• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Sudden hypersensitivity to alcohol (1 glas of wine knocks me out?)

WilliamSSS

Greenlighter
Title says it all. Used to drink 5-6 beers a day or 3-4 bottles of wine a week. One week ago, out of the blue, I could not tolerate any alcohol any more. 1 glas of wine felt like a whole bottle and is enough to make me black out. Extremely interested to see if anyone went through something similar.
Thank you.

Yeh, sudden intolerance to alcohol can indicate liver damage. You'd be wise to get checked out or at least listen to your body and seriously cut down the amount you drink.

I recently noticed I can't drink one malt liquor without, after the buzz wears off half a day or more later, getting sick and wanting to vomit. This is long after the effect has worn off. I think liver damage is the culprit, due to help C and all the meds I am on.

That could be a sign of sever liver damage. Was it just a one time thing, or is all the time?

Have you been an alcoholic/ heavy drinker for a long period of time?

You need to get checked out and don't anymore until you do.

Liver failure is not how you want to die. I had a friend who died from it and it was a horrendous death.

I've known a few victims of liver failure myself, dialysis the whole lot. I have never been a heavy drinker, but I did abuse loperamide every day for three years. So if it even has heptatic effect then signs point to that too

Have you quit any medication use since the times you were drinking more? I noticed quitting Haldol made alcohol more potwnt and more euphoric for me forcing me to sleep after 4-5 alcohol units if not on stims which is probably due to loss of dopaminergic neurons because of Haldol's neurotoxicity and the new neuronal pathways created to alleviate that loss which might be the reason for more sensibility to alcoholic beverage induced narcotic effects.

Now that you mention it, it's usually when I run out of my script (that I have the itch to let myself drink). So that makes sense, and I hadn't thought of it. (To clarify I go to alcohol because it is the only thing available, not that coming off meds gives that specific urge.) It's appreciated Gaffy. Your insight...

I also remember having read an article on Haldol's substained use in alcoholic schizophrenics which usually didn't last longer than 3 months when quitting it was a solution or resulted in lower alcoholic beverage administration. Antipsychotics make alcohol less prone to creating ease of mind and dampens its effects, I wonder what other chemicals might be the cause for a sudden increase in alcohol's all-over potency when use cessation is experienced.

Also some wines are more potent due to polyphenols and other chemicals present in raisin, exg sime "virginia creeper" strains have a vasodilator and anxiolytic effects when drank as a tea beverage, so if your wine is made from strains containing more organochemicals having effects on GABA or other relaxation-biased neuronal receptors it might be a cause to buy some more of that bottle! ;)