• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Support for Pregnant Women (Opiates/Opioids)

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
The primary purpose of this thread is to provide a safe place to discuss any issues relating to pregnancy and opioid use.

Remember, the only stupid or silly question is the one you don't ask!

No abuse of any kind will be tolerated in this thread - this is NOT a place to discuss the morality or politics surrounding abortion or any form of birth control (there is no problem discussing birth control - the problem would be moralizing it; the moralizing of any shade is what won't be tolerated here).

Although this thread is intended primarily to be a supportive place for women who are pregnant and struggling with opioid use, I hope it can also be a place where any Ob/Gyn gender specific concerns are brought up as they relate to opioid use (such as myths surrounding fertility and sterility while using, as well as any discussion on how opioid use affects menstruation, etc).

A couple resources to start the thread off with:

Here is the most recent thread we had on this topic: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...ily-3-weeks-clean-now-suffered-no-withdrawals

Because they occasionally come up, and I feel like these individuals deserve priority support, I have gone ahead and created this. I don't expect it to be the most popular thread, especially as it takes some real ovaries to come out and talk about such a stigmatized, personal and difficult subject, but I hope it can be a helpful resource when the time comes.

Thank you for your participation, gracious support and kind understanding in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Withdrawing from methadone, anybody with methadone experience PLEASE HELP

Hello everyone,
my name is panda bear. I have been on methadone for about two months now on a low dose of 30 Mgs a day for drug addiction. I recently found out I am pregnant and want off of the drug durring my pregnancy. The doctor informed me she doesn't feel comfortable taking me off and will not weine me off but will keep me on a low dose. This is not good enough for me as I have never done a single drug while pregnant with any of my kids I haven't even smoked a cigarette. She unfortunately is leaving me with no other option but to quit methadone cold turkey. I am only 3 1/2 weeks pregnant so I am not scared of miss carrying as much as I would be if I was further along. My question is how long will my withdrawal take with me only being on it for less than two months kept at low doses? How long until my body goes back to normal and there is no methadone in my system any longer. What are the physical and psychological dangers of quitting cold turkey? Basically I do not know what to expect and I'd like to be prepared before i start my withdrals in knowing what I'm going to go through and when my body and mind will be completely back to how it was before I started methadone. My last dose was this morning about 7 hours ago so any information is needed. Any information will help. If anyone has any personal experience with methadone and quitting it I am more than happy to take any advice/info you can offer me.
Thank you very much if you take the time out to respond and help
please this is for my unborn child

Last edited:
Oh my, you sweet, sweet girl. Hey, I'm not a Doc, but just an old guy with a lot of practical pain killer experience. First off, as you likely know, Methadone sucks big time. IMHO, it is the worst, most evil pain killer on the planet. If you do get off of it, NEVER EVER get back on, please! For me, coming off that crap is double the pain of coming off natural dope like H or OX. The couple times I kicked it, I got a God Awful "chemical" come down. I was only on like 30mgs too, but it took me two solid days of sheet karate, and basic, "no sleep" agony until I started feeling just a bit human again. I say that, because i'm scared of your baby enduring it. I really think that some sort of supervised weening would be less destructive to you and your kiddo. You have to think, no matter how tough you are, you don't know how tough the little one is ya know. My advice, (and that;s all it is), would be to start immediately tapering down by very small amounts. I really think this would be the least of the two evils for your child. I can tell by your post that you genuinely care, and want to do the best thing. Check with your Doc, and I think he/she will agree that a taper is best all around. God Bless You!

the sad thing is i did tell my doctor thats what i wanted to do was to be weened off of the medication. She told me she was absolutely not willing to do that under any circumstances and that all she could do for me was keep me on a low dose my whole pregnancy. which i will not do i will not have a methadone baby period. I even threatened to just stop coming to her practice and not taking my doses anymore and her response was that it was my right to do so but she will still not taper me off of it. I begged trust me i tried. thats why she is leaving me to no other choice but to withdrawl on it by myself. because i refuse to be on methadone my whole pregnancy. it sucks that you say it is gonna be rough :( thats definently not something i wanted to hear but something i expected. like i said my baby is only 3 1/2 weeks right now so i know it will make it through since it doesnt even have a heart or eyes yet. its just a jelly blob it cannot feel my stress. but ugh this is gonna suck. im gonna start tomorrow and i will keep anybody that cares updated. thank you so much for your reply i very much appriciate it and i wont ever touch methadone again it was a stupid decision. i hope you have a wonderful night jaymanaa. thank you again

so far i am 27 hours still no symptoms so far. but im sure they will come

I assume she makes you dose while being watched, that sucks. Otherwise, you could have someone you trust taper you down. I totally agree that you don't want to have your baby be born with a methadone habit. I think your only option at this point is to seek out a doctor, maybe a recovery doctor that will understand your situation and help you taper. Maybe even with something other than methadone. I have to think that one would be sympathetic to your trying to do the right thing by your unborn child. I commend you for putting your baby first. I didn't mean to scare you with the withdrawal stuff, and there are things you can do to help. I really think you need to get a professional involved at this point. Prayers up for you and your little one.

Thank you very much, Im on my third day of withdrawl. Its literally the worst thing iv ever gone though. its like withdraw X Mega flu. but im hoping it will be over soon. i dont want to start on something else when iv come this far you know. :) your help was appreciated.

Thank you very much, Im on my third day of withdrawl. Its literally the worst thing iv ever gone though. its like withdraw X Mega flu. but im hoping it will be over soon. i dont want to start on something else when iv come this far you know. :) your help was appreciated.
Stay strong! I'm on day 3 of H wd & finally feeling somewhat better. I can't imagine being you :/ good choice not having a methadone baby tho

Listen to your doctor !!!!!!! Your baby is fine you are not going to want to cold turkey this but 30 mg is a small threshold dose . So wds will not be as bad but cold turkey is always hardest and you doctor is a doctor for a reason and this is a very good example of utilizing your doctors knowledge . Ask your doctor theee questions if you listen to your doctor you can probably low dose for two weeks and be ok but still this is about what your doc says especially because you are pregnant . Much love

Its not necisarily my "doctor" per say its just the methadone clinic there for people to get off of heroin and its the doctor who runs it. Its whatever Iv literally gone through hell, like my temp hit 104 yesterday and i was FREEZING, my body hurts and i cant stop puking, like you know when you feel really closterphobic in your own body sorta thing? and your own mind? anyways im 5 days gonna be six tongiht off of it so im definently come to far to go back and get back on it you know what i mean. like im stronger than that. i hope one more week and it will end. thats what im HOPING. but thank you everyone for your advice and ovo1024 stay strong you can definently do it. :)

Methadone Withdrawl, Need help with RLS and insomnia

Hey guys so i am 7 days into my methadone withdrawals. I've hit my favorite part of the opiate withdrawals.... the RLS and insomnia. D: I've never used any kind of meds or anything to help me get through a heroin or opiate withdrawal but i want to say methadone withdrawals are about ten times worse. So basically i was wondering if i can take a muscle relaxer or eat an eatable. if either one will help me sleep. im all out of ideas, iv also got a bottle of vicodin too but id rather not use that if possible i dont want this withdrawl to last longer than it needs to. so if any of those would help or if anyone has ideas on how the f i can sleep since im going on almost two days now no sleep please let me know.
Thank you.

Hey guys so i am 7 days into my methadone withdrawals. I've hit my favorite part of the opiate withdrawals.... the RLS and insomnia. D: I've never used any kind of meds or anything to help me get through a heroin or opiate withdrawal but i want to say methadone withdrawals are about ten times worse. So basically i was wondering if i can take a muscle relaxer or eat an eatable. if either one will help me sleep. im all out of ideas, iv also got a bottle of vicodin too but id rather not use that if possible i dont want this withdrawl to last longer than it needs to. so if any of those would help or if anyone has ideas on how the f i can sleep since im going on almost two days now no sleep please let me know.
Thank you.
If you can get ahold of Klonopin its like a miracle drug for RLS and since it's a sedative you will get some sleep. But you can try a muscle relaxer or edible first. There shouldn't be any issues. As a last resort start taking the vicoden. Omg I'm so sorry you're on day 7 :c and pregnant. Best wishes!

OVO your my favorite person ever. you helped me out so much during this whole thing. I live in a weed friendly state you can get marijana almost anywhere plus i have around 12 plants growing at home. So I tried the eatable last night and it relieved the symptoms a little and i was able to get about 4 hours of sleep last night. I also read on line that CBD oil does miracles with opiate withdrawals so im gonna go get some of that today as well. Thank you so much. I would try to get ahold of klonopin but every time iv taken that it knocks me out and I have three kids so unfortunately thats not an option.

OVO your my favorite person ever. you helped me out so much during this whole thing. I live in a weed friendly state you can get marijana almost anywhere plus i have around 12 plants growing at home. So I tried the eatable last night and it relieved the symptoms a little and i was able to get about 4 hours of sleep last night. I also read on line that CBD oil does miracles with opiate withdrawals so im gonna go get some of that today as well. Thank you so much. I would try to get ahold of klonopin but every time iv taken that it knocks me out and I have three kids so unfortunately thats not an option.
They just made weed completely legal in my state anyone over 21 can buy it so i feel ya on that :p CBD oil would be great tbh! I totally forgot about that. Yeah definitely don't take Klonopin if it's gonna Knock you out with 3 kids around lol. I just know your situation must be difficult so i like helping in anyway :)
I can't believe you're still going thru wds methadone last ridiculously long..

RLS/Akathisia is the worst symptom of my withdrawal. If I could get rid of that feeling inside me, I feel the rest is totally bearable. For what it's worth, Benzodiazepines are typically a great cure for these symptoms, but I've always found Gabapentinoids to be just as effective and they can be easier to acquire and less prone to habituation. Are you at all familiar with Gabapentin (Neurontin) or Pregabalin (Lyrica)?

OVO thats awesome. My state was one of the first to make it legal and we make like 3 mil a year in weed taxes for our schools and roads. Its gonna help your econemy out a lot wherever you are. and our opiate use here has gone down by 27%. its not the biggest change but anything really helps. yeah it is horrible, yesterday was awful, today is my Eighth day, and i woke up feeling a little better. im just horribly sweaty and kinda crampy :( and iv never heard of neurontin or lyrica, however i do have some flexeril from my last pregnancy and some somos laying around. im not worried about getting addicted to the benzos . Ick i hate the feeling of being tired and lazy. at least in opiates i can get past that feeling because i have been taking them long enough you know.

I live in Nevada so hopefully opiate use goes down here as well But with having las vegas & Reno as party towns Idk lol. If you have somas definitely use those. That should most def take care of the RLS. Flexerall imo is weak and probably wouldn't help much.

Bless your heart, that definitely sounds like what I went through and I was only on 30 too. You being 5 days, the worst should be behind you. Try to eat some chicken soup or something. Vitamins help too, especially the Bs.

Listen to your doctor !!!!!!! Your baby is fine you are not going to want to cold turkey this but 30 mg is a small threshold dose . So wds will not be as bad but cold turkey is always hardest and you doctor is a doctor for a reason and this is a very good example of utilizing your doctors knowledge . Ask your doctor theee questions if you listen to your doctor you can probably low dose for two weeks and be ok but still this is about what your doc says especially because you are pregnant . Much love
Nice just do it for the kid. Also it seems like you don't need to be dependant after this so why not just take the done or whatever one day and out 2 days in between next use. You'll get much higher and have no withdrawal symptoms.