• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants switching from dexedrine IR to dex slow release....?

zagor

Bluelighter
I am taking 50 mg of dex daily for severe sleep problems caused by depression. However I decided to get off the drug because it is starting to lose its effect even though that was the only thing that helps my severe depression. But I cannot taper off because if I cut down even 2.5 mg I start to feel depression and what is even more concerning I get akathisia too. So I thought would it be easier to get off of the drug if I switch to long acting capsules? Anyone done that? Thanks

I doubt XR would make it easier to taper to be honest, it's actually harder to dose XR meds in a flexible manner that's required to taper. I moved from Vyvanse (which is essentially long acting dex) to IR dex for mainly this reason.

It's worth speaking to your doctor assuming you get these scripted. Talk about your concerns and if you want to come off I'm sure they'll help you.

It sounds like you're saying that you want to come off of it because it doesn't work, but find it not working when you try to get off of it.

Maybe it will work better for you in XR form. Also, adderall may be more stimulating than dexedrine. Have you asked your doctor about either of these?

Also, provigil is indicated for shift-sleep disorder, and can help with energy and presumably might help with ADHD/depression.

But these are serious medications. So I can tell you that you might bring them up with honesty to your doctor, but can't offer a medical, "should" opinion. Regardless, even a doctor can't over the internet.

You could always try low dose methamphetamine 25-50mg

Other than that i would suggest switching to adderal xr (I'm prescribed 60 30mg xr's) I give them to a friend for 450 bucks that's besides the point though

Other than that I don't know what will help you

Im going to be straight up with you as i had suicide attempts. If your trying to stop the only thing that helps with your depression how do know you wont become suicidal and attempt to end your life? It sounds like you need help to be first stabilized on a different medication before stopping adderall and highly supervised because if adderall is the only thing holding you up right now and you dont put in a support before you take it out id hate to see you fall

I doubt XR would make it easier to taper to be honest, it's actually harder to dose XR meds in a flexible manner that's required to taper. I moved from Vyvanse (which is essentially long acting dex) to IR dex for mainly this reason.

It's worth speaking to your doctor assuming you get these scripted. Talk about your concerns and if you want to come off I'm sure they'll help you.

Are you able to tell me how you started the equivalent dosing? I am on high dose vyvanse twice a day and i've over being on teh rebound because took it slightly later or missed my window for the second dose etc. I need flexibility and it also makes me not sleep if i am on the rebound. My doc is useless at email responses and i can't see her for a while. vyvanse also makes me anxious and depressed