• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Supplements seem to block amphetamine effect

Wendell Afhabmnesh

Greenlighter
Hello all,

I'm hoping that this meets the criteria for a "interesting puzzle" as mentioned in the rules as my experience seems to contradict some common knowledge about specific supplements' impact on stimulants. I am also genuinely curious what chemical factors may be causing my problem, I am not just trying for a buzz. I've basically figured out the practical solution to this issue but am curious about the possible mechanics and why it happened.

I'm prescribed 40mg adderall IR daily split in two 20mg doses. Last month, suddenly, my adderall began to have almost no effect except for a slight increase in heart rate and, if anything, more fatigue than baseline unmedicated. This continued for about 10 days with a negative impact on my job, attention and mood. I don't believe this was tolerance as I am long past the so-called honeymoon period and now value the mild, comfortable and familiar level of my current dose. I suspect this issue was the result of a supplement.

I believed the problem supplement was zinc, which I was taking too much of. It seemed to totally block the effect of adderall as well as kratom. Before bed, I was taking 22mg of zinc picolinate alone and a multivitamin (men's daily Target Up&Up brand) that also included 15mg zinc. I ceased the zinc and multivitamin while continuing some others irregularly, not every day (Irwin Naturals maca root/ashwagandha extract blend, magnesium oxide, fish oil, Source Naturals theanine serene). The adderall effect returned to a useful therapeutic level.

That is why I thought zinc was the issue, until this recent experience. After taking a little tolerance break, I found my 40mg adderall dose was interfering with my sleep. This usually goes away within a few days. To promote excretion of the amphetamine and good sleep, I got Vitamin C + citrus bioflavinoids (Whole Foods 365 brand) that contains 100mg Vit. C, 80mg calcium and 80mg bioflavinoids as well as a bottle of Solgar brand magnesium citrate 420mg pills. I took these before bed. I know that Vitamin C lowers the half-life of adderall but have seen some recommendations to take magnesium shortly before an amph dose.

After one night of Vit. C and mag. citrate, my amph dose seems to have had little impact. I even upped it by 20mg to test for tolerance and still experienced the mild, even slightly sedated effect that had occurred while taking zinc.

Does anyone have an idea what could be happening here? The only related literature I have been able to find is this study exploring interactions with zinc (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16190793/). I am at a loss because my experience conflicts with most advice I have seen regarding supplements and the apparent benefits of magnesium and zinc on tolerance, side effects, etc.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to learning from you all.

W

Things like this are just so uncertain. Most information is anecdotal about this that you can find and everyone can have a strange reaction due to something else other than drugs. Could be tolerance has finally built up to this point too.

Speaking of anecdotal reports after taking St. John's Wort for a week I did notice a very strong potientation of amphetamines. I took 10 mg and it felt like 30-40 (Normal recreational dose). This happens consistently when I have SJW in my system, so if you don't take SSRIs I would give it a try if this keeps up.

Perhaps try taking your adderall with a small dose of Milk of Magnesia (Magnesium Hydroxide). This has shown to increase bioavailability of most amphetamines when taken orally.

AFAIK, zinc should actually help with amphetamine tolerance and not denigrate the efficacy of it.

Get your hands on B1 and B6, quit the zinc, and try dextromethorphan at a medium dose without amphetamine, it should help resetting tolerance trough NMDA

I think it has to do with acidity in your stomach. I think less acidity allows you to absorb more of the drug