• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone not working well when I dose before I get out of bed

RTrain

Bluelighter
TL;DR - I've only plenty of occasions(20ish, so good sample size and it seems to always be the case) take Subs while lying in bed, before I wake up(I pop the strip and lie down for another 20-30 mins and let it sit there while I relax a little longer in bed, I always seem to have the Sub/saliva mix still in my mouth, sometimes I don't even fall asleep fully so I can tell I don't swallow it)...and find that doing this causes the Sub to have diminished effects and for some reason not give me the usual energy and anti-depressive effects that the sub typically gives me.

Pretty simple issue. Some days I wake up and I don't have to get up for at least 30 more minutes(or at all if I don't have work, so just want to lie in bed a little while longer) instead of getting up. Typically I wake up and if I'm working I pop my dose and take a shower, but the time I am done with that and dressed it's had plenty of time to adsorb. Otherwise I'll get up and pop the Sub, the sit up in bed and read for about 25-30 mins. Maybe little overkill with how long I let it adsorb, but I figure can't be a bad thing.

On the days I don't decide to just let it sit in my mouth while I lie in bed - and this has happened plenty of times, well into double digits I would say - I seem to wake up and not get the same effects that I usually get from the Suboxone. I will feel sluggish, depressed, bored, etc. Usually once the Sub kicks in, which is about an hour for me, I start to go feel awake and upbeat.

Now I know I am not swallowing the Sub, while I am letting is dissolve while I sleep, because I wake up with a mouth full of it and still can taste that follow after taste once the orange taste fades away. I actually did this the last 2 days and both days I was very much depressed and not my usual self on the Subs, I find it kind of odd. I wonder if it has to do with my blood pressure and also how circulation works while lying in bed sleeping, as opposed to once you have awoken. Maybe not enough blood is reaching the peripheral areas of the body(in this case the veins under the tongue don't adsorb enough of the medication).

It's odd, yesterday I popped my dose and lay in bed for set phone timer for 20 minutes with it in my mouth. When it went off I still had the Sub/saliva mix in my mouth, I only half dozed off, I then set the alarm for 10 more mins to let it adsorb some more and then once that went off I swallowed the mixture. I then set phone timer for another 25 or 30 mins and after that I finally got up. I felt fine at this point because the Subs had its hour to kick in and I was feeling decent. still groggy from waking up but in 15 minutes a coffee fixed that. Still, I never felt good like I do for about 1.5-2 hours after I take my Sub in the morning(after that I just feel not sick, I guess normal would be a good way to term it). Today did the same thing as yesterday, but instead of sleeping that extra 30 mins I got up, so still had about 30 mins form when I woke for Sub to kick in. Yet again, it was a lackluster effect from the Subs, not my usual. I was depressed, felt worn down, just not my normal self on the Subs.

I'll repeat, this is not just the last 2 days, I have extensive history of Sub use and fidn that everytime I take it like that (letting it adsorb while lying in bed) it just seems to drag down my whole day. I know simple answer to the problem, don't do that. But, can anyone explain why this would be the case. It really makes little sense, aside form humans being creatures of habit and messing with sleep cycles combined with psychoactive meds can cause them to not work as well. Also does anyone else like to let the Subs adsorb while in bed and then get up and not have to wait that 30-60 mins to feel ready to go in the morning? Or has anyone tried it and felt the same or opposite effects I have felt?

P.S. - Sorry I didn't put this in the megathread and move it there if you wish, but I don't want it buried under a question that post-cedes it in the thread and steals any attention my post gets. Or I post in the middle of a active discussion in the megathread, so it ends up being ignored and ultimately buried under other posts.

Didnt read the whole post RT, but

Buprenorphine worked the absolute best for me, when I woke up 90 - 120 mins
before getting up (staying up) especially when I slept it (which was 95% of the time)

dont have a clue why but it was highly noticeable...

Edit: these were generic subutex tabs 3-4 mg (havent experienced the strips)

Last edited:
You should've read the whole post.... There point was the sub kicked in too slow, but rather would have a diminished effect if laying down vs being up. I don't have advice OP, but thought it was important for the board to point out F&W was not only blatantly rude posting they didn't even read the ops post, but attempted to give advice that was completely off topic in relation to the OPs question.

Edit: FW I made a legit point. I have nothing against you... Stop trying to trigger me to fight with you as I have no interest in derailing this thread. In fact this original accusation was meant to have people actually read the OP vs just yours and reacting maybe after skimming. Seriously grow up and be a true blue not a gl

Last edited:
It's all good, I could see the post being misconstrued because dosing Subs(or -oxone or -utex, I don't think there's a difference as I've used both) is probably one of the most hotly debated topics on almost any drug, HR, or addiction&recovery related forum. Just think of all the subjects that have been beat to death on forums: Precipitated withdrawals, the "less is more" theory, whether it's best as a detox aide/short-term taper device/or a a maintenance drug. I am just happy I got a few replies, to be honest, because I've read damn well near a thousand threads on subjects that have been beat to death. People love to respond to the posts that everyone knows the asnwer to(or atleast has some experience on or an opinion about)

I like to think this is not a subject that is common, but should be relatable to most who take Subs. Maybe there is something to consider when taking it in the morning, if you're trying to sleep off the hour of so it takes to kick in by taking it so it's already hitting peak plasma levels when you wake up. I've read about 1 or 2 other people doing similar things because of how long it takes to kick in, but wasn't much conversation about it.

F&W kinda went on the opinion that the best way to take it is actually similar to the way I was trying to describe as an inferior way for me to take my "wake up" dose. He was a bit vague in his description of exactly what he meant by waking up 90-120 minutes before 'staying up'. I assume he meant he'd pop in his dose and leave it to dissolve while sleeping another 1.5-2 hrs. Thus, he'd wake up with his Sub in full effect and not need to wait that hour-ish amount of time when you're kinda dragging ass until it kicks in. granted, it's not like waking up when using dope and you roll out of bed and fix yourself up a line or shot, just to be able to function. Still, it's almost as bad because you have to sit there with that crap in your mouth - for, well I keep it in around 20 mins - then you don't even notice it for at least 30 mins and around 1 hour you have normal energy levels back from taking it.

I just know, for me, every time I've done that it seems to make the day be miserable. Like, I wake up feeling alright. I consider it might be psychological. Like I need that light switch effect that I use to get from waking up and railing a line of dope. In this case it's much subtler and I know once it hits that's about as good as it gets. But, there is that very slight rush of energy I get in the morning when I finally feel the slight buzz that Subs give me. Maybe w/o that there isn't anything I have to look forward to. I just wake up on that level field of semi-sobriety, with the very slightly doped up feel that Subs give. The addict in me desires to feel the sick to high (even if the high is lackluster at best) transition every morning. It's actually why I've always thought the "less is more" argument is from. When dose high, like 8+ mg at once, you never drop down to a level of withdrawal(unless you miss a day) and feel that need for more. If you dose low, it wears off easily within 24 hours, so when you start getting a little w/d creep on, then you pop another 2 mg and in an hour you are smooth sailing again. In essence, it's hard to compare the presence and effects of Buprenorphine if you are constantly on enough to never lose it's full effect (or ceiling), but keep your doses low and it wears off enough that you need more to reach that ceiling again.

Sorry got off track there, just feel the "less is more" thing has nothing to do with side effects or the antagonist effects of the drug, it's just a matter of letting yourself reset, I (and it seems no one else really knows either) what is better in regards to Subs. Do you want to be constantly on an amount that keeps you at a plasma level where you feel the same all the time? Or, is it better to allow the body to feel that need for a dose in the morning and even again in the afternoon(I take 1.5 morning and another 1 or 1.5 in evening). I'm never to the point of strung out but I start to feel the drug's effects go after 8-10 hours from the first morning dose, I'm not sick, per se, but I am not feeling great, either. I take my 2nd dose of the day and I get a nice pick me up for the evening and takes me through the night and to the point where I can get a good night of rest. I wake up, I feel a bit depressed, back is a little sore, energy level is low. I dose, hour later I feel good again...and it feels good to go from feeling kinda shitty to feeling "decent"(that's the best word I can think of to describe the "high" Sub give you, that is if you are are person who snorted ridiculous amounts of black market fentanyl like I have done, after years of oxy and H abuse).

Use Listerine or something with ethanol in it to wash your mouth out directly before popping in the strip. It will absorb within minutes, like butter on a hot pan. It will also increase the BA slightly. Highly recommended.

It shouldn’t make a difference if you are laying down or standing, just as long as you or it under your tongue and don’t intentionally swallow the stuff.

I've noticed this with all sorts of opioids. Don't know if it's all in my head or not though.

Basically anytime I wake up, dose then fall back asleep until it kicks in I feel like
It never fully kicks in. At least it doesn't feel the same as it would if I had just gotten up, dosed and then stayed up.

As someone who was taking Suboxone 8/2 MG Strips 3 times a day from November 2016-September 2017 as I'm back on pain management (Roxicodone IR 30 MG 90 count). When I was on Suboxone film strips I would take my first dose while in bed as I was just waking up in the morning. I never noticed any decreased effects when the bupe was taken sublingual lying down or standing up. Same mood lift, Mild-Moderate Cognitive Euphoria, Mild Pain Relief, and decreased cravings. So I have no advice other than simply brushing your teeth and use mouth wash before taking your first sub dose of the day.
Sorry wish I had more input.

Play nice folks.

96chanz, I think that is sound advice. A lot of people overlook the important if dental hygiene, and it’s really important for a lot of reasons, but all the more so when taking Suboxone sublingually.

Play nice folks.

96chanz, I think that is sound advice. A lot of people overlook the important if dental hygiene, and it’s really important for a lot of reasons, but all the more so when taking Suboxone sublingually.

Thank you. I am a certified Pharmacy Technician, and a daily abuser of multiple substances. When using drugs you have to have some knowledge of them xD

I'm not sure how you thought F&W's post was rude, seemed pretty benign to me.

Anyway I didn't read the whole thread either but I'd like to throw my 2 cents in and say that opiates don't work very well right when I get out of bed. I always wait 1-2 hours after I awake to take my dose because if I don't I will barely feel it.

i find sub strips work great like you say going back to sleep. mostly because my mouth is so dry in the mornings and i don't swallow in my sleep nor feel the need to with dry mouth, thus minimal sub is wasted.

From reading all the posts so far I believe it's purely a mental issue. For me, I want that feeling of energy I get when the Sub kicks in around 50mins to 1 hour after I pop it. I pop it the second I wake up, then either shower or read a book. It's only when I lie back down to sleep, and it can only be like 25-30 mins but when I wake up the stuff just doesn't give me the energy I look for. I guess as a creature of habit, I prefer being awake when it kicks in and then I have my morning coffee right after to really get me going. It's a routine that I enjoy. When I mess it up by letting the Sub dissolve and begin to take effect while still in bed, well it messes with my routine and in my mind it's not giving me the full effects(even though it might be, I just deviated from the routine that I prefer and that messed with how I interpreted it's efficacy).

I cage comparison is like when I use to use oxycodone. All conventional wisdom says eat them and you get more out of it, better bio-availability than snorting. But, some days my nose would be all clogged or have some issue where I couldn't snort and I'd eat it, Then it felt like it was 1/2 as strong. I think it's mind over matter in both these situations. The oxy thing is a little simpler because what I was after is the nearly immediate effect and getting almost all the drug to hit me at once. But, it also took away from the routine. I would get up, and feeling like ass from the mild w/d and morning grogginess I would crush up a line and snort. I had no patience for eating it and having it come on slowly.

You can even compare it to someone who has a morning coffee. They might want that coffee within 1 hr of waking up, if they don't get it by then, then they don't even want it anymore. The enjoyment of the coffee was snapping them awake like they are used to. If they wait an hour and naturally are awakened, then they don't enjoy that coffee as much. Ruined their routine. Human's are very set in their routines, so once you are use to doing something even simple acts are like mental addictions.

Funny what you say about the coffee...
I know what you mean, but I actually enjoy my 100% Aribica or Supremo a couple hours
after I wake, when my body is (awake) though I usually "snap" awake w/ it like you say

Dont know how convenient it would be for you but you should try taking at the back of your
tongue and go back to sleep for a couple hours...
cant guarantee anything but it sure seams like the bioavail' is increased (ymmv)

was that blatantly rude enough td?

...love the tear wiping emoji!

༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽ you fuck with that?
i got your back bro

ahah but yeah i'm obsessed with it, need to find a way to make it so that like,
when i press like alt+} (cause who uses '}', right?) and
༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽ pops up instead

Funny what you say about the coffee...
I know what you mean, but I actually enjoy my 100% Aribica or Supremo a couple hours
after I wake, when my body is (awake) though I usually "snap" awake w/ it like you say

Dont know how convenient it would be for you but you should try taking at the back of your
tongue and go back to sleep for a couple hours...
cant guarantee anything but it sure seams like the bioavail' is increased (ymmv)

was that blatantly rude enough td?

I didn't find it rude at all, I kind of meant that when I wrote 'It's all good.' I was not sure what his issue was. I actually thought the post was informative. We kind of disagree in terms of taking it while still in bed or waiting until being awake. Odds are it's just personal preference. I know people mentioning the mouth-wash and other methods to help BA, I know all about that, I have fairly strong amount of knowledge about Suboxone from personal use and from many hours of research on it (sadly more than most Drs who prescribe it probably have put it, plus the personal use...and very, very few can even imagine what it's like being an addict).

I thought of an even better example of how our mental status is so influential on things like: how well a drug is working, how bad our withdrawal is(very important in Sub induction, of course), and other similar subjects....That being the classic waiting to pick up withdrawal. When I was using I'd get sick within hours of my bag running out, prob 75% of that was mental. Then get the call to go get it(after waiting sometimes as long as 6 hours, and typically 2-3. and that's just after you finally get word it'd your guy is going to come thru). Yep!! Now all of a sudden I could run a 5K in 25 mins flat if it meant getting that fix. And once you get it in hand and are home with it, I'd feel about 1/10th as bad as I did an hour before, while waiting to score.

edit: I actually prefer the coffee about an hour after waking, too. I might've already written that somewhere in those walls of text, but I take the Subs, wait an hour and then coffee kind of helps kick it into action and I'm ready to go. I was just kind of using it as an example, as so many people seem to want a coffee ASAP after waking(or maybe that's just some misinformation from TV/movies, seems more common in those). In reality so many people buy their coffee on way to work or fix it at work, so obv awake for a few hours.

Last edited:
You’re good F&W :) Thank you for the willingness to do the “team player” thang

After all, we are all on the same team on BL. Fuck the po-lice! ;)