• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photo Contest (VOTING CLOSED) Round 410: Views

Please review all of the submissions from the first post and vote for your favorite!

• 1. cduggles

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 2. Snafu of the Forest

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • 3. meprobamatedowned

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 4. negrogesic

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • 5. BK38

• 6. 4meSM

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • 7. n3ophy7e

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • 8. D's

• 9. Xorkoth

• 10. ions

• 11. chinup

• 12. dasein

• 13. F.U.B.A.R.

• 14. hydroazuanacaine

• 15. mal3volent

• 16. Wizard of the Creek

• 17. Shardzvark

• 18. autist

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • 19. thegreenhand

• 20. ecstasylover

• 21. iceman1216

• 22. Outlier

• 23. Afine97

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 24. schizoinfective

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • 25. sphazer2021

• 26. w01fgang

• 27. Mister Privacy

• 28. iTry91

• 29. strangeaeon

• 30. Littana

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • 31. satatap

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
PXL-20210603-195601275.jpg

I just thought the clouds were pretty today
Looks like a turtle hedgehog and a chicken

Someone said I should be able to remove the banner but I still can’t ffs!! 🤯🤯🤯

This is literally the back of my house and my view.

You know what I love most about sunset? They look different and produce different colors depending on where you are in the world.

You know what I love most about sunset? They look different and produce different colors depending on where you are in the world.
I love living on the west coast because the sunsets over the sea and it can be just incredible. One of my most favourite things is to just sit and watch the sun set. It’s so pretty.

I love living on the west coast because the sunsets over the sea and it can be just incredible. One of my most favourite things is to just sit and watch the sun set. It’s so pretty.
I love watching the sun set behind the mountains, creates unique colors and makes the mountains look like they have an aura

It's true. Here in Appalachia, deep in the mountains, when the clouds and humidity are just right, we get some EPIC sunsets that have a sort of searing coral color I have never seen anywhere else. I have been absolutely floored by some sunsets here. Actually like a month ago there was a 3 or 4 minute period when the sky turned a uniform sort of alarming, BRIGHT yellow/gold. Never seen anything like it. My friend on the other side of town and I texted each other at the same time "holy shit do you see the sky??"

yeah, really amazing pics here... i gotta dig in and find something but heres one quick snap.from moving car it came out better i thought it would..
IMG-20210526-160504-2.jpg

I simultaneously feel nauseas, like I'm going to vomit while falling over sideways as if I were drunk. Was this intentional?

Sweet photograph, @hydroazuanacaine! My very first own camera was a OLYMPUS mju ZOOM 140, my parents got me for my 18th birthday. I used the shit out of this thing, and I still have it (somewhere). Anyway..
Anyone know how to get the extended exposure blur effect on a phone camera? Been wanting to try for awhile, but....
You noticed that a rather unique film was used here? I assume with "extended exposure" you mean longer shutter speeds? And no, this on it's own won't necessarily produce this halo effect around light sources. If you simply want blurry/grainy images, that's easy..

Other than creating this by accident, I guess one needs to have full control over 'the exposure triangle' (meaning shutter speed, aperture and ISO) in order to experiment with this. I don't know if or which smartphones can be operated this way. You can try physical filters or play around in postprocessing. Alternatively you can run your finger across your forehead after a long hot day (or eat a fat-dripping burger instead) and smother the lens of your phone with it; acts like a physical filter and will soften and create a shimmer around highlights, but will also blur the rest of the image.

I have the impression that the aperture plays a key role here. Stopped down, one gets more pronounced starburst effects, until diffraction hits. Wide open, especially with older lens designs (meaning fast vintage prime glass), this halo effect (and others) is more likely to occur and can be seen as an optical defect (caused by different types of aberration) or as a feature, depending on your philosophical/artistic viewpoint. How much of this applies to phones, I don't know.