• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Sublingual Xanax (Exactly How?)

Is there sublingual xanax? I had sublingual klonopin before they moved me on to xanax and it worked so dang quick and was nice.. but xanax is so gross tasting i could imagine doing it sublingually

With xanax, I notice no difference in the onset if I let it dissolve or just crush it into a few pieces (or bite) and swallow. It just seems like it was made to stop a panic attack as quick as possible, so on a fairly empty stomach it kicks in super fast.

If there is a sublingual xanax pill out there made to be taken sublingually then why wouldn't a normal xanax (bar, football) work the same way? Just crush up the pill into a powder and place the powder under your tongue...

^Different preparations will be absorbed in different ways due to differing inactive components or the active drug being presented slightly differently. For example there are suppository preparations of Gravol designed to be inserted anally but just sticking an oral Gravol pill up into your rectum won't be nearly as effective.

^Yeah, that, and most tablets have a pretty bad taste that will stimulate taste buds and thus saliva... Sublingual tablets usually absorb very quickly before too much saliva can accumulate and wash down the drug... Suboxone tablets are a strange exception, I'm not sure why they don't dissolve quickly like other sublingual tablets, or like the Suboxone film...

^ I've never noticed any, and am curious. Could I ask what sort of effects you're talking about?

Sure, the effects seem to hit faster when snorted, and this always gives a unique feeling. The amount of a drug that gets into the bloodstream is not the only factor in how you feel a drug; The speed with which the drug enters the bloodstream is also at play.

isnt the bio for xanax is the same for both?crush it faster if its XR/ER.i tried it and it isnt worth it.any benzo than dormicum should be just eaten,unless its made for injecting

^It's honestly probably higher for oral, but the difference is that oral doesn't absorb as quickly.

Yeah, right on "amapola",
Another analogy would be fentanyl. While not exactly the same as the benzos being discussed, its available as a transdermal patch, a buccal / sublingual lollipop, and via IV. All three ROA's use the same exact drug, but b/c of different inactive ingredients, formulations, and ROA's, the 3 preparations have vastly different feeling effects. While people point to the fact that common benzo's aren't water soluble as the reason they shouldn't be taken SL or snorted, this isn't entirely true. The truth is that they are just not VERY water soluble, so some of the drug does in fact get absorbed by capillaries in the nose and mouth, and while it may be a relatively small amount of drug absorbed these ways, due to the stronger effects that SL and snorting offer, a smaller amount of drug absorbed via those ROA's will feel equal to a larger amount of drug absorbed orally.
That said, I don't believe in snorting benzo's b/c there is usually only 2mg's of active drug per a pill that may weigh around 300mg's, that's a lot of junk blocking the 2mg's from being absorbed.
However, SL is different, if one chews the pill, leaves it under the tongue until fully dissolved, and at no point ever swallows any saliva-drug mixture, instead swooshing it around the mouth for a few extra minutes...then some of the drug will have absorbed quicker due to SL absorption, and the rest will be absorbed orally when the saliva is finally swallowed. There is no waste this way like there likely is with snorting, and the faster onset SL absorption offers versus oral absorption, may also offer some different and pleasurable effects. It may be a matter of opinion but that's my thoughts...

Has anybody here snorted Xanax or any other non-water soluble benzo every day without taking it by any other ROA for at least a month and then suffered w/d symptoms? Because personally I think getting off on intra-nasal Xanax is purely placebo from people thinking they get higher off the IN route with any chemical.

^You think that people addicted to snorting Xanax are experiencing placebo? If so, this is wrong, I have read a study specifically on snorted benzo abuse and addiction.

Just b/c xanax has POOR (not zero btw) solubility in water, does NOT mean snorting it won't give the user any effects. Eventually, a significant amount, if not most of the crushed up xanax will drip down the throat and travel into the stomach where it will be absorbed just as if it was taken orally.

-Ok here is the information i have got in short...
"Alprazolam kinetics following sublingual and oral administration. ... The peak plasma concentration after sublingual dosage was higher than after oral administration (17.3 vs. 14.9 ng/ml), and the time of peak concentration following sublingual administration was reached (1.17 vs. 1.73 hours after dose)"
-Now, heres the deal, if you dont mind the taste of Alprazolam then i prefer sublingual. But if you look at the stats you will see there isn't a lot of difference in onset and duration. There is no change in half life. That being said, everyone is wired different. If you can stand the taste then i would suggest it, otherwise just take them orally. My personal opinion insulflation of Alprazolam is a waste all around. Alprazolam is made to start working in 2-5 min orally. If you don't mind the taste, give it a try with your normal dose and see if you can tell a difference. Like i said everyone is diffrent, and a lot of it is between your ears.
GDF

I applaud your efforts Ron and Welcome you to BL :)

One suggestion would be to not revive a 7 year old thread when we just had a xanax administration thread about a week ago. Your post is great it's just the thread you picked is mostly about snorting xanax even though the title says different.

Secondly if you can link the article that you got the info from it makes your point more robust. Hope to see you around. Happy Posting!

/pubmed/3680603/ Alprazolam ROA's tested