• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids subs+klonopin? why the hype of death?

en10se

Bluelighter
I was curious as to why when I googled the two, I read people saying that the interaction is asking for a coffin...

I just had my klonopin reinstated after 3 weeks of trying to be off it (anxiety disorder), and now I am on suboxone dailey, I just took my first .5mg klonopin and was wondering why I read the red flags?

Because both are CNS depressants and can increase respiratory depression.
Both on their own can result in respiratory depression when overdosed and when taking the two together they exponentially increase respiratory depression, thus increasing the risk of dying of asphyxiation.

Last edited:
Ya I get yah, what would i look out for. Even if I have combined the two im curious as to what would happen before any dangerous depression, even if its unlikely in my case.

Before dangerous respiratory depression you would feel a great synergy between both of them, more euphoria etc. but one minute you could feel fine and the next you could wake up in your own puke / get a shot of naloxone by paramedics because someone found you unconscious.
One sign could be that it becomes increasingly hard to breath and you start nodding

Ok good to know. if both drugs, were taken oraly/subligual would it go from conscious to unconscious that quick? I would assume it would with IV, but with those routes would you have some warning time, like you said nodding would be one of the symptoms.

I'm not sure, maybe you get some warning time, but it could change to quickly for you to realize. Better be safe and don't do it, or if you really want to, have people around that can call paramedics / bring you to the hospital
Just read some posts in The Shrine, a lot of people died because of this combination.

How much Suboxone are you taking? Buprenorphine causes less respiratory depression than other opioids but it has such a high affinity that Naloxone does not remove it from the receptors in case of an OD.

I'm on 4mg suboxone ONCE daily, and .5mg klonopin TWICE daily.

Well was on 8mg for a while but recently went down to 4mg because after reading up on it, the 4mg should be just as good as 8mg if not better.

If you are used to both meds it should theoretically not be a problem. But never drink alcohol with them or it could get dangerous!

ya thats what i thought, dosed the kpin and have been fine, its been 3:30 minutes and no problem. Just googled it to check it out and found some stuff that was kind of scary so decided to make a post to be safe.

Its the same as any opiod and benzos it theoretically can kill you but if you got some tolerance you'll be fine. Knew a guy that was prescribed 8mg klonopin a day along with adderalls and subs to boot. He sold the subs and shot dope and he's still alive. I used to mix subs, alcohol, and benzos regularly. It aint no big thing man.

^I take 20mgs of suboxone once per day and 0.5 - 1mg twice daily of alprazolam and I have no issues. If you had no opiate tolerance and you get high on suboxone then that could be an issue quickly I suspect.

If your tolerant to the suboxone and opiates in general then I think its a safe combination. Tolerance is the key though. If you are not physically dependent on opiates than the danger level is greatly increased.

thx guys. ya I am tolerant to both, and they are therapeutic doses so its gucci just wanted some insight, appreciate the comment s:)

It's fine as long as you are tolerant to opiates and on Subs for maintaince.. If you don't have a tolerance or your tolerance is low it's not a good idea at all as before I got on Subs for maintaince a strip would get me pretty damn buzzed for a while, even when I relasped for about 10 days(my longest relapse since i've been on subs..) on Oxy at doses of 150-200mg and took the strip I actually got buzzed off it. But anyway, it's fine as long as it's theraputic doses, though I did get in a habbit of abusing them and taking up to 8mg+ sometimes of either klons or xanax with a few grams of Gabapentin to catch a buzz/nod, though the synergy I think was more of such a high dose of to Gabageric drugs and not between the subs, but I am on maintaince....wish I would have never EVER started abusing them like that though. Rebound anxiety and deppression from it sucks, now I just take 2mg at most and do not mix it with anything..trying to stop them honeslty unless i get a script for them..I started it outta boredom the synergy/buzz isn't really that great...

Buprenorphine doesn't cause near the amount of respiratory depression that typical full agonists do. It's definitely safer to combine a benzo with buprenorphine than say heroin, especially if you are tolerant to both.

As far as falling out... Anytime I ever have (just from opiates alone though), I don't remember breathing getting harder or anything. I would just wake up in a daze and not remember passing out.