Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Sudafed PE??

x-es

Bluelighter
Hi all. I see that Sudafed has recently been changed to Sudafed PE. I took some for hayfever recently and found that they didn't work as good as the old pseudoefedrine ones. The active ingredient is Phenylephrine Hydrochloride. I know they've changed them for obvious reasons but my question is this, do you get the same minor speedy effects from taking a few of them? And also what are some possible negative effects from taking said amounts?

From MIMS online concerning IV phenylephrine HCl ( the only pure form of PE listed with a good description of it's actions)

Phenylephrine hydrochloride, a synthetic sympathomimetic agent, is a vasoconstrictor and pressor drug chemically related to adrenaline and ephedrine.

Pharmacology. Phenylephrine hydrochloride produces vasoconstriction that lasts longer than that of adrenaline and ephedrine. Responses are more sustained than those to adrenaline, lasting 20 minutes after intravenous and as long as 50 minutes after subcutaneous injection. Its action on the heart contrasts sharply with that of adrenaline and ephedrine, in that it slows the heart rate and increases the stroke output, producing no disturbance in the rhythm of the pulse.

Phenylephrine hydrochloride is a powerful postsynaptic alpha-receptor stimulant with little effect on the beta-receptors of the heart. In therapeutic doses, it produces little if any stimulation of either the spinal cord or cerebrum. A singular advantage of this drug is the fact that repeated injections produce comparable effects.

The predominant actions of phenylephrine hydrochloride are on the cardiovascular system. Parenteral administration causes a rise in systolic and diastolic blood pressures in humans and other species. Accompanying the pressor response to phenylephrine hydrochloride is a marked reflex bradycardia that can be blocked by atropine; after atropine, large doses of phenylephrine hydrochloride increase the heart rate only slightly. In humans cardiac output is slightly decreased and peripheral resistance is considerably increased. Circulation time is slightly prolonged and venous pressure is slightly increased; venous constriction is not marked. Most vascular beds are constricted; renal splanchnic, cutaneous and limb blood flows are reduced but coronary blood flow is increased. Pulmonary vessels are constricted and pulmonary arterial pressure is raised.

The drug is a powerful vasoconstrictor, with properties very similar to those of noradrenaline but almost completely lacking the chronotropic and inotropic actions on the heart. Cardiac irregularities are seen only very rarely even with large doses.

I think you will be quite disappointed with phenylephrine. It may be used as a precursor for more interesting compounds. Perhaps some even being psychedelics. If you are so inclined.

The absorption of (+)-pseudoephedrine is nearly
quantitative. The maximum plasma peaks can be
reached within 0.5 to 2 hours. The substance is
distributed in the extracellular space. The apparent
distribution volume is between 3 and 5 l/kg. The
elimination of (+)-pseudoephedrine is predominantly
renal. The biological half-life of (+)-pseudoephedrine
is approximately 6 hours whereas that of
phenylephrine is approximately 2.5 hours.
Therefore, to reach effective phenylephrine plasma
levels a frequent and inconvenient administration is
indicated.

That shit doesn't work for me it say take 1 tab every 4 hours i tried 4 at once and still didn't work as well as the old sudafed. fuckin joke

i asked my boyfriend to get me some sudafed (i have a cold) and he came back with sudafed pe, i made him take them back and get the chemist to give him 'real sudafed', she asked a lot of questions and got a bit concerned but gave him the day and night ones which still contain
day: pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 30mg, paracetemol 500mg
night: pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 30mg, paracetemol 500mg, triprolidine hydrochloride 1.25mg

they worked fine for me.