• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids switching from MMT to suboxone

thelung

Bluelighter
I was wondering if anybody has experience moving from methadone to suboxone. I have to get my dose down to 30mg, im working on that (its at 60mg now) , and then i can switch (my clinic offers it now). What should i expect? Some people have said getting off of suboxone is harder than methadone...I can't imagine a worse kick than methadone , but whatever i guess. Thanks in advance for your input.

i went from 20mls of methadone to subutex, it took a bit of white-knuckling but it settled down after two days(ish)
i thought the wd from subs was a bit better than 'done, but i could be wrong. they both have a longer wd than other opiates so they both suck anyway

A couple of years ago I was on methadone but the clinic it kick me out because I got caught passibg xanax to another patient. I got tapered down 20 milligrams and then seen my old Suboxone doctor. He had instructed me to stay off of methadone for 48 hours. When I had seen him that day he had dosed me and I had went into severe precipitated withdrawal and it was the worst feeling of my life. For about 3 weeks after that I felt like I was literally in heroin withdrawal even taking the subs everyday. Getting off methadone and switching to Suboxone was nothing to play with. I wish you the best of luck and everyone is different not saying you will go through what I went through. I pissed out shit literally and cleaned my whole colon from the PWD, words can't even explain how horrible it was. The mental aspect was the worst, my whole life flashed through my eyes , my childhood everything during PWD. I wish you luck and hope it goes good

I can simply add about Subutex that it comes in typically 8mg tab you may get 2-3/ or up to 4 a day and I'm not certain the conversion of mg if you may call that between methadone and buprenorphine but as to the way the drug works, methadone is still going to be a full mu agonist vs partial w/ bupe they both have as mentioned very long half lives making withdrawl string out and somewhat mild depending on your taper or dose reduction or drop off. Understand that methadone mg of 20-30 may be low but 10mg methadone I would equate to maybe two mg sub in a way it works to feel better and taking much more bupe will not have MUCH MORE benefit. 2-4mgs of bupe is still a lot to drop off at sometimes tapering ppl go into
0.2mg which they use in Europe called temgesic

This is a rough transition. The threat of precipitated withdrawals are high. Wait at least 48 hours, and only induct 1mg. Wait 2 hours sublingual, or 30 minutes Intranasally, to dose more. The higher the initial sub dose, the higher chance of pwds.

If possible you might want to consider switching to a shorter acting opioid for a week or 2, then transition to sub from that..