• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Suspicious News Article

indigoaura

Bluelighter

This story does not make sense on so many levels. For one thing, how much MDXX would be needed in that bottle for "one single sip" to kill her? Sounds more like fentanyl. Also, who stashes huge amounts of MDMA in wine bottles? Why? Does anyone have any other information about this story?

Last edited:
I remember a case in the news a few years ago (I'm from in the neighborhood of Belgium) with wine laced with speed or coke. It was a bit of a scare at the time, multiple locations were affected and multiple people ended up in the hospital, one was killed I believe. The drugs were found in bottles just sitting on the shelf in bars and at home with some people. This to say it isn't completely unheard of, though rare, even more so with MDMA. IIRC they never found the source

Smuggling was my first thought too. Maybe someone is hiding the MDMA in the wine bottles, and then evaporating the liquid later. Somehow, the wrong bottle ended up on a shelf. Still seems hard to believe though, especially if the "sip" comment is true.

The suspicious part of the article is that there is no mention of tests being carried out upon the rest of the bottle. If someone had died from 'one sip' from a bottle of unknown substance, forensics would have been all over that shit immediately...

According to the link above, the solubility of MDMA in ethanol is 10mg/mg, so a standard 750ml bottle could be used to smuggle 7.5g with the ethanol evaporated off later. So I'm wondering how big her 'sip' actually was? If it was more of a 'glug' then I guess it's possible
My guess is that the wine was all poured out and replaced with a saturated solution of MDMA hydrochloride in water. This is a very common smuggling method for methamphetamine. I'm not sure the exact number, but you could definitely get a very concentrated solution.

[/URL]

According to the link above, the solubility of MDMA in ethanol is 10mg/mg, so a standard 750ml bottle could be used to smuggle 7.5g with the ethanol evaporated off later. So I'm wondering how big her 'sip' actually was? If it was more of a 'glug' then I guess it's possible she could have ingested a dangerous dose.

I can’t open that link but I’m guessing that’s the solubility with pure ethanol in which case wine, which is only 12-15%.

Solubility in water is about 7mg/ml so the amount a bottle could hold is likely less, around 5 grams or so

I can’t open that link but I’m guessing that’s the solubility with pure ethanol in which case wine, which is only 12-15%.

Solubility in water is about 7mg/ml so the amount a bottle could hold is likely less, around 5 grams or so

Ah, sorry about the link, dunno what happened there. But yes, 10mg/ml is the figure for pure ethanol. I was thinking if it was a smuggling technique then the wine would be discarded and replaced with a decent solvent. But 7.5g per bottle is pretty shit and would require a lot of bottles to shift a significant amount.

Still a strange story though...

Pay no attention to the fearmongering of paid advertisements which sponsor the dinosaur way of communication, knowlege and research. They all get paid by their sponsors to swing a certain agenda.
Now for liquid mandy being smuggled dosent seem that unplausible, reminds me of RC vendors in mid 00's mixing bathes of bromo analogue with non bromo.

That's the figure for freebase MDMA, MDMA.HCl (the common salt) is noted as having a solubility of at least ~22 mg/mL in water, I believe it can go way more than that though. That works out to 16.5g of MDMA in a 750 mL bottle, minimum. I bet you could easily get 50mg/mL though which would be 37.5g total. Either of those, you drink a bottle of wine, you're toast.

However the wine would also taste like alkaloid. Bitter, sour, very unpleasant. A culinary wine drinker would notice it immediately and even a career wino would have second thoughts before drinking anything that would have that much alkaloid in it (I hope).

That's the figure for freebase MDMA, MDMA.HCl (the common salt) is noted as having a solubility of at least ~22 mg/mL in water, I believe it can go way more than that though. That works out to 16.5g of MDMA in a 750 mL bottle, minimum. I bet you could easily get 50mg/mL though which would be 37.5g total. Either of those, you drink a bottle of wine, you're toast.

However the wine would also taste like alkaloid. Bitter, sour, very unpleasant. A culinary wine drinker would notice it immediately and even a career wino would have second thoughts before drinking anything that would have that much alkaloid in it (I hope).

What I find odd is that the article claims she only drank one sip. How many mg would be in one sip if the bottle contained 37.5 g?

That could be anywhere from 0.5 to almost 15 ml... (11 - 330mg assuming 22mg/mL)... but hard to say

if it was super concentrated solution (I expect you can get 100mg/mL in water, meaning 50 - 1500mg, but that would taste SO bitter you''d spit it out for sure) or she was particularly sensitive towards it, like some people are with cocaine, that could have been a contributing factor. It is unfortunate but there are records of people getting stupendously unlucky and dying the first time they try MDMA - usually it is from a congentital heart defect or other genetic issue, or sometimes it is ascribed to just plain dumb luck... in fact there was a teen in my city who died after taking MDMA not that long ago.

it#s not common but it does happen. maybe that explains the whoe situation. i think the aviation industry calls it the "swiss cheese effect" - multiple holes/defects line up and you get a catastrophic failure.

Oh damn, yeah, that's bad enough. I remember being 13...I don't remember buying drugs off kids at subway stations.....I can see it now....Lawrence East St. MDMA deals...no thanks.
Unfortunate....though not as infuriating as the case I was thinking of....that one just pissed me right off. I have a boot for the kids that drugged that kid and then filmed it while he was dying.