know IRL listens to one, maybe two or three genres of music. Other people seem to focus on just a few styles.

I really don't understand this. Why would you go through life only eating hotdogs and donuts when there is a whole world of food out there to enjoy?

Like my best friend listens exclusively to hip hop/rap. Now he is a fucking wizard genius and knows 1000x more than I do about that genre (and I know A LOT), but I don't understand really.

I have different moods, different vibes all throughout every day. I listen to everything, and use music for different purposes such as enhancing a mood or changing a mood.

I'll be honest. I really dislike US southern country music - but even in that genre I find things I love (like Hank Williams III, outlaw country).

I have some hearing loss due to blasting my ears when I was a teenager, and it scares me a bit. I can't imagine life without music.

I don't know, just wanted some other opinions on the topic. I think music is literally a gift from the gods and hearing may be my favorite sense.
Such a good point. I was one of those who was snowed into two, three genres (mostly because playing in band, being a stupid teen, and only having friends that listened to the same shit).
I was like 20 when I expanded from grindcore, crustpunk and death metal. 20!!!! So many wasted years.

Today I listen all shit that sounds good, no matter what it is.

Breaking Benjamin and Tool are my favorite bands.

On pandora I get it acid jazz trip hop like thievery corporation or infected mushroom.

On sundays I listen to Sturgill Simpson and have Willie Nelson on my playlist (Whiskey River MF).

Most of my original music is acoustic rock. Country rap, or crap.

I've got on Nirvana Unplugged In NY right now.

Music is delicious. ☺️

With regard to country, I generally was exposed to the pop-country (US/ripped-off pop-US, music). Not pleasant.

Considering, the roots of US country music, and it's subsidiaries.
This is a great PBS doc on it, imho(beautiful one- unfortunately can't link(only trailers) - here's a BBC one, still relevant info Long, but worth knowing.

Last edited:

You might have be suffering from 'extrem divergence' in mental or neuro styles Negentropic! I dont mean to sound condescending. I really fckn relate to this.
Ahh yeah i got too much to squash right here :cool:

In response to the original question -- it takes work.

It may not seem like work, but it requires effort as well as desire.

You have to want to find new music, you have to want to expand your horizons. That means possibly sifting through music you may not enjoy on the road to finding stuff you do. Some people may not have the resources (this is more applicable back in the days before YouTube, and even Napster) or if they do, they just don't have the initiative to explore.

Finally, some people just don't care much for music. It is what it is.
I love how much this translates to the journey of music production-exploration-creation.

Juvenile, chaotic, imbalanced, extreme, evolving, devolving, revolving
Coordinates & principles for the next universes i assume. This also made me think of the scene in Fire Walk with me when that gold ring drops onto the ashen ground