• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Suicidal Thinking on Anti-Depressants?

curious,

just "curious," but which antidepressants have you taken?

I'm not too keen on the brain chemistry when antidepressants are taken (something I probably should read up on for this thread) but I think most of them affect more than just serotonin receptors.

i.e. Effexor, I think, can also affect noradrenaline.

Efexor is a SRI not a SNIR but that's just a side note.

Alot of antidepressants work best with adults. They were designed by professional working adults and are based on adult themes that may not be compatable with adolescents, certainly not with children. I guess children tend to be running around taking adderal, ritalin & xtc. This plays itself out for a few years and when they realize they have a problem they turn to antidepressants. That is how I perceive it anyhow..

Ronald said:
Efexor is a SRI not a SNIR but that's just a side note.

Alot of antidepressants work best with adults. They were designed by professional working adults and are based on adult themes that may not be compatable with adolescents, certainly not with children. I guess children tend to be running around taking adderal, ritalin & xtc. This plays itself out for a few years and when they realize they have a problem they turn to antidepressants. That is how I perceive it anyhow..

effexor IS an SNRI. stop posting if you dont know what youre talking about.

Actually there is a bias of serotonin 4 : 1 noradrenaline.
This means whilst Efexor is an SRI it is not a SSRI.
I said it is not a SNIR, which is true. I never said that it wasn't a SNRI did i?

Ronald -

That is an interesting take. I never thought about it that way, that the mindset of the typical adult is more compatible with the effects of antidepressants than children.

In fact, just that it's acceptable that children go through much more drastic mood swings is worth considering...

Ronald said:
Actually there is a bias of serotonin 4 : 1 noradrenaline.
This means whilst Efexor is an SRI it is not a SSRI.
I said it is not a SNIR, which is true. I never said that it wasn't a SNRI did i?

SNRI and SNIR is the same shit. it doesnt matter whether you call it a Reuptake Inhibitor or Inhibitor of Reuptake. again, you dont know what youre talking about.

I think it's true. I'm on Effexor and I've got a plan all set out to finish it all.

I wonder why AD's do this?

A Very good question indeed, No Nay Xes.

And since I started this thread, I'll do some thinking and researching into the matter.

(If anyone else wants to take on the task, please feel free to help.)

What could cause anti-depressants to influence suicidal thinking?

Perhaps we can report our findings...

pinwheel - I have an idea, but I'm not sure 100%.

There are probably two reasons that suicidal thoughts/occurances occur.

1) People are rock bottom and want to kill themselves but don't have the energy to (i've been there). Then, the AD's make them feel a little better, thus giving them energy, and then they try to kill themselves.

2) AD's are hyped up to be the wonder pills that'll cure you for sure. Unfortunately, AD's only allow you to sort through your problems, nothing more (unless your depression is purely biochemistry). After a while, patients might begin to lose hope because they're not feeling too much better.

How's the research coming, though?

I have gone off efexor alot lately. I think there are some fluoxetines and some sertralines lying round the house. The problem with these is I find myself completely incapable of finding taking one worthwhile.

I used to use AD-s for a half of year. They should help me fight my anxiety and they did. After half a year I decided to finish with them and afterthat I have some problems with suicidal thoughts. Does anyone have such experiences?

kevin,

Do you see anyone about these thoughts? Perhaps you are going through some depression.

Feel free to participate in the forum, but I'm sure most of us if not all would tell you to speak to others about your feelings - friends, family - and maybe forge a relationship with a therapist.

P.S.

Welcome!

:) :eek:

P.P.S.

How long have you been free from the antidepressants and which one(s) were you on?

Re: Just dont look at me...

shal said:
Recently I've started Luvox. (Anti-Anxiety/Anti-depressant)

It's helped me so much with my anxiety but some of the thoughts have become so intense and my think has become so deep. It seems like I'm questioning every single thing. I'm finding all these little doubts. I'm so scared of whats happening to me. It's now at a point where I don't realise who I am anymore. I want to cry right now, but other times I want to laugh and make others laugh, and I feel so happy.

I dont know. I'm not suicidal but latetly I've thought "What if I just eat 50 Valiums tablets, fall asleep and escape myself forever". Sometimes I'm so happy and other times I'm so fucking down and depressed. It's one extreme to the other. I worry a lot about my future, about my appearance, I want to escape something but I don't know what ! ! !

I don't know.. Everyday I hope for better tomorrows. I see the world around me and I think unjust thoughts. I feel so left behind in so many ways. I wonder what it feels like to be truly happy again.

Some of the feeling are those of being lonely and unloved. I think back to the days when I was a normal human, living a normal life, a nice job, a good girlfriend. I had stability, and now look at me, I feel mentally wrecked, lacking self confidence, lacking direction. Its a moment of truth of in my life.

Fuck it. You know... I think I'll let life take it's course, what happens, happens. I have such little control these days that to live or die, either be, fate is not always in my own hands, or thoughts. If your meant to be alive, you live, and if death is to come to you, then you die, wether self inflicted, or taken from this earth unfairly...

I can't continue to be the person I am....

shals :(

I feel the same way that Shal does, I'm 21 and supposed to be having the fucking time of my life, but feel like I have the brain of a divorced 40 year old with hiv. Completely jaded in other words
I don't have panic attacks,
I just have GAD
I like things being perfect - a perfectionist, and having a damaged brain does fucked things for my ego, therefore I wonder what the use of living is (im not suicidal) when all life has ended up being is a constant struggle to do day to day things. I hate being mediocre, and that's what having anxiety has turned my personality into.
It's annoying have to put on a farce each day to act as though your happy and everything is coasting a long fine when really you're just empty. I don't believe anxiety can be *fixed*. Anxiety has changed me into a totally different person and it feels as though I don't even know who I am at times - second guessing what I say to people in fear of how they percieve me is starting to fucking annoy me. And what is the use of living each day in fear?
Its a brain malfunction and Ive been constantly told anxiety stays with you for life. I used to look at life as endless possibility for fun, now my brain confines me to a cell without walls. As much as it sounds fucking egocentric, I hate being average and that is excactly what anxiety does. You can't be spontaneous and exciting when you're constantly worrying about shit that has fuck all relevance 24/7. I'm very mucy pessimistic, I fucking loved my life before axiety. I was excessively happy and it was one stupid thing which set off anxiety and fuck does that piss me off.
I feel useless, boring, inadequate and it doesn't matter how many times people compliment me, it means nothing. I think they only way to truly beat anxiety (yes I contradicted myself) is develop a new identity and remove all the things that exacerbate anxiety. Which to be honest, I dont wan't to have a fucking bar of it !
People saying "what happened" you "use to be the life of the party" is really starting to fuck with me. Constantly fretting about my image is and making changes to my appearance to mask the hurt inside is really getting to me... They need to make a benzo that lasts a year at a time that would make me happy!
Now this sound like one great big fucking winge, and it is, none of my friends understand cause I'm known as the outgoing/outrageous one,but it feels as though its juts a bit act - inside Im lost and confused..
People who have never experienced anxiety, cannot relate to me and it really pisses me off, as they try and give a simple answer to your trouble and it just ends up frustrating me more! (that's not their fault though)
I have not read one post on bluelight where anxiety has been totally eliminated from ones brain, it always just ends up being a never ending cycle...
Sorry about the winge, but I do try and get out there and not play the victim , but I really just need to get this rant out. I also dont derive from things that would have easily kept me entertained in the past, and because of my stubborn nature - I take my bad moods out on the ones I love and that's the worst thing.
They say GAD is more debilitating than MS, or on par and people don't realise this. If i hear the excuse "Well you're just growing up, and you're changing" one more time I'm going to shit :p
Anyways rant over, theres people out their that cope with shit much worse than I have, so I just have to deal..

nah, you just sound like a general sad case. No offense , I guess you probably just need some cheering up.. I guess we all could but such is life :(

i take prozac, and it has seriously helped me, i was having suicidal thoughts earlier this year, and they have generally stopped.

i do tend to subscribe to the "ADs give you the energy to suicide" theory, and as such i was wondering about the research, cuz i haven't looked at it closely myself.. at what point are the suicidal thoughts appearing in those on AD's.. how long have they been on them? because if much of the research is pointing to increased tendencies within the first couple of months, i would put it down to a combo of increased energy, lack of joy, and shitty side effects.

if the results are pointing to increased suicidal thoughts after, say, 6 months on medication, then there must be something else going on.

i tried effexor but only briefly, and i was on lithium. compared to lithium, prozac is a picnic. god i hated that drug. i guess its different for everyone.

drugs do work for some, and to whoever posted questioning the usefulness of pharmacotherapy for biologically based depression, my memory is that it is considered more useful for these types, especially since they are traditionally resistant to placebo effects (unlike major nonmelancholic depression). but this is from a paper i did a while ago so dont take my word on it :)

i am also really troubled by the ever increasing tendency to give young people AD meds. most of them work on a "suck and see" basis, trial and error. this might be fine for a lot adults who feel crap (but not dangerously suicidal), but its totally different for kids going thru an awful stage of life and who's brains are still developing. i went through godawful, undiagnosed depression (bipolar) for years in highschool and following, but if i could wind back the clock, there is no way i would want to be medicated as i am now.

one last thought, regarding crying and ADs. y'know one reason i stopped lithium was cuz of the zombie effect - i really didnt feel much of anything, which for a bipolar person is scarily wierd. but i'm noticing a bit of that with the prozac, too. i have been really upset a few times, and not cried even though i wanted to. although i am still feeling music okay. i stopped the lithium when i could listen to the most hauntingly beautiful music and not feel a thing (i usually cry alot, whether with joy, sadness or just beauty). i am desperately hoping that isn't going to happen on prozac, esp since they just upped my dose.

okay, i'm just rambling now......

Last edited:
oh yeah... dionysius:

i dont think a good cheering up is what you need. i totally hear what you're saying. some people have really difficult and tragic lives. mine, by comparison, is peachy - nothing to complain about here. so WHY cant i fucking get it together?!? i am sick to death of having my own mind hold me hostage and make me lose much of myself and much of my potential. i hate it. i've had bipolar all my life, it has shaped me, but i hate it so much.

its not my fault and its not your fault, and dont let anyone belittle what you're dealing with. just know that things do get better. for all my woes, i am doing much better now than i did when i was 20 (10yrs ago, for reference). you just have to really WANT to defeat it, which is oftentimes difficult when it's whippin you. just keep chipping away :)

This is my experience anyway. Im 24 and reasonably fit. Eat well and take very little drugs these days:(

I was put on aropax some time ago to subdue panic attacks and i must say it worked wonders. Havint had one since. I still get a little anxiety from time to time however talking to myself and hiding from absolutly nothing has deffinatly become something of the past.

Having said that ever since i have been taking the medication the thought of self harm has become something that i can rationalise with alot less thought. I have never actually tried to kill myslef but the thought has crossed my mind with alot less doubt about the rationality of the decision.
Furthermore thoughts of killing others has become alot more prevelant in my thought patterns. I am a competent fighter having trained for many years and it is this discipline that has stopped me from attacking people over petty shit. When confronted i am ALOT more controlled but i know that if i ever snap i might not be able to stop until someon is truly hurt which scares the shit out of me. before taking the medication the thought of hurting another person was somewhat foregin which is really perculiar. I asked my doctor about it and he brushed it off as "silly" ..

Dunno wether itis the medicine of the hormones but if not the medication it is very coincidental.

On Paxil for about 8 months now.

Currently taking 50mg a day.

My depression is gone and anxiety is much better. I've had suicidal thoughts before paxil but they weren't serious. Sine taking Paxil I have had no suicidal thoughts at all.

I really think that these drugs affect people it drastically different ways. I've heard about a 13 year old girl who was very pretty but depressed, went on paxil and then killed herself.

It really shocked me because she had no reason in the world to do such a thing... it must be some horrible chemical interaction that drives people to do this.