• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Tapering from my last bupe use

shpongle1987

Bluelighter
Does anyone have any suggestions what the best way possible it would be to taper from subs. Ive only been taking em for about 2-3 weeks but i know damn well if i stopped cold turkey id feel agitated. 1-2mg is a normal dose for me so i was just thinking bout going down.2mg every 2 days and get it done in a week...

I read .25 every four days is best. I'm on day two..6mg yesterday 4 right now

First, let me address this. If you've only been on them for 2-3 weeks, I'd taper quickly, even if you are uncomfortable going through it. I don't want you to relapse, but at the same time, the longer you are on it, the worse the withdrawals will be. 1-2mg doses @ how many times a day, though? Even 2mg daily is a high dose to jump off from, cold turkey. People like jumping off far below 1mg a day. Think .125mg per day. I'm not even joking. I also have a lot of experience with this devilish drug, and while I have failed to STAY off of it, I do know what makes the process of getting there feel much better and easier.

I was going to say there is no rush, and the longer you taper, the more it will help. BUT since you've not been on it for more than 3 weeks, I would advise against that. I'd still taper to less than 1mg a day. This stuff is potent. You'd be surprised at how much 1/16th - 1/8th of an 8mg strip taken as prescribed (orally) can make a difference in how you feel.

im not in a vulnerable position to relapse, never done heroin i just do bupe recreationally hence why half to one mg twice a day can get me wrecked.

I mean, cold turkey stopping right now after that kind of dosing would probably amount to 8-10 days until you felt pretty damn good. It has a long half life, or if it was something like oxycodone or hydrocodone, I would tell you that with 3 weeks of use, you'd feel "pretty damn good" in about 5 days, maybe less.

I hope that doesn't discourage you. I actually meant that as a "look on the bright side" kind of thing. Because, if you take it for 3-4+ months, you'll withdraw for 30 days without a reasonable taper.

Also, 1mg of bupe will get anyone who isn't used to bupe, and not withdrawing, but regardless of tolerance, pretttyyyyy damn high on their first time. I've only seen H once, didn't know or trust the guy, and I was on the needle then. I probably wouldn't even be posting here, today, because I made bad choices about not caring about my body when I was on the needle.

"1-2mg is a normal dose for me so i was just thinking bout going down.2mg every 2 days and get it done in a week..."
About this... Do you mean one dose a day? Or 1-2mg 2x a day? Not being picky, it's just I honestly have more experience with subutex (8mg white pill) and suboxone (8mg orange strips and pills) than I do with anything else on this planet after years of multiple doses daily. And my point is, 1mg a day is a big difference than 2mg a day... which is a big difference than 4mg a day. My first time quitting was cold turkey off 4mg. And I had my HEART SET on being clean that time. I told my family, for the first time ever about anything I had a problem with... and was just so happy. Even at 14 days into, feeling like shit, I just had this new strength. But a few years of daily use and even going "down" to 4mg a day (aka 2x quarters a day), was absolutely terrible. TERRIBLE. I was then given the norm that some doctors give for withdrawals... I can't think right now but clonidine, hydroxizine, maybe that other antihistamine... ummm, damn, I'm sleep deprived... and also Tramadol.

For the first time since I was a young kid (yeah, I used to want to die because my parents fought hard core but was afraid of going to hell from suicide, I'm atheist now), but for the first time in ages... I was truly feeling suicidal. I couldn't even do that trick where I make myself think about people who LOVE me. I just felt like FUCK it. But, Tramadol messes with the same chemicals in your brain that SSRI's do, or maybe it's that it's like an SSNI... omg... I'm losing my thoughts.

But, that was when I ran out of the tramadol, and I made it last me as long as he prescribed it... 10 days. So, then I was having full blown tramadol withdrawal fucking with my head, bupe withdrawal (pretty damn full blown) fucking with my body and head.... and, ya know what, I won't lie....
The only REAL that stopped me from putting a bullet in my head was that I pawned all my good guns and the best thing I had was a .22 rifle at the time. And the fear was too strong that I'd wake up in the hospital after it happened. THEN WHAT? lol. Now I'm going through even MORE stress and REAL problems combined with withdrawal to get clean for what's coming up.... and I'm handling it much better this time. After my last two strong attempts at trying to get clean, my family was SOOOO damn supportive. I can't believe I got back on drugs all because of some 7.5mg hydros. After everything I've done.... I got hooked back on the first things I ever did 17 years ago, and led me right back up to where I was. Banging bupe or whatever else I could get. So, now, I've honestly quit the needle and haven't shot in probably 4 weeks? Not sure. Wasn't 100% planned, just got mad and broke the pin I was using hoping it was my last. And it was. Now, I'm back down to 1mg a day, instead of a MIN of 4mg and normally 8mg, and occasionally 12mg.

Ok, I'll space it out and add this down here... I understand if I got way too off topic for you to continue giving a fuck about this when you are going through your own dilemma. But, here's what I just want to stress. Just to make up a time line, let's say that first time I tried quitting, cold turkey, was 8 months ago. 21 days later, was sick of seeing little to no improvement (do not cold turkey bupe at high doses). 2 months after that, I had weened down to, well, 1/16 - 1/32 of a strip. I won't lie, I was banging them. But, 1/32 of a strip could tide me through the day with little W/D symptoms after my previous attempt at quitting and not letting my self go back to 4+mg a day.

And that time... for 21 days again, believe it or not, jumping off from those .25mg a day doses, I stayed clean. Around day 5, I knew it was different this time. I had seen the light. Weening down not only doesn't suck, because it DOES tide you over... but it makes the withdrawals REMARKABLY lighter. I was still on it for years, so 21 days later, I was still just... not myself. But I'd go as far to say that, for instance, day 5 (the day that is supposed to be the worst for bupe w/d... 36hr half life) was far more comfortable than day 21 on a 4mg cold turkey stop.

Good luck to you, and stay excited, but keep patient. You'll need the will power and motivation, but you don't want to get ahead of yourself and lose all you've suffered for.

OMG, trying to make this SHORT. Like I said, I didn't get on bupe to get off Heroin, either. I was actually CLEAN. They won't see this in the OD forums from the post about "Is Methamphetamine good for opiate withdrawals?", BUT that is EXACTLY how I got clean my first and only time over a month. It wasn't meth, it was 4MMC or Mephedrone, whichever one was orange, if anyone on here has even seen that stuff? Well, it was like killer coke/meth, with an even more killer comedown, with about 1 hour of a strong, peak, top of the world feeling. But when that was over... after going back to get more, when it was all gone... and I was tripping and hearing shit in my room... I dunno, it did something to my brain. I don't mean fried me. I mean.... it seemed to have "reset" my brain. I had NO opiate withdrawals. I actually felt disgusted with myself. I quit everything... cigarettes, weed, drinking alcohol, and all other drugs.... everything, the DAY of the comedown... and only picked weed back up four months later. Cause, even then, I had nothing against it. Then came the cigs. But that was it for almost 2 years... until TWO girls (unknowingly to each other) were enticing me daily to come see them, and they always had bupe, and I couldn't say no. Well, I thought I could handle myself.

And here I am, again.

Last edited:
Hello, i too am a suboxone patient. I got to that point the normal way through oxymorphone hci, morphine, and fentynol. Accousionally the big H also. I have been addicted to opiates for roughly five years of moderate use i got on suboxone. I dropped from 8mg + to approx 2 mg over a 2 month period. I took my last piece yesterday. Today is day one really has not been to bad. I am keeping a details journal on my experiance. .I use other things to help the wd symptoms. Regardless I jumped off at 2 and was thinking of posting my experience on here. Good luck to you i wish ya the best

You have not been on them long which works to your advantage, I would suggest taking the smallest amount you can -just to make you semi comfortable, I think you will be surprised how little you will need. It takes a week for your body to adjust to dosage change so 1 week blocks are best. I would do the following if you want to stick to a plan though.

Week1 Take 1mg a day
Week2 Take 0.5mg a day
Week3 Take 0.25mg a day
Week4 Take 0.25mg every other day
Week5 Take nothing.

You have been on it such a short period of time that you should have no major problems. Pregablin helps a lot if you can get that and as for sleep I would avoid benzos if possible and use a Z drug and Melatonin. If you are serious about stopping and you know you are ready then now is the time as the longer you take it the harder it is to stop. Good luck!

You have not been on them long which works to your advantage, I would suggest taking the smallest amount you can -just to make you semi comfortable, I think you will be surprised how little you will need. It takes a week for your body to adjust to dosage change so 1 week blocks are best. I would do the following if you want to stick to a plan though.

Week1 Take 1mg a day
Week2 Take 0.5mg a day
Week3 Take 0.25mg a day
Week4 Take 0.25mg every other day
Week5 Take nothing.

You have been on it such a short period of time that you should have no major problems. Pregablin helps a lot if you can get that and as for sleep I would avoid benzos if possible and use a Z drug and Melatonin. If you are serious about stopping and you know you are ready then now is the time as the longer you take it the harder it is to stop. Good luck!

The strongest thing I can say to this is... ^^^ +10
If I could add anything to it, I'd say that IF you feel comfortable doing this, cut the ween time down so you are off even faster. BUT, if you just feel too bad, have things to do, and think the W/D's are too bad cause you weened too fast and cause you to resort to using more than you WOULD have doing it by his proper method, then by all means, take your time with it. It's not a race, per say... but the quicker you take your last dose from day 1, the easier it will be, less intense W/D's, and overall, shorter recovery time.. Best of luck, man. I mean it.

The depression starts to clear the 2nd week generally but this is dependant on how long you have been on sub and at what dose? For a medium dosage regime you should feel the depression starting to fade after the first week, by this point all the bupe is out of your system, symptoms of depression may persist but will be much better during the 2nd week. In total you are looking at about a month then you have lingering PAW's which are nothing in comparison. Some people feel pretty much over it after the 2nd week but this is really down to your previous dosages, taper and time spent on the drug. Eating healthy food and forcing yourself to do exercise helps loads with the depression but I know that these are the last 2 things you will be wanting to do but I assure you they will help. Even a small walk can work wonders.

Thank you very much. I appreciate you taking the time to let know. I finding all kinds of crazy answers on the net.