• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Summer Heights High (ABC, Wed 9.30pm)

^^^

Its not about net battling. Im not trying to prove otherwise on ANY point. Im simply saying I dont find the show funny. Its in poor taste at every angle imo. BUT i do acknowledge Lilley's acting/artistic abilities. End of story.

Lilley is a talented actor i will admit. But i just dont find the show funny. Its not shit. I acknowledge the fact people find it entertaining which is his point. But i just dont find it funny

Any show will ruffle a few feathers but after watching just one episode (and hearing people rave about it before i watched it) i can say i wont be watching another one. Not because i hate it. but i just dont find it funny or worth watching.

Each to their own.

*starfalls69* said:
No, not at all. I dont think people should be censored. I think people should be able to express themselves. I was an arts, music and drama magor so I know all about expression and arts etc. Lilley is a talented actor i will admit. But i just dont find the show funny. Its not shit. I acknowledge the fact people find it entertaining which is his point. But i just dont find it funny :\

ok.. thats great, but care to clarify the tasmania comment if it wasn't suggesting artists should choose not to show things cause it might be a sensetive topic?

I was using it as a comparison. Artists can show whatever they want. We dont have to watch it if we dont like it, thats true. Im certainly not wanting Aus original media and art censored in any way. I was trying to say that maybe the content should be thought about a bit more before it is screened.

But thats just my opinion. Im not an artist and certainly not and actor.

obviously it IS thought about and that is why it is screened. to get society talking about and addressing things it would otherwise prefer to ignore.

*starfalls69* said:
I actually like TTonight. Most of the stories covered aren't just spun out of proportion. Their stories are based on real life tings happenieng.

8o8o8o!!!

nickyj said:
^ I know! Thats what pisses me off, that there are actually people like that and lots of them! They should all be sterile.

I've come to realise this is also the reason why I don't like Kath and Kim :\

^channel 7's takeover was quite tragic. kath and kim isn't exciting enough to warrant ad breaks. :p

...kytnism...:|

OPINION

It's unfortunate but if you're upset, don't watch
By Tory Maguire
September 24, 2007 10:44am

THERE is something Annabel Catt's friends can do this Wednesday night if they want to watch TV without getting upset - watch Prison Break. Or they could try Damages, the last 15 minutes of Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader or World News Australia on SBS.

They're all on at 9.30pm, at the same time as Summer Heights High.

There is a lot that's unfortunate about the grisy co-incidence of Chris Lilley's hit new series and Annabel's terrible death.

It must have been awful in the Catt household last Wednesday night when, without warning, what appeared to be a sick joke about their beautiful daughter was played out.

The resemblance of the fictional Annabel to the real Annabel, both of whom died after taking ecstasy, was startling. Add in that the fictional Annabel's loose morals were pilloried mercilessly and, through the prism of the Catts' pain, it must have been excruciating.

That it was a coincidence would be no consolation to a family still in the first year of grieving. That they were not warned would have compounded it - the ABC handled the situation very poorly.

But, now Annabel's family and anyone else upset by Summer Heights High knows what they are in for, they have a choice - not to watch.

The ABC, quite rightly, has not pulled the program - in spite of demands from Tony Wood, who lost his daughter Anna to ecstasy, that all parents of drug victims receive an apology.

Comedy is one of the most powerful tools for societal self-examination.

Leaving aside the coincidence of the name and the physical resemblance of the fictional and real Annabels, there is absolutely no reason why comedy shouldn't be used to examine the use of ecstasy by otherwise well-behaved teenage girls.

More teens are going to watch Summer Heights High than any government anti-drug information campaign no matter how well intentioned.

People who are suffering have a responsibility to protect themselves. Otherwise our TVs, cinemas, newspapers, magazines and books would be cleared of car accidents, medical dramas, terrorism, bullying, and anything else that deserves to be examined in detail.

Annabel's brother said the ABC's apology was the end of the matter. It's pretty obvious they won't be watching on Wednesday night.

Anyone else who was upset should switch off, too.

News.com.au

Thanks hoptis. I dont know if its nit-picking or not, but I can't help but feel that there is still too much misinformation being spread around about the whole "ecstasy death" thing.

I hear Annabelle Catts died from PMA and we all know Anna Woods died not solely from the ecstasy, but from too much water. And yet, the general public is not aware of these distinctions. I am a frequent poster on the Vogue forum and LOTS of people there are very misinformed about drug use. They often have a very black and white attitude - you cant be a drug user without being an addict.

Summer Heights High is a great show and I think the idea they're trying to represent with the "Annabelle Dickson" story is not about drug use but instead Mr G's blatant opportunism. I think its too subtle for the general Australian public to perceive in such a way. Lots of people, when they hear the word "drugs", shut down any rational thought processes they may have and revert to the ol' "Drugs Are Bad Mmmkay" motto.

I think, if we lived in a more generally tolerant society the subtlety wouldn't be lost. But there will always be those that complain - and its always those who's voices are loudest. I hope one day Australia recognises drug use is a health issue, not a criminal one, and this will be reflected accurately in the media.

anyone know where I can download the first few episodes? seems like I can only download the latest episode from the abc website. hmmm

i feel a few more characters would have been ideal. would have been cool to see daniel come as an exchange student instead of ja'mie. the ja'mie and her friends scenario is actually a bit irritating seeing it's pretty much been done in the last series. i bet a great deal of her fans are girls the character is taking the piss out of much like ali g had it's fair share of wankster fans who just didn't get it

edit: in reference to COTB's post - samadhi

Last edited by a moderator:
My god. The hilarity of that show continues.

I laughed the whole way through, i think im gonna have to watch it again because i missed some from laughing so hard.

"Ha suck, you get the fat one!"

"I didnt touch you dock!!! why you tell everyone I touch your fuckin dock!!!"