• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Suboxone withdrawal(wack doctor or good advice?)

maneatingmermaidz

Greenlighter
Hi all,
I am currently 48 hrs clean off of 1 mg of suboxone. I started it about a year and a half ago to break a heroin habit and have gone from 16 mg to 1mg in that time. My old doctor wanted me to taper off when I felt ready and I was planning to follow the typical plan I have seen on here. I just moved and got a new sub doctor and the things he is telling me are strange/methods I've never heard of. He basically told me I either need to jump off at 1 mg and get a vivitrol shot or go back up to 4mg so it "covers the receptor". He says tapering is the most difficult method. This is incredibly weird to me. I know the vivitrol shot doesn't help any withdraw symptoms, but he tries to make it sound like it does. He wants me to get it for 6 months and put me on these really intense antidepressants when I'm not even depressed. Quite frankly, I don't even feel like I need the shot for cravings, etc. Is this normal or is my doctor wack? I really want to do this in the healthiest, easiest way possible.
Thanks!

I am no sub expert, by any means.

And this sounds wack to me.

Putting you at 4mg, when you’ve already tapered successfully to 1mg? Ummmm what?

Yes, in a scientific manner of speaking, I can see the point of wanting to block receptors. Especially when it takes awhile to get the brain "rewired," so to speak. You didn't mention how long your H habit was. However, each brain is different!! Go with your gut. You know your body better than anyone. If there is an issue later, than you can always start that path. Way to go getting here!! Keep moving forward. :)

Your experience with medical professional with this is indeed wack, but very common. If you are comfortable at 1mg/day and it isn’t a problem craving wise, why not just let him prescribe you 4mg/day and only take 1mg? If you don’t want to taper off and get on naltrexone, fuck that noise. You are the one paying for treatment and it’s your health that is at issue, so one way or the other you need to do what YOU feel is right for you. A lot of learning in recovery revolves around learning how to navigate a the really disfunctional field of “addiction medicine.” Most doctors don’t have a clue...

Perhaps find a better doctors? One who is willing to actually help you achieve your own goals, instead of some paternalistic quack who just pushed their own agenda on you...

Get a second opinion if you disagree, but I will say this new doctor sounds unreasonable. Try talking to your primary care doctor if you have one.

I would express that the biggest fear is that this disruption in what was a stable dose that through u-tox proved that no other use occurred. What he is suggesting could cause side effects that could easily create or if already there it could exacerbate those issues. That being said it can be a miracle cure all too, but with all of the risks it could be a problem. I just weeks not be up to accepting it.

The other issue I see is disrupting the white balance of metabolites in your system as you didn't start at 1 mg. There's just many issues wtf what he's doing. If anything he should fight with your insurance for zubsolv as they make the low dose you use.

Your experience with medical professional with this is indeed wack, but very common. If you are comfortable at 1mg/day and it isn’t a problem craving wise, why not just let him prescribe you 4mg/day and only take 1mg? If you don’t want to taper off and get on naltrexone, fuck that noise. You are the one paying for treatment and it’s your health that is at issue, so one way or the other you need to do what YOU feel is right for you. A lot of learning in recovery revolves around learning how to navigate a the really disfunctional field of “addiction medicine.” Most doctors don’t have a clue...

Truth .

I don't suggest vivitrol at all. Your doctor wants money and you quitting doesn't make him money. So yeah stick with your plan. You could taper lower though for easiest possible withdrawal. Many people go all the way down to under .5 mg

Agreed, a proper taper is definitely required. Some people go down to 0.25mg too, which is IMO a really good idea. Getting off 4mg was surprisingly managible but faaaar more unpleasant than it needed to be.