• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone blocking effect

TheOneWhoSees

Greenlighter
I've heard that suboxone doesn't block other opiates if the dose is under a certain amount, is this true?

Buprenorphine (in Suboxone/Subutex) has a much less "antagonizing" effect on the opioid receptors and much more of an "agonizing" effect, which basically means that it does behave more like a regular opioid at lower doses. I would still think it would dull the effect of other opioids significantly, however, with a few exceptions such as tramadol which users enjoy frequently while taking buprenorphine. I am uncertain if the blockade effect on other opioids would be more prominent in Suboxone because it contains naloxone as well, whereas Subutex contains just buprenorphine. I am aware that buprenorphine's effects will always trump those of the naloxone regardless of ROA (doctors will tell you different), but don't know how the naloxone would effect taking other opioids because of its antagonistic features. Orally, naloxone is fairly weak, and opiates can be felt on top of it provided the naloxone dose is not too high, but I do not know about naloxone's effect taken SL, and if it varies and how much, or used intranasally or IV. I question this because IV naloxone will kill a normal opiate high, but oral naloxone will not. In any event, buprenorphine DOES have better recreational, and often therapeutic effect at much lower doses than usually rx'd.

It is active on the opioid receptors in the gut, yes. Whether it does effect any of the opioid receptors in the brain when dosed orally, I am unsure.

The blockade effect will vary in both dosage and duration, depending on the person as well as the frequency of dosing. Some people can take 8mg of suboxone and get high later on that day, whereas other people will need to wait 72 hours to get a proper high after that.

For most people, I would say that a sublingual dosage of 2mg and under will have a very limited blockade effect, and dosages of 1mg and under don't seem to have a blockade effect at all, and in fact may have synergistic effect with other opiates.

4mg will most likely cause the blockade effect for 24 hours+ in most people, becoming stronger with the amount of consecutive days it is taken. Anything above that should have a strong blockade effect on other opiates, especially when taken daily for maintenance. In those cases it will likely block for an average of 48 hours.

In general I would say that 2mg blocks for 1 day, 4mg blocks for 2 days, 8mg blocks for 3 days, and anything above will block for 3-4 days. The ceiling effect will limit the main effects of buprenorphine, but can add on to the duration of the blockade effect since the higher doses take longer to be eliminated. I do not think that it varies between subutex and suboxone since the buprenorphine out-competes the naloxone at the binding site.

Thanks for this thread it answers a question i had.. since i had 16 mg two days ago and 8mg suboxone yesterday looks like ive got a few days to go at least -____- which i kind of expected id have to wait anyway though since i took it to detox from iv heroin and all i have is some percs

I have been taking 3mg of suboxone every day for awhile now (since around Jan) and I have a pretty strong block effect. As TommyBoy says it is COMPLETELY DEPENDENT on dosage/duration of dosage/person/ROA/etc.

I personally cannot get high on the amount of sub I'm on, but i know PLENTY OF PEOPLE who take an 8mg every day and are still able to get high that night.

Whether suboxone will block verys on so many different factors it's really impossible to say. For instance, if your taking 2mg of suboxone/subutex a day and you shoot some decent quality heroin, or 5mg oxymorphone you will almost certainly get high. If however, you pop 3 percocets, you will likely feel only a percentage of the desired effects. Some of this has more to do with tolerance (like methadones blocking effect) than it does with bupe antagonizing other opiates. Buprenorphine is a very potent opioid in itself (partial agonist or not), so even a small daily dosage of .5 a mg is way stronger than 5-10 mg of oxycodone.

Another thing to take into account is how long you've been on buprenorphine. It takes subs roughly twelve days to maintain a stable blood level, so while you might be able to get high 12 hours after taking your first 8mg of suboxone/subutex, it is unlikely that you will be able to achieve a similar buzz a week later, as the bupe is building up in your system.

I know theres way too many factors to give me an exact and definate answer...

But if i went thru shooting a gram of raw smack a week ago... then took 16 mg suboxone 48 hours ago and 8 mg suboxone 24 hours ago... how long would you guys guess id have to wait before i can get a decent buzz off 30mg oxycodone?

I was guessing another 3 days should be enough?

I would wait at least three days. You will be sorely dissapointed if you take that oxy anytime sooner.

I know theres way too many factors to give me an exact and definate answer...

But if i went thru shooting a gram of raw smack a week ago... then took 16 mg suboxone 48 hours ago and 8 mg suboxone 24 hours ago... how long would you guys guess id have to wait before i can get a decent buzz off 30mg oxycodone?

I was guessing another 3 days should be enough?

I would say a week.
0.25mg of bupe = 6mg of oxycodone, so you have been taking way higher than the equivalent to 30mgs of oxycodone, increasing your tolerance as well as producing the blockade effect. Even if the blockade effect completely wears off after 3 days, there is still the increased tolerance that you have to allow to lower before getting a proper high.

I would say a week.
0.25mg of bupe = 6mg of oxycodone, so you have been taking way higher than the equivalent to 30mgs of oxycodone, increasing your tolerance as well as producing the blockade effect. Even if the blockade effect completely wears off after 3 days, there is still the increased tolerance that you have to allow to lower before getting a proper high.

Damn yea i figured itd take a while that sucks

I loooooove bupe for how ot gives you energy when youre sick and makes you feel better

But i fucking hate it for its blocking effects that shits s

But its also great when you have no tolerance just a tiiiiny ass piece of an 8 will do you real nice

But i wish i never got to the point where i need ssomething to feel normal its been far too many times going thru it...

Whether suboxone will block verys on so many different factors it's really impossible to say. For instance, if your taking 2mg of suboxone/subutex a day and you shoot some decent quality heroin, or 5mg oxymorphone you will almost certainly get high.

Thats absolutely on the money... I use bupe almost daily, but not ever more than 2mg and I am able to use whenever I feel like it without wasting my cash.

I find though that prolonged daily use of buprenorphine even at low dosages seems to slightly dull the intensity of the opiate high. I get a lot more of a sedated buzz when using on top of .5 mg of bupe than I do when I'm not on maintenance.

The blockade effect will vary in both dosage and duration, depending on the person as well as the frequency of dosing. Some people can take 8mg of suboxone and get high later on that day, whereas other people will need to wait 72 hours to get a proper high after that.

For most people, I would say that a sublingual dosage of 2mg and under will have a very limited blockade effect, and dosages of 1mg and under don't seem to have a blockade effect at all, and in fact may have synergistic effect with other opiates.

4mg will most likely cause the blockade effect for 24 hours+ in most people, becoming stronger with the amount of consecutive days it is taken. Anything above that should have a strong blockade effect on other opiates, especially when taken daily for maintenance. In those cases it will likely block for an average of 48 hours.

In general I would say that 2mg blocks for 1 day, 4mg blocks for 2 days, 8mg blocks for 3 days, and anything above will block for 3-4 days. The ceiling effect will limit the main effects of buprenorphine, but can add on to the duration of the blockade effect since the higher doses take longer to be eliminated. I do not think that it varies between subutex and suboxone since the buprenorphine out-competes the naloxone at the binding site.

^^^THIS!!!

I've noticed taking 2mgs and less I've been fine getting high after 10-12 hours. With 4mgs I still get high but it's an awkward high, not quite like a full blown nod and fcked up feeling.

2mgs is the magic dose unless you can wait at least 24-36 hours

Damn! You hit the nail on the head!

And that's exactly how, after dosing our dupe then magically somehow coming up with money, we decide upon whether or not we go and get bags.

If we've just taken 2 mg, then meh, we'll probably not pick up anything. If we've taken 2 mg 12+ hours or so ago, then yeah, we'll probably go pick up some bags.

If we've only dosed 1 mg, no matter how long ago, then for sure... we're picking up bags. lol

Damn! You hit the nail on the head!

And that's exactly how, after dosing our dupe then magically somehow coming up with money, we decide upon whether or not we go and get bags.

If we've just taken 2 mg, then meh, we'll probably not pick up anything. If we've taken 2 mg 12+ hours or so ago, then yeah, we'll probably go pick up some bags.

If we've only dosed 1 mg, no matter how long ago, then for sure... we're picking up bags. lol

Dupe: New slang term used for taking 1mg or less of buprenorphine followed by heroin. bupe + dope = dupe ;)

Alot of people get "Duped" when they try to get high within 24 hours of Bupe'...

Alot of people get "Duped" when they try to get high within 24 hours of Bupe'...

You aint kidding either... I know someone who would jack up 4mg of bupe then score straight away afterwards... then wonder why he isn't getting a nod 8(

I used to take 8 mg of subutex, 6mg of Xanax and 30 mg of Adderall every morning when I woke up, all prescribed, and at night, I would go to my buddy and do dope. For some reason I probably did this combo for a year straight and everytime the dope worked awesome. I would nod out, get itchy, get hungry as hell, and for some reason I never went through withdrawl or got precipitated withdrawl, it just was like an awesome day everyday. Somedays I would take 16 mg of subutex, and 10mg of Xanax, and 90mg of Adderall if I had a lot of work, and still the heroin would work just fine. I snorted it too. So maybe it was the Chicago dope, like the dope I got today, 3 bags, was fire. It had me nodding off 1 bag. I still have 2 bags, and just took 3 roxi 30's. So I dunno, ive mixed methadone with subutex at the same time and gotten high as hell, Norco (10 pills of 10/325) and subutex, morphine ABG 100 and subutex, and oxycodone and subutex, and dilaudid and sub and fentanyl and sub (injected at the hospital) god I was fucked out of my mind for like an hour....my mom said I was acting like a 5 year old....I went to the hospital for broken ribs....so I needed the strongest opiate they had. Ever since I have been on 120 30mg roxis IR every 2 weeks. Im gonna finish this script in 1 week and then I think im just gonna go on methadone because my PCP will write it for me monthly with Xanax and Adderall. She said its fine if its for addiction, and its actually for 5 slipped discs in my back and the broken ribs. But I have overdosed on heroin while being on sub, but that was when I was shooting it. Chicago dope must be uncut or something. Cuz it keeps getting better and better. The one bag I did lasted like 3 and a half hours. ok thanks for listening.

Last edited: