• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Taking Modafinil again after allergic reaction

TajDin1

Greenlighter
Hello!
This is going to be a long post, but i would greatly appreciate you taking the time to read through it and give some feed back.

I am a 20 year old female psychology student.
Yesterday i took my first Modafinil pill(100mg) and 6-7 hours later had an allergic reaction.

But let me start from the beginning.
Up to about 2months ago i never had any allergies whatsoever. Then two months ago i got a slight fever and throughout the day drank about 3 bags of Lekadol +C. At 2am i woke up with high fever and drank another bag. Fever dropped but i developed hives under my eyes, back of my neck and all over my stomach. (Might i add, i have taken Lekadol+C before and didn't have any reaction, though packaging is different so maybe they changed ingredients? Or i developed allergy out of nowhere?)
Anyways besides hives I didn't had any other symptoms. Went to the ED, received two shots and everything went back to normal in a matter of minutes. They told me it was most likely allergy to Paracetamol, so i knew i should stay away from that.

Fast forward to yesterday. I got Modafilin for studying purposes. It was AMAZING. I learned so much of the hard material with drive and motivation. I took it at 3pm(i know, kinda late) and noticed a tiny bump on my wrist after 2hours but didn't think nothing of it. (Since i have quite sensitive skin and i get those sometimes). Then at about 10pm back of my neck started itching, and my collarbone turned slightly red. I started to be a bit concerned but still didn't think much of it. It all changed when a small hive developed under my eye(same as two months ago).
Naturally i started googling and panicking. Reading that i should go to the ER or I'll probably die, didn't help my anxiety as you can imagine.
At that point i was experiencing slight shortness of breath and tightness in the chest, but i know it was because of anxiety.
I then took Claritin and Medrol, but i felt like it was not working so i again went to the ED. They didn't give me anything since i already took Medrol. But before leaving the hospital small hives that i had disappeared. I was totally back to normal once i came home and I'm still OK.

So after reading basically everything there is about allergic reactions to Modafinil and other people's experiences i am in a bit of a conflict with myself. Some said they tried again with smaller dose and didn't have a problem, while others think you must be dumb for trying it again, due to extreme potential dangers-SJS,Anaphylaxis,etc(which is probably true haha).

It helped so much that in the back of my mind i really want to give it another shot, with a really small dose and have Medrol ready in case of emergency. But i know that second encounter could be much more severe and Medrol would not help. Also because i have taken Medrol quite early on, I don't know what would have happened if I didn't.
Maybe nothing,maybe my airway would close shut.

I am kinda laughing at myself while writing this, because i get that i really shouldn't risk it. But then again it helped so much and with 9 finals i have to pass it would really helped out a ton.

What would you guys do in my situation. Stay the F away from it, or give it another shot?
Best regards,
T.