• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Tapering suboxone

Shelly320

Bluelighter
Hi I have a question if I'm trying to fast taper off suboxone for personal reasons ( I have plenty and a doctor, script,ect just need to get off ) I'm pretty stable at .5 mg am and 1 mg pm I've been on it almost 2 years and was at 4 mg am 4 mg pm a few weeks ago I'm doing ok but do feel some wd and it's more noticeable the lower I go but hypothetically if I continue to cut my dose every 3 days and try to skip how sick will I get if I try to jump at .5 all day?? I'm feeling kinda crappy but not terrible I'm working and I have a very physical job but today I was feeling it more ( now I smoked a fatty and I feel much better of course!)

Shelley, some people are able to get away with fast tapers and others have to go through a more long drawn out taper process. I recently got off of subs after 4yrs of maintenance and my taper probably took about a year, I still went through the worse part of the withdrawal at about 3wks post sub.

Suboxone (bupe) just keeps building in your system, which is why people caution against even jumping at 2mg. While it's not going to continue to build if you're dropping your dose every three days, it's still going to take weeks for it to be fully excreted based on your previous dose range. I can only surmise that you'll likely feel worse than how you already feel. Then again you may have an easier time than others.

There are things you can do to lessen the withdrawal. As you already know, physical activity is tops. OTC loperamide will likely help, I personally used lomotil (which is another diarrhea med available by prescription because it's a control- contains an active opiate in a very small amount). You also might want to get your hands on some Kratom ( this helped far and away the best- especially for fatigue). It's always good to have a couple benzos for really rough days, but clonidine (which I think I recall you mentioning you already have in a different post) is probably a fair stand in.

Wishing you all the best!

I can tell you from experience you're tapering too fast. I just went through this myself. If you're not stable with the dose you're on, you're tapering too fast and you're going to go through hell.

Actually I feel pretty good!! Not great but hypothetically can I just wait till I'm sick and keep taking less and less untill I don't feel sick anymore? I am extremely headstrong and active I'm taking less each time and only enough to feel slightly better it's really not so bad the only part messing me up is the mental l, maybe it's because my life is soooo different and I honestly have no desire ( so far) to use

Hypothetical question about suboxone

So Hypothetically if I am on 1 mg am and .5 in pm if I took less each day and waited untill I was sick ( stretching it out as long as I can handle) and then taking small amounts is it possible to break free? Like say day 1 I take the 1 mg am and at pm .25 then in the am take .5 am and so on how sick could I get? I have plenty and a script but I want off so I started taking less everyday for the past few weeks although some days I feel icky and off its not been terrible I'm working living fine I wait untill I'm starting to get sick then take a tiny amount at first I was all over the place but I'm pretty confident I can do this, I'm measuring my dose more carefully and timing my doses so this am I took .5 and I will see where the day goes but most likely I will take .5 again this evening about 9 pm the days have gotten easier but I assume it's the long half life that is taking so long and once I'm ok I go lower but I wonder if eventually one day I won't get sick anymore I'm hoping to just keep taking less and less