• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Substance Use Disorder = Can't drive a car. Any advice?

blue comet

Bluelighter
I was prescribed a somewhat high dose of gabapenin (1200mg-2100mg per day) for a period of seven weeks in February- March 2015. It caused a whole lot of side effects when I was on it so I got off of it cold turkey and have never fully recovered from the severe physical and psychological side effect damage that it caused, even two years later.

A big problem I continue to have is that I am unable to drive. Aside from some side road traveling, I am unable to drive a far distance by myself, drive at night, or drive on highways. I get severe anxiety and painful neuropathy on the right side of my body, especially in my arm, leg, hand and foot. I work five miles away from my apartment and have to take a bus to work.

Naturally, this sucks and I've had enough of it and want this to stop. Has anyone ever dealt with anything like this or know anyone who has? What type of tactics could be used to combat these side effects (besides "ignoring it")?

Any my thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

its been two years? jesus sorry to hear mate.
and this was all due to a high dose of gabapentin?
i don't know a lot about this but i accidentally stumbled on this centre for chemo's website and there's a woman in the comments who has also had neropathy for two years - here's the comment;

"I have neuropathy in hands and feet from chemo 2 years ago. I havepromblems with most medications and have had severe side effects from simple everyday drugs. I can not take Lyrica or Cymbalta and
have finally decided to try and talk myself out of all the pain and
discomfort.My suggestion to the medical profession is that
they question patients in depth before starting chemo. My problems
resulted from a triple dose due to timing ....time the rest of my life will pay for the rush to finish the treatments."

I'm not entirely sure where i was going with this but i thought i'd at least leave my findings here,
have you looked into whether you could get some compensation for this?
sorry to hear again man, wish you the best in the future and hopefully things begin to improve soon

That's awful I'm sorry to hear that you had so much trouble with gabapentin. It sounds like quite a severe reaction for that damage to happen in seven weeks. May I ask why you were prescribed it?

While the person says you should get compensation be both know that the world just isn't that simple, but you definitely deserve it and honestly I see a class action lawsuit from gabapentin coming up fruition one day for being over and irresponsibly inappropriately prescribed as if they are the new opiates.

I highly recommend researching herbal formulas, dietary changes, and possibly noocept stack stuffs or whatever they are called, but don't get a pre made one although instead learn the ingredients and make it yourself.

I'm not a Dr so don't just go on my advice, but research it and hopefully it can help you find your own answer. I wish I do not I'm not in the best of situations.

I have reached out to med mal attorneys regarding this, but all have decided not to take on my case because 1) there is no medical documentation of any damage as all tests (MRI, CT scan) are normal and 2) they don't believe they can win.

I originally went to see an outpatient psychiatrist that was from the detox center I went to for benzos/ambien. I was six months out of detox and doing very well but my insomnia was horrible, plus I had some lingering heart palpitations, so I inquired about a short term medication to get me through the last of my issues. What a mistake that was

I dont have much advice on what to do but I vividly remember your gabapentin hell and just want to say Im glad you still fighting. Idk if you remember my response but I mentioned neural plasticity a bit and, as my mom has fibromyalagia and probably some diabetic neuropathy and takes pregablin and has taken gabapentin, it seems that this change in plasticity is starting to become a more mainstream culprit as to the deleterious effects of these drugs. A blurb in a newspaper mentioned it as a possible candidate for decreased life expectancy in patients on the drugs.

Wow, I've never heard of a reaction to even high dose Gabapentin like this. I'm going to go look for your old threads, please keep us updated if your status changes - best of luck