• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

tackling the big issues... should we abolish austudy?

Should we abolish austudy?

No.

Let's see,we have a generation that got a FREE university education,while a current one where they have to pay and overall the price is going up,real fair 8) .

Austudy is NOT alot of money to live on,so many on it have to get casual and/or part-time jobs.If austudy was abolished many of these people would have to work even more hours,hence taking away more hours from studying.

Abolishing austudy would massively favour the rich, who would just get helped more from there family and it could led poor students to drop out of university all together.Higher education is a right every person should have according to ability,NOT depending on how much money they have.

I think it is petty to complain about how some people may spend their austudy,especially when they don't get paid a huge amount and it would be helping many complete university.

If you are going to talk about responsibility,I hope you complain about a federal government that doesn't take responsibilty about it's stuff ups: No WMD's in Iraq,no children being thrown overboard,etc,etc..............

Also,if you are going to complain about how about our tax dollars are spent.Try:-

*Our federal government advertising on things like how wonderful the GST will be "Unchain My Heart",'Workchoices' - No full detail in ad's,etc............

*Our involve in an illegal war, that has killed many innocent people,among other things.

*The Baby Bonus's that are NOT means tested, and basically more often than NOT 'middle class welfare'.

*Tax cuts to the wealthy who don't need it.They earn plenty.

Finally,great post Plazma ;) .

No. Muzby's and Duckboy's taxes should be increased further. I studied hard this week. I deserve a raise dammit =D

muzby said:
*btw, before i get flamed, please note that this is written from an aggressive standpoint purely for discussion.. i wouldn't have got to where i am now without austudy, so i'm all for it, and pretty much disagree with most of what i posted...... i just love getting people passionately discussing something... :) (so i'm looking forward to seeing those who fly off the handle without reading this disclaimer.. ;) )

^^^ wot he said....

oh wait.. thats me... ;) =D

Muzby, I love raining on parade, but from the inflammatory standpoint of what you posted, you might as well have posted something on slavery being beneficial for black people, and put the same bullshit disclaimer after it. Its not going to make any difference when what you've said is so out there.

People also have a tendency surprisingly enough, to attribute arguments to the people who postulate them, regardless of disclaimers.

-plaz out-

^^ There is nothing wrong and a lot to be gained by arguing for issues where peoples opinions are already entrenched.
Often you will discover underlining beliefs that you didnt consciously realise you had.
Also it is really healthy to argue against what you believe.

Having said that; muzby loves getting a rise out of people so if it offends you stop feeding him :)

Don't abolish Ausstudy

Change the age you can get into university to 21

I doubt you would have people wasting their time then

m4dd0g said:
Having said that; muzby loves getting a rise out of people so if it offends you stop feeding him :)

Shh! It's not often we get arguments in here where people are somewhat intelligently trying to get their point across, I say let 'em have at it. We all know these two both adore grinding people's gears.

As for austudy, I'm a poor student, and I don't much care one way or the other from a personal point of view whether it exists or not, since I don't apply for it and it would be very unlikely for me to do so later on. However, if it's helping people (and god knows the government can't help people to save their own festering lives), keep it. At least it's not money spent on "the war against terror" 8(

preacha said:
Don't abolish Ausstudy

Change the age you can get into university to 21

I doubt you would have people wasting their time then

that's fucking retarded. i finished high school when i was sixteen. what should i have done for five years?

I think Austudy should not be abolished but should be increased so as to allow students an actual amount of money that will enable them to eat healthily every week.

You kill Austudy and you kill the number of students that will be able to afford to go to university. I'm sure Howard would like that seeing as he seems to want an Ivy League schooling system just like in the States.

It's not like there isn't enough dumb fucks in this country already without cutting student numbers any further. Plus it is the people from low socio-economic backgrounds who actually deserve a chance in life, and need to be educated if anything is going to change in this stagnant society.

"The rich get richer 'til the poor get educated"

- Sage Francis, Slow Down Gandhi

Last edited:
*hands muzby the shit stirring spoon*

My youth allowance comes in at a whopping $214 a fortnight. Combined with the small amount of part time work I do, I get about $260 a week at the moment. This is just about enough to cover text books, hecs payments, petrol, car rego and insurance, health insurance, phone bills and other general living expenses. I don't drink/party very much at all during uni for both the financial & mental costs. Luckily I live at home with a reasonably supportive family, otherwise there is no way I could get by otherwise. I know plenty of people who are trying to combine almost full time work and uni because they have no other way of affording it - and you know what, for most of them, their uni work suffers.

See, the thing is... the uni considers that going to university is your full time job. Changing timetables/missing classes/handing assignments in late because you had to work isn't an acceptable excuse. So it's all well and good to say that students should work to pay their way through uni, but to do so really means to compromise the amount of time you can set aside to complete uni work. I tried to work full time when I first started... it lasted about 5 weeks. My sanity and marks were just not worth trying to fit in 40hrs of paid work, 10hrs of travel + the 40 odd hours I would spend on uni work.

Yes there are people who probably spend their money on less than desirable activities whilst at uni but why should everyone be punished for the actions of a few. Looking at the cross section of people studying at my uni, it's hardly dominated by 18 year olds, and there are plenty of younger people taking their studies very seriously, so I think it's a misnomer to claim that most uni students don't appreciate the money.

I mean, if we take this logic, why don't we give pay cuts to everyone who's slacking off at work and spending a lot of their money on alcohol/drugs. Maybe they need to be taught a lesson? ;)

Last edited:
onetwothreefour said:
that's fucking retarded. i finished high school when i was sixteen. what should i have done for five years?

next time i'll add an emoticon to show i was joking