Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Swearing in public

katmeow

Bluelight Crew
I went to the football recently (which is not the world's best example given the natural association of loutish behaviour with footy ;)), but I was really struck by some people's inability to step away from 4 letter words. Now I swear as much as the next person, but I happened to be there with my father (who's coarse language-o-meter only goes about as high as bloody hell and jesus christ), so I was really conscious of how bad these guys were.

My cousin is one of the worst offenders - we were sitting on a train heading into the city, surrounded by families with kids, and she had no qualms about letting fly with all sorts of expletives. I have to admit to feeling pretty embarrassed by the dirty looks we were getting.

As I said, I swear a lot, but I'm always conscious of who the audience is, which means if I'm around people I don't know well, and particularly young children, I do try to monitor what I'm saying.

So, am I just being old fashioned, or do you still think there is a time and a place for everything, and adjust your language accordingly?

katmeow said:
So, am I just being old fashioned, or do you still think there is a time and a place for everything, and adjust your language accordingly?

Definately agree with you 100%. I am much the same yourself with regards to swearing. However, I just can not understand why people cant be cognoscent of thier surroundings and respect other peoples right to enjoy public spaces and events.

I have a friend similar to your cousin, at times I have been very embarrassed and have even asked him to stop and think about other people, his reply was "thats just the way I am man, you have to get used to it!" 8(

It goes back to the old thing; have respect for other people and others will have respect for you.

I'm the same as well. In fact recently I have been attempting to make a conscious effort to curb my swearing completely but sometimes it says what other words cant. but I digress.

You really notice other peoples swearing when you are out with kids. Out with mates and stuff not so much but if you are with people who would be offended by such language like parents/grandparents or with little people who shouldnt be exposed to such vulgarity then you really notice it when others let fly. I definately switch the language off when I'm at dance class with littlies around or out in public like shopping centres with small people in ear shot. It's a respect thing. I'm sure if i have kids one day I'm not gonna want some trashy young bitch like myself exposing my kids to language I dont want them to hear.

I'll swear around my friends, but while in public, it is disrespectful

Expecially around children and older people who didn't grow up in our time.

Same... I find myself ashamed if the person I am with can't control their language if around children or the elderly. Its all about respect.

Definatley a time and place for swearing. Actually, more place and audience.

Once I was out to dinner with a few friends and a couple of them were being overly loud and abusive (to each other, not strangers) and for the first time I felt embarrased that they didn't have the respect to contol what they were saying...I ended up saying something to them and they gave me the "ligheten up, who are you my dad?" reply.

I tend to not swear when there are families and youngen's around. If I'm in a pub though, I get pretty loose. :\

I've been hanging around with too many fucking Miners latley so that's my excuse for my foul mouth.

Last edited:
I swear heaps! lol but i try not to swear in front of certain audiences myself... although.. the other day when my s/o's folks were here visiting us i let a few slide and thought to myself " DAMN " Its become so second nature these days seeing as i aint been around my family for so long.. its actually quiet BAD!!! *slaps hand* Bad MooShiE...

I sware a lot. Most the time I don't care who is around. But there are time I watch what I'm saying. I try to restrain myself when I am around kids, old people (out of respect), and certain customers at work (kids, mothers). Other than that, I sware all fucking day.

The only time I don't swear is around either my mum, or my girlfriends mum, other than that I am the foul mouthed trooper extraordinaire...

I hardly ever swear. I used to have a foul mouth, and gradually I realised how revolting it sounded, so I stopped swearing.

At work - never (Well I try never to)
In public - sometimes
Amongst friends - Hell yeah. I try not to say words like cunt though..

I only noticed a lil while ago, just how much I do swear. I mean I already knew it was a fair bit. It wasn't until being around older people, that I realised it's extreme.

I noticed i used "fuckn" like the word "but".

This is not good.

I have no issues punctuating with 'fuck' or 'shit', however 'cunt' is not said in public if i can be avoided.

I swear Bad !

I mean well yell out Fuck at work all the time ! i mean ya probally couldent hear it over the machines anyways !

Also some of my frinds swear in public, even around kids... i tell them off for swearing. There's a Time & place for it !

I Dont like the word Cunt either....

But im sure in the future it will slowly become more and more tolerated !

Peace Out

Dialated665

i constantly swear. all of the time. generally i don't care who i'm around. kids, perhaps, are one instance where i try to curb it; i don't mind kids hearing swear words, but i don't think it's good to expose them to it constantly.

but everyone else can get fucked.

i swear all the fucking time. I try not to if I'm on crowded public transport and talking to a mate or something, but it's not like I'm shouting anyway. I swear around pretty much everyone else, though, except little kids. And never say cunt around a woman. That's asking for trouble.

it's just ingrained. I always say things like 'yeah he did .... and shit' or 'nah, you know like ... and shit' without thinking, and fuck is just the word to say when you're angry/pissed/hurt yourself/frustrated/in awe/etc.

monty python's 'history of fuck' comes to mind...its just such a versatile word.

I have to curb my swearing in public. I swear like a sailor at home (yes including the "c" word") but I cringe when I hear other chicks swear as much as I do so I tend to stop myself mid swear word and try to change it to something else with varying success.:\