• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Taking 5-HTP and trazodone, woke up feeling euphoria- serotonin syndrome?

Smoke 420 Weed

Ex-Bluelighter
I've been taking 5-HTP daily for a little over a year now, and 2 days ago my doctor prescribed me trazodone. I didn't take it last night because I thought i could fall asleep fine without it and was kinda worried about this, but I took it the night before and woke up the next morning feeling euphoria, somewhere between a buzz and a high, which lasted 45 minutes or so. I'm usually lazy and don't do much other than smoke weed and play on my computer or hang out with friends, but I spent the first 4 or 5 hours of the day going through all my old clothes, sorting them out, and then driving them over to a homeless shelter because I was feeling productive (which i like never feel) and empathetic. I had the groggy, drowsy semi-hangover trazodone can cause too. I spent the next hour or two with my grandparents who were visiting from oregon (i live in virginia) and leaving soon. After they left I went to go smoke weed, but my neighbors were outside so I couldn't. I wanted to go do my homework, which I do twice a month at most, but I had school (im homeschooled in the evening) later that day and figured I shouldn't overwork myself cuz I'll get stressed out during school. Instead I went to play on my xbox, but after 20 or 30 minutes the urge to do something productive was too strong so I did like 2 hours of homework. After that I spent a whole 45 minutes making a sploof (makeshift device to hide the smell of weed when you smoke that takes 5 minutes to make). I added a bunch of stuff onto it that isn't really necessary just because it made me feel productive. After that I smoked then didn't do much for the rest of the night. I did some research on 5-HTP and trazodone interactions and it said it can cause serotonin syndrome. I also found a bluelight thread where someone said they felt euphoria the morning after taking trazodone, and they said they were taking 5-HTP too. They said it's probably because trazodone blocks you're serotonin receptors from absorbing serotonin and 5-HTP causes your brain to generate more serotonin so it builds up in your brain to the point of euphoria. If i remember correctly, that's what causes serotonin syndrome. Does anyone know any more about this? Am I at risk of having serotonin syndrome?

Trazodone is terrible for one thing. It made me feel the same way but also dopey like a hangover kind of? It also made my heart race... I was on 200mg at night on top of a lot of hardcore medicine. I'm pretty sure it's normal though, um.. combining an upper (antidepressant) with a sedative/also anti-depressant like medicine is probably not a good idea but I wouldn't say you have serotonin syndrome.

I know it can cause serotonin syndrome, i was just wondering if I was at higher risk because of the euphoria, along with the other things.

What dose of 5htp do you take daily? Is it really necessary? I mean I've took it for a few days after doing ecstasy but not as a daily anti depressant

You would know if you have seratonin syndrome. Chances are you do not have it. Personally I'm guessing more along the lines of placebo effect.

You should really not be taking 5-HTP and Trazodone together.

Seretonin Syndrome is a serious risk.

serotonin syndrome is not likely from taking 5htp + a serotonergic alone

actual serotonin synrome is a condition that requires hospital treatment, not "mild euphoria"

Just a completely random reaction I think. Plenty of days where I woke up much more euphoric than usual without any possible drug(s) involved. It's very hard to prove a particular cocktail of drugs/supplements you took the night before is related to your mood state the next day.

(Oh and - 5htp - pretty much useless, and trazodone is not known for inducing euphoria)

Oh God I can't imagine feeling euphoric on Trazadone. Unless I was euphoric about getting to go back to bed.