View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Synthetic Salvinorin A

demon66

Bluelighter
Didn't know that this chem had been synthed, though it makes sense that some one would;

Chemical synthesis
A total asymmetric synthesis of salvinorin A, which relies on a transannular Michael reaction cascade to construct the ring system, was achieved in 2007 by Evans and co-workers in 4.5% overall yield over 30 steps.[19] More recently, a synthesis was published by a Japanese group, requiring 24 steps to yield salvinorin A in 0.15% yield.[20]

An approach to the trans-decalin ring system of salvinorin A has been described by Forsyth (et al.) utilizing an intramolecular Diels-Alder reaction/Tsuji allylation strategy.[21]

An attempt at the synthesis of salvinorin A has also been published by a group at RMIT University, adopting a convergent synthesis of a functionalized cyclohexanone with a α,β-unsaturated lactone.[22]

Any one here ever sampled pure Salvinorin A?

I don't know anything about synthesizing chems but that yield seems pretty low. (at least the 0.15% )

sounds really cool from the organic chemistry knowledge standpoint, as now that we know how to make salvinorin, we can (theoretically) perform research on possible interesting homologs and analogs of it. but i'm sure it costs about $10000 for a gram of salvinorin if you only get 4% yield. the same amount extracted from live plant material would probably cost $100 including the cost of growing the plants for a year.

who knows what kind of salvinorin analogs might be worthwhile... o_O

I've only tried to use pure salvinorin A once. I dissolved it in 50 percent DMSO (at least I think I did), and injected it into muscle. Nothing happened. It probably didn't get dissolved fully, but it's hard to see 1 mg of wet translucent crystal at the bottom of a vial to know for sure. Intramuscular or IV injection is the only reason I can see to obtain salvinorin A beyond a collector's fetish. Despite all the odd talk about higher potency extracts being the "real deal," I don't see any reason to think why they or even pure salvinorin A would be much different than smoking a higher weight of lower potency extracts (hell, 1.3 bowl of 5X sends me cruising around my place on autopilot).

I am intrigued by the prospect of intramuscular injection, since I imagine it could offer the visionary intensity of smoked salvia (which I've never gotten to using sublingually), but you'd pass through that liminal doorway much more slowly and maybe even have enough time to reflect on the architecture of the frame, so to speak. I could imagine getting some serious intuitive insights about the underpinnings of self-identity from such an experience. I've got a little over 2 mg left, but I want to know for sure how to inject it properly before attempting it again.

who knows what kind of salvinorin analogs might be worthwhile.
Salvinorin B ethoxymethyl ether

I know for a fact I willl not be trying pure Salvinorin A------salvia is a harsh reality zipper that kicks my ass everytime I use it :)

^I recommend using it with a moderate dose of a dissociative. Many, including myself, have reported a heavy reduction in dysphoric effects this way. I've only tried it with DXM, but I imagine ketamine, methoxetamine, or 4-MeO-PCP would work as well since I assume it's the NMDA antagonism and not DXM's serotonergic effects that's responsible. They really file down the teeth of the saliva monsters. It's more like they're gumming your soul instead of gnashing at it -- kinda tickles.