• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Detox Suboxone home detox advice needed!!!!!!! Comfort meds??

Scrillion

Bluelighter
Please see 3rd paragraph (this being paragraph 1) if you don’t want to read my quick history. Thats where I ask for help. Thank you very much!!!

Here’s a a quick version of my experience with Kratom and Suboxone. I became dependent on Kratom, was taking 80+ grams a day at the end, tried tapering and cold turkeying like 8 times over 6 months. The withdrawals were unbearable. Tried to get into a medical detox. Couldn’t get in due to cost or lack of room or the fact they didn’t know what Kratom is. Ended up at a Sub clinic after a week on the phone trying to find a med detox. Went on Subs because of Kratom!!! Stupid!!! Dr also gave me Klonopin. Also stupid!!! Now it’s a year and a half later and I’m dependent on 50mg/day of Diazepam and 24mg/day Subs. Fucking nightmare. I never feel not sick. Obviously I had an idiot Dr. Changed clinics. Love my new Dr., but I want off these fucking drugs. I plan on tapering the diazepam very slowly over several years, but I’ve decided the Subs have to go now. I can’t afford $10k for a med detox so I’m going to get all my affairs in order, do a fast taper, get some comfort meds (possibly Gabapentin, Baclofen, Methocarbamol, etc) and lock myself in my basement until the hell is over. I know it’s going to be excruciating, I’ve been through cold turkey Klonopin withdrawals which was the most painful and horrifying experience of my life. (Lasted 4 months and another 4 till I felt normal). I don’t think this will be as bad but it’s going to be bad. I’m hoping 4-6 weeks. I know it sounds crazy but the Subs make me sick to the point I can barely function anyway and I’m not going to waste another year or longer of my life living like this. I have family I’ll be staying with and will help me get through it.

So I’m asking anyone out there who has detoxed off of Suboxone at home or done any sort of fast Sub detox to give me any and all advice!!! Please and thanks in advance!!! I GREATLY appreciate it!!! What should I expect? What comfort meds (other than loperamide) will help? I’m not opposed to using medical marijuana. I live in CO so I can access virtually any formulation of MM with any combination of THC, CBD, CBN, terpenes, etc. I’ve heard good things about Lyrica, but not sure if I can take it while also being on diazepam. Anything that can help with the physical and mental pain and suffering. Depression is a major concern. I do take 10mg/day of Lexapro. I have Medicaid, but no med detox that I’ve found will accept it. I’d consider financing options, but my credit is horrendous at the moment. Anyway, all insight, advice, and experiences are appreciated very much. I’m really interested in comfort meds and how quickly to taper, if I don’t cold turkey. I want this over with as quickly as possible. I’m willing to deal with the pain to get it done faster. I’m hoping 4-6 weeks.

Best of luck and much love to all suffering from addiction, trying to get clean, and those living sober. Thank you all very very much!!!!! ??❤

NOTE: Be aware that Kratom can ruin your life just like any other opiate, though you’d have to take large amounts for quite a while for withdrawals to be as bad as oxy, heroin, etc. But, it happened to me and I know several others who’ve gone through the same thing. So please be careful with Kratom. It could be “trading” one drug for another too if you’re not careful.

Last edited:
I should also mention that I’m in a treatment program and have been clean off of everything other than Dr prescribed meds for over 18 months. I also had 4+ years of sobriety in the past. I’m heavily involved in recovery. I just need off the Subs as quickly as possible. They’re ruining my life!

Last edited:
I got back on opiates to get off methadone. I was using a gram a day for 2 years, then on methadone for 3 years went back to H, detoxed, relapsed a month later, did H for 3 months, then got serious about quitting and I took 2 strips then over one week I got down to the tiniest sliver, I had to use tweezers to place it on the vein of my tongue. I believe the key is to use subs to detox and get off before you allow yourself to become dependent on the sub. Then smoked weed HEAVILY to sleep after jumping off the sliver of sub. You will kick in your sleep (if you do sleep) for a while. Message me if you need to talk to someone. Hope this helps. Been clean for 4 months now

I used the Burmese method to get off methadone with subs, i went up about. 5 a day til i got to 4 i believe (could be 6 , im 1/2 asleep ) , i was on subs a week then weaned off them in a week .
Like metioned above, don't stay on subs to long or that will be your new addiction

I got back on opiates to get off methadone. I was using a gram a day for 2 years, then on methadone for 3 years went back to H, detoxed, relapsed a month later, did H for 3 months, then got serious about quitting and I took 2 strips then over one week I got down to the tiniest sliver, I had to use tweezers to place it on the vein of my tongue. I believe the key is to use subs to detox and get off before you allow yourself to become dependent on the sub. Then smoked weed HEAVILY to sleep after jumping off the sliver of sub. You will kick in your sleep (if you do sleep) for a while. Message me if you need to talk to someone. Hope this helps. Been clean for 4 months now

Thank you!!!!!!❤️

Thank you very much for the replies!! Sincerely.

Problem is that my original Dr didn’t inform me enough and I didn’t know that doing a fast few week taper was an option. So now I’ve been on them for a year and a half, but I want off them ASAP. So I’m considering doing a fast taper then jumping off and riding out the hell I know will come. I’m hoping the whole process will be over in 6 weeks or less.

Does anyone have any recommendations on comfort meds I could ask my Dr for to help get through the toughest times? I’m already on Diazepam so Benzos are not an option. I’m also on Lexapro.

Thanks everyone!!

I should also mention that I’m in a treatment program and have been clean off of everything other than Dr prescribed meds for over 18 months. I also had 4+ years of sobriety in the past. I’m heavily involved in recovery. I just need off the Subs as quickly as possible. They’re ruining my life!

Can I ask for more detail around subs ruining your life? Goodluck!

I just wanted to say that I really empathize with you. I was addicted to methadone and benzos. I wouldn't wish the withdrawal on my worst enemy. That being said, you're going to be alright man. Don't build it up too much in your head. Stay away from Lyrica, too addictive in my opinion. Gabapentin will definitely help. Just don't get dependant on it. I know exactly how you feel when you say its ruining your life. Been there done that, apathetic depression, unable to experience pleasure, no motivation... Dead inside. Benzos are shit for depression as well. I suggest kava because it is an excellent non addictive option that definitely helps. I wish you the best my friend. Keep us updated.

I just wanted to say that I really empathize with you. I was addicted to methadone and benzos. I wouldn't wish the withdrawal on my worst enemy. That being said, you're going to be alright man. Don't build it up too much in your head. Stay away from Lyrica, too addictive in my opinion. Gabapentin will definitely help. Just don't get dependant on it. I know exactly how you feel when you say its ruining your life. Been there done that, apathetic depression, unable to experience pleasure, no motivation... Dead inside. Benzos are shit for depression as well. I suggest kava because it is an excellent non addictive option that definitely helps. I wish you the best my friend. Keep us updated.

Thanks a ton!!! That really helped. Unfortunately Kava makes me super sick to my stomach. I’m going to talk to my Dr and get what I can, not take anything that can cause dependency for more than a week, and alternate between comfort meds....if I can get any. I greatly appreciate your encouragement. It really made me feel a lot better hearing “you’ll be alright” from someone who’s been through what I’m going through.

I’ll keep this thread updated. I don’t see my Dr for a few weeks so it’ll be at least 3+ weeks before I start this rapid Sub detox. In the meantime I’m going to taper a little bit to get it as low as possible before I begin the month of hell.

Last edited:
Can I ask for more detail around subs ruining your life? Goodluck!

Yeah, somniliscious hit the nail in the head when he/she said “ I know exactly how you feel when you say its ruining your life. Been there done that, apathetic depression, unable to experience pleasure, no motivation... Dead inside.” That’s a really good description, plus I feel sick (kinda like . withdrawals) about 50% of the time I’m awake.

I hate them. It’s like they give me all the side effects of Kratom/Opiates without the high. I just want to be clean off everything.

Hope that answered your question.

Hey there Scrillion!

I read through your thread and it only reinforces my resolve NOT to go on MAT of any sort. Mind you, I am currently addicted to heroin. That being said, I have done quick Sub tapers in the past to take mini-
breaks from the dope. You are on a really high dose of Sub. I think you could taper comfortably down until you reach the 2mg point. Man, don't put yourself through unnecessary pain and anguish by rushing
this thing. We all want a quick fix, myself included. Truth is, there isn't one. Gotta walk through some discomfort, bottom line.

So, do some research on this site about Sub tapering. Some folks have pretty detailed tapers that are posted. Just do a search.
Get yourself some Clonidine. Its a blood pressure med, but is often used for opiate withdrawal. I have kicked heroin in the past with only Clonidine. It was a game changer for me. Took care of the
restless legs, the sweaty, clammy feelings and the ANXIETY. Take it only as directed. MORE is not MORE with this.

I have also used the Clonidine when I was trying to induct on Suboxone, and had to wait 24-36 hours after my last heroin use. This period of time would normally drive me to go back out and score.
Because who can go 2 days without using?? Clonidine helped bridge that time gap for me, and then I could successfully take the Sub.

Good Luck to you. Keep posting. Don't give up on yourself. And I think you are being smart in trying to eliminate one drug at a time.

Thanks @lovemissile66! I appreciate the feedback very much. I’ve used clonodine for withdrawals in the past and it really didn’t do much for me, but I’m not against trying it again. I know doing a 2 week taper then jumping would end up being 4-6 weeks of hell on earth, but I’ve been through worse with cold turkey Klonopin withdrawals when I was using 8mg/day. Plus I think I’m willing to go through it just to get it over with. Otherwise I’ll just be dragging it out over a year and will loose another year of my life to feeling like hell. I’ll be 41 in 4 days. I have been researching the fast taper/kick and have spoken with people in my recovery program who’ve done it. I’ll keep researching the threads on here too. If I do do it that way it won’t be until Oct or Nov, so I’ve got some time to think it through, discuss with my Dr, etc. It’s just very frustrating being in my current state. I’m not well enough to engage in my career because it’s very demanding and high stress and it’s been that way for 2 years. I need to get back to work, get out of debt, and get on with life.

I’ll definitely keep this thread updated. Thanks again!!!

If anybody finds any good links to Suboxone taper threads please share them here. Thanks!!!

I’ve got a question; has anyone ever had a strip of generic Suboxone that was a dud? Like it didn’t have any bupe or very little. I think that happened to me today. It was really weird. It didn’t have much of the medicine taste and I felt like shit until I took my next scheduled dose. I’ve had problems with generics before. Legally generics are only required to contain 80% of the advertised dose of meds in them. I took generic Subutex sublingual tablets for a while and they were horrible. These generic strips that I’ve been taking for the last few months work much better, though not as well as the name brand strips. But I’ve never ran into a dud before. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Ive been on mg sub for 7 months now, im in the process of tapering using a modified version of the thomas formula. Ive got down to 4 mgs but im so.sick..im not sure what a bump or thread is.. But someone please help. Single working mom of 2

Kratom just taper off so you don't WD
I BEEN 22 DAYS
kratom, ibuprofen, benzo fir the worst of it

Kratom is a horrible and dangerous recommendation. It’s trading one for another and contrary to popular belief you can have withdrawals from Kratom that are just as brutal as subs or any other opiate. I know some people have had some success with it, but a lot of people haven’t and it isn’t worth ending up on just another drug. Congrats on your success @LuckyLefty112. I’m super glad it worked for you and happy you’ve been able to make it work. However Kratom is highly addictive and builds tolerance very fast. Like within 5-7 days if you were to just start off no other opiates. There’s been a TON is misinformation and false info about Kratom all over the web in the last 10 years. I ended up on about Subs because of Kratom. I was taking over 80 grams a day just to not get sick. If you’re addicted or dependent on opiates talk to your Dr about a proper taper. @Shortnsassymom how mg/day are you taking? If you are to sick to function you may want to increase very slightly just so you can function then hold there until you even out and feel better. If you can deal with what’s going on now with the withdrawals just ride it out until you even out. Then figure out a very slow taper schedule with an experienced Dr. Most people can taper pretty steadily at a mg every week or two until they get down to about 2mg/day. Then you have to slow it down and do smaller drops. If you’re on over 16mg/day some people can drop 2-4 mg until they get to lower doses, but everyone is different and Dr really should help you figure it out. My best advice, pay attention to your body and just decrease as much as you can without putting yourself through hell and decrease after you’ve evened out on the dose of the last decrease. Here is a schedule that worked for me with subs. The only thing I’d suggest is not jumping at 2/mg. Taper the last 2/mg in small drops over a while.

Im starting this taper schedule again (long story) at 24/mg/day on the 28 day regimen. If it’s too fast for you just slow it down to what is comfortable for you. Some people take 6 months or a year. Be good to yourself. Don’t put yourself through hell. You can taper without it being a horrible experience.
4C5B2F8C-5312-4174-A7C5-84FB5D33C296.png

Last edited: