• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photo Contest (VOTING CLOSED) Round 411: Fantasy

Please review the submissions on the first page and choose your favorite!

• 1. chinup

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • 2. Mister Privacy

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 3. negrogesic

• 4. ions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. wo1fg4ng

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • 6. hylite

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • 7. Littana

• 8. Negentropic

• 9. F.U.B.A.R.

• 10. Xorkoth

• 11. n3ophy7e

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • 12. mal3volent

• 13. Shardzvark

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, but not psychedelic mushrooms as there aren't any here. Well there is one kind that is not a psilocybe, it's called Gymnopilus validipes, "the laughing gym". Contains psilocybin, some kava-like GABAergic compounds, and a mild toxin from what I understand. But it's quite rare and I don't really know how to identify it. Apparently it produces a very chill and humorous trip, the kava-like compounds make it more relaxed and dreamy. I look for edible/medicinal mushrooms, but I don't know how to identify a lot of them myself well enough to attempt. Chicken of the woods is my favorite (of all time), and easy to identify, hard to find though. Reishis are everywhere, and you can find lion's mane, and morels. Oh and "hen of the woods" (maitake).

A friend makes his living foraging culinary and medicinal mushrooms and selling them to restaurants and markets, and he knows SO many. he tells me about a kind of polypore that tastes like a medium rare steak when cooked. He says it's his favorite, even above chicken of the woods.

I haven't found a chicken of the wood yet this year and I think I missed my window. :( Usually I find one. Well I did find out, and marked it to come back in a week because it was small, but when I got back, it hadn't grown and had dried up, I guess it didn't stay wet enough. What a bummer. It's a big orange shelf mushroom that is immediately obvious to identify with no lookalikes. When cooked, it closely resembles cooked chicken, even down to the texture (where you pull it apart and it forms "strings"), and the mouth texture is more or less the same too. It also tastes a lot like chicken, except a bit more richness/umami. It's so fucking delicious.

Yes, but not psychedelic mushrooms as there aren't any here.
Like... literally none at all? No cubes?

I read they do grow here (I think from shroomery?) but I absolutely assumed they were rather rare to find. But you say there are none? :(

it sounds like such a fun hobby to me and potentially lucrative if you're lucky

I have been told there are no native species by several people. There is that one non-Psilocybe genius I mentioned that has psilocybin in it, the Gymnopolis. But very rare.

I have been told there are no native species by several people. There is that one non-Psilocybe genius I mentioned that has psilocybin in it, the Gymnopolis. But very rare.

Don't you guys get Liberty caps (Psilocybe semilanceata)? I thought they were ubiquitous...

Don't you guys get Liberty caps (Psilocybe semilanceata)? I thought they were ubiquitous...

Not where I am. I'm in the mountains along the east coast. Lower down MIGHT have some species of psilocybes. The northeast of the US (New England) has a ton of psilocybes from what I understand, as does farther south in Georgia/Florida. The west coast has liberty caps iirc.

PXL-20210930-211004773.jpg

Wowzerz, I snuck onto my neighbors yard to take this. Their dog barked and scared the shit out of me lmao

PXL-20210930-210929549.jpg

Fall colors :)

PXL-20210930-210601402.jpg

There are a dozen patches of these out front

See if they make you trip balls
Ya bro, I hope they do. I just ate like 20 of them.

They didn't bruise purple and tasted like ketchup.

Hope I have a good trip and strong organs :)

I think these are definitely poisonous. No purple or oxidation at all when damaged.

PXL-20211004-174352194.jpg

Dude wtf... That cool mushy patch I took a pict of a couple days ago apparently randomly exploded into disgusting mushy goo...?

Also those little things crawling all over are maggots/larvae...

What the hell caused this? Happened to 4 of the dozen or so patches on my yard

PXL-20211004-174352194.jpg

Dude wtf... That cool mushy patch I took a pict of a couple days ago apparently randomly exploded into disgusting mushy goo...?

Also those little things crawling all over are maggots/larvae...

What the hell caused this? Happened to 4 of the dozen or so patches on my yard
Jesus Christ. Talk about fast decay? :oops: