• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Subutex taper

Mr_Pin

Greenlighter
So after a 5-6 month habit of injecting heroin waking up every morning feeling dope sick, I just done a 4 day bup taper, 1st day being a detox so no pre withdrawals and then 2mg then maybe 0.7 and 0.4 and today nothing and so far I feel fine.
I'm just wondering what every one else's experience is with a bup taper and why it's like magic when it comes to coming off the gear?
Unfortunately mentally maybe the taper is to quick as am planning to get some gear at the weekend but hoping to keep my habit under control so no physical withdrawals

i'm all for rapid sub/bupe tapers, i think they're the best means of stepping down off of opiates - but yours is far too rapid, especially for an IV user.
i would normally recommend at least a week, and even then they're no walk in the part... four days man, gonna be brutal.
do you at least have some comfort meds?

There isn't any mystery here, you're just replacing a short acting full agonist with a partial acting long agonist without taking it long enough to become dependent or go into withdrawal from.

The more you switch back and forth between buprenorphine and other opioids, however, the less effective buprenorphine will become. It won't loose its effectiveness entirely by any means, but the more you jump back and forth the more tolerant you'll become to buprenorphine long term (even if you don't develop dependency you can still develop a kind of tolerance), requiring you to need more buprenorphine for it to be effective.

Now, do what works for you - we are all a little different with this. Buprenorphine certain can be a blessing as a comfort medication for detoxing, just keep an eye you don't have to rely on it too often for this purpose or it will indeed lose some of the magic.