• REAGENT TESTING & DRUG CHECKING Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Featured Link 1 Featured Link 2
  • RT&DC Moderators: arrall

Sulfuric Acid?

LSDMDMA&AMP

Bluelighter
Is it possible to use just sulfuric acid to test MDMA? I was under the impression that the sulfuric acid si what caused the color change in the marquis reagent.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Marquis reagent is used as a simple spot-test to presumptively identify alkaloids as well as other compounds. It is composed of a mixture of formaldehyde and concentrated sulfuric acid, which is dripped onto the substance being tested. A possible recipe for the reagent is to add 2 drops of formaldehyde 40% to 3mL of concentrated sulfuric acid. Different compounds produce different colour reactions. Also some times methanol is added to slow down the reaction process to observe the change in colour better. Methanol does this by slowing down the polymerisation process.

i am aware of the formaldehyde in marquis. I am asking if i were to use just sulfuric acid, would it produce the color change..formaldehyde isnt exactly easy to come by but sulfuric acid can easily be had OTC

^No it wouldnt work - for the sake of 9GBP its easier/safer to buy a marquis tester.

i would if i could acquire one locally...i might be grabbing some molly and id wanna test, ya know, and i thought i remembered that MDMA+sulfuric acid produced the same color change as MDMA+marquis

http://www.chemical-supermarket.com/product.php?productid=537

Buy that and give it to all your friends.

....Or drink it.

But it's actually very easy to compose the marquis reagent. H2SO4 is easy to get and i'm pretty sure you can get the formaldehyde at a pet store, you use it to clean fish tanks.

But H2SO4 is corrosive, and also emits noxious fumes, so if you don't know what you're doing you should probably just buy it and leave making it to the people who know what they're doing.

Buy a kit online

www.dancesafe.org for US based and I have just PM'd you another supplier based in the UK that will send your kit by post.

Just for the record the formaldehyde is needed as it dehydrates/complexes with the organic compound but needs the presence of sulphuric acid to catalyse the reaction (formaldehyde can either be reduced to methanol, oxidized to formic acid or form ketal like polymers with amine functions of compounds). Sulphuric acid on it's own is not going to cut the mustard.

(Big thanks to 'Fast n Bulbous' for the information)

formaldehyde is OTC like that? I didnt know that, thats why i never amde my own reagent.

Your gonna want to get formalin mixture with methanol. It will slow down the reaction and give it longer shelf life

Oh ya I need to mention you are going to want to do this outside with ventillation. Dangerous fumes...

...Unless you stashed a vial of sulphuric acid from a school science lab you'd have a bloody hard time getting your hands on sulphuric acid. And if you're going down that route why not bottle some ammonia too and sniff that for kicks ;)

Just get a tester. Simples

sulfuric is OTC brah, and apparently HCL will also work. I am in the US, not the UK

You can order it for a "school science project" or something. It's not like ordering a research chem...

i dont need to do that, i can just go to a pool store. Its cool brah. That Formalin will work though right mang?

Wheres 'Phase Dancer'? They would know exactly how to make this (Im sure theres a post on here explaining the method).