• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Suicidal Thinking on Anti-Depressants?

For all your beliefs, there are many examples of people whose lives have beens aved by antidepressants.

I had moderate to (sometimes) severe depression for 3+ years. I saw psychologists, and it did nothing. I was happy with my life, for the most part, and still I was like this. I took a 6 month course of antidepressants and it lifted me clear out of my depression. Nothing else changed really. It hasn't returned.
hmm.

Paxil's the last medication I've used to manage my moods. That piece of shit's the most worst one I've done, it made me lose motivation, raised my suicidal thoughts about tenfold (being a borderline, that was literally a fatal move), turned me into cold-hearted zombie, etc. When I got off it, I went through a living hell of withdrawals. Paxil;s the LAST draw on taking SSRIs, I told my last 20+some years experienced psychologist to fuck off when he failed to mention other harmful side-effects of it when asked few times, and tried to prescribe me to another SSRIs, after I told him about my greatest experiences on Paxil.

When Glaxo finally reported the dark side of Paxil, years after it was approved by FDA and marketed like insane- it showed me that any drug companies can NOT be trusted on being honest about side-effects, even if my life actually depended on it.

Some anti-depressants work for some people, others don't.

I found that Effexor brought me up, not quite out of my depression, but definitely up. I had more energy, I could do the things I had to. Or most of them.

And here lies the danger, I guess. I felt better, and I had more energy, but I was still depressed. I was still suicidal. Maybe not as suicidal, but enough. And now I had the energy and the drive to do something about it.

But I still thank God for Effexor. Without it I would have faded away.

Not that this is very on topic, but I'd like to clarify I don't think anti-depressants are 'bad' or cannot work for people.

But I do think it's important to note what GlaxoSmithKline released.

As an aside note, I do believe different antidepressants are good for different people. I actually think Paxil is not that great, whereas someone with a fair bit of melancholy might do well with Wellbutrin. But then again, when I've had traumatic instances happen in my life, I've had a distinct feeling that matched what I felt while taking Paxil, and it helped me cope with the situation.

I attended a lecture yesterday on ayurveda, the Indian 'health science,' and I just find it interesting how by studying what makes up a person individually, specifically, with the elements, that you can better understand what might help a person lead a life of health.

I've been somewhat depressed lately, but I'm still not sure about an anti-depressant.

Perhaps in a few (hopefully fewer) years, we'll have a better understanding of which drugs work better for different people.

Just dont look at me...

Recently I've started Luvox. (Anti-Anxiety/Anti-depressant)

It's helped me so much with my anxiety but some of the thoughts have become so intense and my think has become so deep. It seems like I'm questioning every single thing. I'm finding all these little doubts. I'm so scared of whats happening to me. It's now at a point where I don't realise who I am anymore. I want to cry right now, but other times I want to laugh and make others laugh, and I feel so happy.

I dont know. I'm not suicidal but latetly I've thought "What if I just eat 50 Valiums tablets, fall asleep and escape myself forever". Sometimes I'm so happy and other times I'm so fucking down and depressed. It's one extreme to the other. I worry a lot about my future, about my appearance, I want to escape something but I don't know what ! ! !

I don't know.. Everyday I hope for better tomorrows. I see the world around me and I think unjust thoughts. I feel so left behind in so many ways. I wonder what it feels like to be truly happy again.

Some of the feeling are those of being lonely and unloved. I think back to the days when I was a normal human, living a normal life, a nice job, a good girlfriend. I had stability, and now look at me, I feel mentally wrecked, lacking self confidence, lacking direction. Its a moment of truth of in my life.

Fuck it. You know... I think I'll let life take it's course, what happens, happens. I have such little control these days that to live or die, either be, fate is not always in my own hands, or thoughts. If your meant to be alive, you live, and if death is to come to you, then you die, wether self inflicted, or taken from this earth unfairly...

I can't continue to be the person I am....

shals :(

Re: Just dont look at me...

shal said:
Recently I've started Luvox. (Anti-Anxiety/Anti-depressant)

It's helped me so much with my anxiety but some of the thoughts have become so intense and my think has become so deep. It seems like I'm questioning every single thing. I'm finding all these little doubts. I'm so scared of whats happening to me. It's now at a point where I don't realise who I am anymore. I want to cry right now, but other times I want to laugh and make others laugh, and I feel so happy.

I dont know. I'm not suicidal but latetly I've thought "What if I just eat 50 Valiums tablets, fall asleep and escape myself forever". Sometimes I'm so happy and other times I'm so fucking down and depressed. It's one extreme to the other. I worry a lot about my future, about my appearance, I want to escape something but I don't know what ! ! !

I don't know.. Everyday I hope for better tomorrows. I see the world around me and I think unjust thoughts. I feel so left behind in so many ways. I wonder what it feels like to be truly happy again.

Some of the feeling are those of being lonely and unloved. I think back to the days when I was a normal human, living a normal life, a nice job, a good girlfriend. I had stability, and now look at me, I feel mentally wrecked, lacking self confidence, lacking direction. Its a moment of truth of in my life.

Fuck it. You know... I think I'll let life take it's course, what happens, happens. I have such little control these days that to live or die, either be, fate is not always in my own hands, or thoughts. If your meant to be alive, you live, and if death is to come to you, then you die, wether self inflicted, or taken from this earth unfairly...

I can't continue to be the person I am....

shals :(

hey we had good chats tonight.

What you're feeling is not reality, it's not the normal situation... even though it seems very real right now, its just because your coping mechanisms have been weakened right now and things that arent normally a big deal seem huge.

You'll get back there soon man.. you just need to ride it out now and know that these feelings are an aberation, you're not going to normally feel this way.

Macksta - Your a really good friend.

Thanks dude.

shals :)

I got put on Citalopram when I was around 15, was at my wit's end (yeah I was 15, young, but I felt absolutely shit beyond belief)

I took them for a few months, hoping I'd get sorted out, but I just felt worse than ever. Kinda stoned, but without the good part. Just out of it, unable to cry or anything and wishing I was dead.

Stopped taking them and thought 'I'll sort this on my own' and had shitty withdrawals.

Still get depressed now, parents persuading me to go back on them, but I'd rather sort my own life out, don't wanna feel like that again.

ive been on steraline (zoloft) since march this year for panic attacks and theres been definate improvements, no more panic attacks, alot less depresion and anxiety particularly social anxiety... still get anxious n depressed but no where near as much as befor, what i dont like about them is the loss in sex drive, it makes been drunk not feel as great anymore, makes smoking ciggoes more enjoyable

I was put on ciprimal, it made me incredibly suicidal after 2 days on it i ended up in the ER for a overdose.
They then put me on effexor wich i am now still on wich is a bit better but still gives me bad suicidal tendencies

I was on paxil for about 2-3 years i cant rememebr, and i have been off of it now for about 2 months...and jesus what a difference, im now taking lexapro...paxil really made me like a zombie...things that should have made me upset didnt, i didnt really care how my actions would hurt other people. i was a totall bitch now that i think of it. However i didnt have as many panic attacks and gained a lil confidence. Right after i stopped taking it i cried almost everynight...but once withdrawl was over i feel great.

Schmacky said:
I was on paxil for about 2-3 years i cant rememebr, and i have been off of it now for about 2 months...and jesus what a difference, im now taking lexapro...paxil really made me like a zombie...things that should have made me upset didnt, i didnt really care how my actions would hurt other people. i was a totall bitch now that i think of it. However i didnt have as many panic attacks and gained a lil confidence. Right after i stopped taking it i cried almost everynight...but once withdrawl was over i feel great.

Huh. I don't remember crying on anti-depressants, and one specific time when every part of me wanted to cry and I had to struggle to bring up the emotions.

I'm wondering what other people's experience has been with crying while taking or coming off anti-depressants...

An Associated Press article I just read describes how the Food and Drug Administration will "prepare new warnings" because of a new analysis by that agency that "backs earlier suggestions of a link between at least some antidepressants used by children and suicidal tendencies."

Now, I'm sorry for the possible vagueness of that last paragraph, but the article is quite murky. The important thing, I think, is that we pay attention to this news from the FDA and especially in the next couple of months, because the article states the FDA will take this news to its "scientific advisers" and decide what the warnings will be.

To be fair, the article states that Prozac "showed far fewer problems those on other drugs," but just read that paragraph in its entirety.

Well, again, I'm sorry that the article is fairly unclear, but I think the issue is of great importance (especially for the youth!) and I encourage most everyone to read it.

Here is the Link: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...=/ap/20040821/ap_on_he_me/antidepressants_fda

Please feel free to comment on this article and encourage debate!

There's too much stress on anti-depressants as being miracle pills that will change you. Unless you're depression is purely biological chemistry imbalance, AD's only decrease the pain so you can figure out what the problems are.

If AD's weren't thought of as miracle pills, I'm sure suicidal thinking will go down. Why? Because if one is taking these pills and one is not feeling that much better, they'll feel that there's no hope and thus suicidal.

I'm not sure about that, sexyanon.

The Food and Drug Administration itself is putting out the information that we may need to look at this link between children on antidepressants and suicidal thinking. An article (link below) I'm reading now describes on FDA analysis that showed depressed children on antidepressants were 1.8 times more likely to have "suicidal tendencies" than depressed children taking a placebo. The analysis is compiled from 25 studies involving 4,000 children.

Hmm, actually this article is worth reading...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm..._hsn/cautionurgedonantidepressantsandchildren

Please be aware that these drugs can encourage suicidal thinking and behavior, that these drugs are still relatively new and are not perfect.

And please, if you're on these meds, feel free to post about how they make you feel. [/B]

I know some very reputable people, and regarding this statement, I feel it is incorrect.

A majority of the time, patients who are depressed ALREADY entertain the idea of suicide. The fact that they are depressed causes them to be "lazy" (for lack of a better term) and not carry out suicide.

Once an anti-depressant (whichever of the multitude) kicks in, usually patients have more gumption to attempt suicide. Hence, they are not AS depressed anymore, and now have more motivation to actually carry it out. Before, however, they did not, because people who are severely depressed normally do not have the will to do anything whatsoever, and that includes taking their own life.

Re: Re: Suicidal Thinking on Anti-Depressants?

curiousgeorge said:

A majority of the time, patients who are depressed ALREADY entertain the idea of suicide. The fact that they are depressed causes them to be "lazy" (for lack of a better term) and not carry out suicide.

Once an anti-depressant (whichever of the multitude) kicks in, usually patients have more gumption to attempt suicide. Hence, they are not AS depressed anymore, and now have more motivation to actually carry it out. Before, however, they did not, because people who are severely depressed normally do not have the will to do anything whatsoever, and that includes taking their own life.

curiousgeorge,

I've heard this argument many times, that antidepressants give depressed people the "will" to committ suicide, like it's something that requires courage.

The converse of the argument is that antidepressants actually manipulate brain chemistry in such a way as to cause some sort of reaction that would result in suicide, especially in young people.

Given young peoples drastic changes in mood already, I don't think it's a wholly unreasonable hypothesis.

I have some Efexor tablets lying around that I take from time-to-time. The doctor liked these ones because it is not that important to take them all the time like some of the hardcore antidepressants. I've not really had any bad effects with this medication although I dont really feel like taking it that often. It is not that I have something against it, I just dont care for it that much.

I fail to appreciate a link between SRI's and suicide. I think there are substances sold OTC like alcohol, tobacco, coffee and chocolate. Giving people SRI's cannot serve to make things any worse than they are already. If I was taking a bunch of pills that gave me negative side effects then I would sooner flush them down the toilet than I would commit suicide.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Suicidal Thinking on Anti-Depressants?

pinwheel said:
curiousgeorge,

I've heard this argument many times, that antidepressants give depressed people the "will" to committ suicide, like it's something that requires courage.

The converse of the argument is that antidepressants actually manipulate brain chemistry in such a way as to cause some sort of reaction that would result in suicide, especially in young people.

Given young peoples drastic changes in mood already, I don't think it's a wholly unreasonable hypothesis.

dually noted,

but coming from personal experience, I think that the previous holds stronger than simply manipulating brain chemistry (and not even really complex brain chemistry, just increasing the amount of free floating serotonin in the synapses). I've been on Prozac before, and while I entertain the thought of suicide everyday (more for ...ENTERTAINMENT purposes) I thought about it more than I did while NOT taking it, and cretainly had more intense feelings about wanting to commit it . Whatever though, I may sound like I'm stepping on my own foot, but I would say that I had more MOTIVATION than anything else when on SSRI's.