• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Taking opiates during xanax withdrawl

Emporerbonghiticus

Greenlighter
Hi, would it be unsafe to take any kind of opiotes if I am currently withdrawing from benzos, it been about 4 days since last dose the main symptom I wish to aleviate is general discomfort and insomnia, when i search for the answer to this the search yields only results for using benzos for withdrawl of other substances a d it gets so frustrating people haven't gone into discussion about this. However if this is a no brainer and has a reason why I dont see this question anywhere else,I'd be happy to know before I leap to other alternatives. I've been taking benzos for almost 2 years now and am currently at a dose of 6mg alprazolam a night, yes, a night to go to sleep. I dont want to take anything with adverse effects but after trying kratom, valerian root, melatonin a d even weed to no avail, I'm running out of options, I intend to taper myself off once I'm able to do so I'm done with this demon of an addiction.

THey are not safe to take together, but if you haven't taken in 4 days an opiate may help you sleep and may alleviate some of the pain. Just don't switch 1 addiction for the other. Being clean is nice. Your brain works so much sharper.

Opiates might ease some of the shitty feelings from benzo WD but they will not remedy it. IME taking opiates just helps mask the physical discomfort without actually solving the problem.
I have been wondering if the seizure threshold is affected by the opiates during benzo WD?

It's safe. Except for tramadol which lowers the seizure threshold. I hope you feel better soon

It's safe. Except for tramadol which lowers the seizure threshold. I hope you feel better soon
So the seizure threshold isn't affected by opiates? I'm assuming that even though opiates are taken during benzo WD, the seizures are still a very likely possibility?

Pentazocine and Tramadol are the obvious troublemakers for lowering seizure threshold. Most all other common opioids neither raise nor lower the threshold unless heroic doses are taken and even then it's very rare except in epileptics. Very high dose Oxycodone has had a little bit higher incidence of trouble possibly due to Kappa activity, ORL-1 activity, etc. but in the OP's case the severity and speed of the Alprazolam WD seems paramount over opioids as far as seizure risk is concerned.

Withdrawing from benzos is the worst withdrawal of all. You are at risk of having seizures. You need to detox. Go to a mental hospital and detox. If you don't have insurance tell them you're suicidal and they will take you in. That's a long time to be on xanax and at a pretty high dose. You only get one brain,
Source: my personal miserable experience withdrawing from benzos