• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone/Buprenorphine FAQ & Megathread v3; 2010 - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I had posted here last year, 38 female i had gotten dependent first from a doctor 9 years ago with pain management but when that got cut off, I didn't let that stop me! and soon found myself a full blown addict ( iv use) for 2 years and then I got on suboxone.

I had been on with no issues getting my life back for 2 years when last year I need emergency surgery long story short I had the surgery and used for 6 days and reinducted at 4 mg ( 2 mg twice a day) for the last year.

Last month my hubby lost his job and although I have plenty of strips ( was getting 16 mg prescribed this whole year) and I can see another doctor I am so done I want my life back. So last month I lowered to 2 mg a day and then 1 and so on. I did it faster than it recommends but I'm super impatient lol! Anyways I was at .50 for 3 days and .25 for 2 and I jumped 72 hours ago.

It has been tolerable but not great my headaches are the worst and today I feel cold and hot again, my question is the worst over will it get better now? I feel like I've been in a constant state of very mild withdrawal for 2 weeks now and once I jumped I got worse then better now I feel like shit today!! I assumed the half life had caught up by now???

I am taking l tyrosine, dlpa, multivitsmin, b12, anti nausea, probiotics. Also I'm forcing myself to exercise. I have clondine and gabapentin that I did use the first few nights. It's starting to really take a toll and although walks, showers, music are helping I need to hear from people that have done this that there is an end!

I have a lot of strength right now my dad has stage 4 cancer and is going thru chemo ( I also have a HUGE support system) I haven't even thought about using in years I literally hated having surgery and taking all those meds, and I figure if I'm asking him to fight I have to too!

Anyways any advise would help i have to work tonight and I'm praying it won't be bad. I thought about taking .25 before work but I feel like it would be worse for me because I'm so far in, or is this gonna get worse? I feel like my addictive personality is telling me it's bad and it really isnt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately that wasn?t an ideal taper you used to get off. A proper taper doesn’t reduce the dose by more than 10% per week. Better than nothing, but far from ideal.

Acute withdrawal from buprenorphine lasts about two weeks. If you keep using the gabapentin and clonidine during this time it should be manageable, but far from fun.

If you?re feeling crappy try taking more gabapentin.

If you’re trying to get off buprenorphine consider using something like kratom if you’re really struggling with cravings, instead of buprenorphine or strong opioids. You’d still need to be careful avoiding picking up a habit with kratom, but it’s a lot easier to deal with than buprenorphine in that regard.

If all you have is buprenorphine and you’re worried about relapsing on your opioid of choice, there is nothing wrong with taking a small dose of buprenorphine. Lesser of two evils by far.

It seems like most people on here asking about how long it takes to feels the effects of an opiate after suboxone use were not on subs for that long. I have been taking approximately 2mg per day for 2 years, but I am on day 8 of a 22 day taper and currently at .25mg per day. I understand the long half life and how it stays in your system much longer. My question is, due to the fact that I have been taking it for a while and probably have buildup, would it take longer to feel an opiates effects than someone that took it for a week or less? Or does it take the same amount of time for it to all leave your system, regardless of how long you have been taking it? By the time I?m finished with the taper I will be down to .13mg for about 6 days, just in case that factors into the answer.

Short answer is that someone who has been taking buprenorphine longer will have a higher tolerance. However, because buprenorphine is a partial agonist even just using it for a week will lead to a high tolerance to other opioids until it gets out of your system.

Thanks for responding! So youre saying that the tolerence is higher until its out of my system completely (~2-4 weeks) or higher in general for a while even after its completely out, say for a few months? I understand this is just in general. I dont have plans on using anything, however I do have an RX for Vicodin for chronic pain that Ive been hanging onto to use when needed and I dont want to waste it since taking Aleve works for the pain at the moment.

About the kratom suggestion, would you recommend it for withdrawal symptoms, or just for cravings? I have no desire to use anything, but I am starting to feel uncomfortable withdrawl symptoms as I am on my last day of tapering (down to .13 mg) and I have a few strains of it on hand, but its a pain in the ass to take it so I dont want to bother if it wont help. Thanks for any input!

Hi Shelly320~I don't personally have experience getting off bupe, but I did have to go cold turkey off 175 mcg of fentanyl 8 years ago, so I totally understand the hell of withdrawal that seems like it will never end. I'm going through some of that again~I let another doctor put me back on that shit again, now I'm losing that doctor, and I'm being weaned off, and in withdrawal constantly. Oh, my doctors (in fact, all the docs around here) want to put me on bupe. This feels kinda like putting my head back in a noose. I don't know what to do about that. My son is on the bupe patches and is getting weaned off. I'm worried about it~do you have any advice? Well, I really just wanted to let you know I am praying for your situation and hoping you get through with this soon.

Hi, this is off topic but the thread said ?bupe? so I?ll ask: I?m on 32mg subs. I?ve started getting into meth. I want to slam something!!! Needle fever off the hook, but can?t bring myself to shoot water. I?m confused constantly hearing people talk about the ?rush? but I never get that. I get wired but not euphoric. Is it the subs? I stopped trying to party with alcohol bc I don?t feel that pleasant buzz, that initial warm euphoria while starting to feel it; I?m told that is straight the hubs. Anyone have experience?

Hi, this is off topic but the thread said ?bupe? so I?ll ask: I?m on 32mg subs. I?ve started getting into meth. I want to slam something!!! Needle fever off the hook, but can?t bring myself to shoot water. I?m confused constantly hearing people talk about the ?rush? but I never get that. I get wired but not euphoric. Is it the subs? I stopped trying to party with alcohol bc I don?t feel that pleasant buzz, that initial warm euphoria while starting to feel it; I?m told that is straight the hubs. Anyone have experience?

I can't speak about the lack of a meth rush while on (very) high dose bupe, maybe somebody else knows.

I can attest that, for many people, alcohol is reported to be a lot less enjoyable while on bupe. For me it just never seemed to be all that enjoyable to drink while taking bupe. I noticed all of the negatives of drinking while most of the positives seemed blunted. The alcohol would even seem to taste less appealing to me while on bupe.

I have been injecting in all forms of subs for awhile with great success, however recently got Milan boxed m tabs and am not having good results, does anyone know a trick for these, any help would be appreciated thank you in advance

Hi I have utfse. I am at 80 hours of subutex withdrawal (0.4-0.8) for past two months. Been on it 3 years. Started at 6 mg. I had a tramadol yesterday which made me feel better. Ive read now should be at its most intense but am I actually at 80 hours due to the tramadol. Not touched sub. Many thanks for quick replies

Has taking the tram put me back. I was waiting for this time to see how bad it will be.

Yeah it has. But it depends on the dosage how much this has thrown you back.

It has put you back, but you're not at square one. I took 30mgs of hydrocodone 6 days into Suboxone withdrawal and I noticed that WD's got significantly worse after, but I'm at 14 days now and I feel good. I don't think it adds to the sentence, it's just that the time you're serving feels more unbearable.

Hey guys I'm a dumbass and I'm running low on my sub because I took too much.

Well the doc keeps cutting my dose down as I've been tapering and I'm at a pretty low dose now. I take (or am supposed to) 1.5mg a day. I cheat occassionally and take 2 though. I did this one too many times these last 2 months (I see doc every 2 months) and now have 3.5mg left to make it until my appointment on Monday.

Any suggestions for how I should split it up or roa or anything. I was considering doing the alcohol trick as I read about that a long time ago idk maybe it will help.

I gotta make it work somehow. I'm probably in for at least a little discomfort but I just am trying to minimize it.

Hello Bluelight, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster and want to thank you in advance. I can't figure out how to post, how to select a thread more specifically, I'm very sorry and ask someone (a mod maybe?) to move it to the correct place. My question is... If I take an equipotent dose of Suboxone to the one I am prescribed by my doc (16 mg/day), through a different ROA would the results of any testing done by my Doc appear normal? I am not trying to beat the test, rather I take less than prescribed and wish to keep my scrip, so on the day of and possibly before my appointment I plan to take the prescribed amount but for my stash and tolerance's sake I was wondering if say 8 mg intranasal vs the 16 mg I'm rx'd would show up similarly, and if so, would it apply to rectal and IV routes as well?

Hello Bluelight, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster and want to thank you in advance. I can't figure out how to post, how to select a thread more specifically, I'm very sorry and ask someone (a mod maybe?) to move it to the correct place. My question is... If I take an equipotent dose of Suboxone to the one I am prescribed by my doc (16 mg/day), through a different ROA would the results of any testing done by my Doc appear normal? I am not trying to beat the test, rather I take less than prescribed and wish to keep my scrip, so on the day of and possibly before my appointment I plan to take the prescribed amount but for my stash and tolerance's sake I was wondering if say 8 mg intranasal vs the 16 mg I'm rx'd would show up similarly, and if so, would it apply to rectal and IV routes as well?

Hey G_H, this is a fine choice of thread for your question. Problem is we can't discuss drug testing / Urine analysis, regardless of the circumstances. With differing and fluctuating metabolisms from one person to the next I don't think you need to worry but again that's all I can say on the matter. Good Luck to you.

Here's an interesting piece about the difference between liquid and tablet forms of Subs though.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10354966/?i=3&from=/10462093/related

Okay thanks man, i thought my question might have been okay but wasnt sure. I have another that is iffy as well that i will ask. Could using low levels in an attempt to allow more nor bupe to attach result in a negative because levels of the parent drug arent high enough? My logic is that when one takes doses above 2 to 4 mg that almost all of the receptors will be full of bupe but under that level, nor bupe and that if one were testing for bupe there would only be nor bupe anf therefore give a negative result? Sorry again of that question isnt kosher...

Yeah, tbh this still falls under the umbrella of no testing questions. Secondly without knowing your medical history to the extent that NASA would if you were an astronaut, anything I say would just be speculation and possibly misinformation which is worse than no information at all.

While I see your point and have read about how Buprenorphine has the ability to save lab animals that have been given lethal doses of the powerful M1 mu agonist Norbuprenorphine, I really don't know where the magic tipping point is and further more your particular metabolic/ hepatic levels that might influence the perfect amount. On top of that I have no idea what the cutoff is or testing method employed by your doctor, so again more useless speculation would be all I could offer.... IF we could discuss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.