• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Sub taper help

Alldonewithit

Bluelighter
Hello everyone. 2 years ago i posted my journal, and was clean goe a little over a year. Found the 12mg of subs i had leftover when i first detoxed using them for just the first 3 days. Well, I've been taking 1mg a day for a year now, and wanna stop. My question is, should i taper down to 1/4mg then use kratom for about a week, and all will be good? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You really think so? That small a dose, for that relative short period of time? Almost sounds as if switching to a short acting opiate for a couple months might be a better idea then?

Nah you're gonna have withdrawals. You should taper lower than 0.2mg if possible and see how you get on. If you're struggling, try going lower or switching to kratom until just out of withdrawal, taper that for a week or 2, then use valium and pregabalin and other comfort meds to help you through the week long kratom withdrawal.

I’ve been on 8 mg for 6 months and the last sub detox was absolute misery. I’m fucked with ya bud

Nah you're gonna have withdrawals. You should taper lower than 0.2mg if possible and see how you get on. If you're struggling, try going lower or switching to kratom until just out of withdrawal, taper that for a week or 2, then use valium and pregabalin and other comfort meds to help you through the week long kratom withdrawal.
I will. Gonna taper down till i can't cut the damn things anymore, then skip a day, dose skip 2 days..... JUMP!!! If any ill effects, I'll hit the red Bali for 4-5 days and see what happens.

Yea I’ve been on 1mg for a long long time. The lowest I got was .5mg for awhile. 1mg is still a decent dose in my opinion, id go like this.

Done

4-7 days per drop. If you can keep to it, it’ll be fairly painless. Keeping to it is the hard part.

-GC

Where I come from we go slow and low. The gold standard 20% drop every 10 to 14 days on a liquid taper. It pretty much mitigates the acute wds down to nothing. PAWS shows up but isn't too bad either.
But like GC said, sticking to it is the hard part. But if you have responsibilities and have to work thru it, liquid taper is the way to go.

Yeah if you dissolve the pills into water and squirt it under your tongue you can give down pretty much as low as you want

Alldonewithit, I believe your plan is pretty sound. I am a major proponent of slow and steady titration. It is better for it to take a long fucking time and be successful than to move to quickly and fuck it all up. Typically when we "fuck up" in this way, it's not a dust yourself off and try again situation. Even if you don't mess up, it will be an emotionally turbulent time.

There are those who favor the "rip the band-aid off quick" approach. I had thought for some time that it was probably better to move into a "bunker" mode; get all of the drugs I need and settle in for a few days of anesthesia. After much trial, error, and consequences in my life, I have come to the conclusion that doing this stuff slowly can be extremely beneficial.

You can titrate in such small increments that you practically do not experience negative symptoms. Finding that sweet spot can be difficult, but once you figure it out, you shouldn't have a hard time. You can really break those strips down into many tiny fragments.

It's my experience that, while it can take several hours for the full effects of the Buprenorphine to be upon you, an experienced user will know what they're into maybe 20 minutes after sublingual administration. This is good because you can easily redose with another fragment. Consume those fragments until you feel you are at a level of withdrawal that you can tolerate.

There will be some trial and error involved man. Youve been taking this drug for an entire year. You are suggesting beginning this process with what is a direct 25% reduction in dose. It's not crazy, but it might knock you off balance. This balance is the name of the game.

- Can you get at least 4 hours of sleep each night?

- Can you eat food/do you have an appetite?

- Hydration?

- Are you able to fulfill your daily obligations (function)?

From here you can start reducing your dose at whatever speed you ultimately feel is right. I have withdrawn from Methadone a couple of times so you can take my word for a lot of this stuff. If you can get the sleep, eat, drink and go to work, you're not moving too quickly.

In the past, I have reduced my Methadone dose too quickly. I'm too sick to sleep one night. The next day at the office is shitty because of it. I start to feel shittier and shittier until I eventually relapsed. If I had planned a little bit better, it wouldn't have mattered one bit to make my 3 month taper 6 months. Now, that taper is a one year taper because I thought I could handle it and moved too quickly.

From my experience, if you are able to be in a comfortable enough spot to not have to do much for a week or two (yes two weeks), then id say rip that band aid off. The sooner the better if you are prepared. The difference in wd from 1mg to .5 mg or whatever is negligible in my opinion. If you do this right, you will only have to do it once.

With your last reup money I suggest buying Loperamide, Gatorade or similar beverages, and if you can, cannabis and maybe a day or two of benzos. Benzos should only be used for those couple of nights where your (or I was) -- close to losing my mind.

Another couple tricks one can do any time for free:

Find an exercise bar or pullup bar that fits in a door way. I was able to lay my arms across the top and completely stretch out my body. It felt awesome for 2.3 seconds lol. But its basically indefinitely repeatable. Also a good hot shower can help more than physically; they can break up the boredom and monotony. This psychological aid is very important. The longer I would just lay around and feel miserable the crazier i felt, and more difficult day it became, so remaining active is just as important to aiding symptoms.

Jump off the plank from that soul pirating ship that is buprenorphine! You have our support

From my experience, if you are able to be in a comfortable enough spot to not have to do much for a week or two (yes two weeks), then id say rip that band aid off. The sooner the better if you are prepared. The difference in wd from 1mg to .5 mg or whatever is negligible in my opinion. If you do this right, you will only have to do it once.

With your last reup money I suggest buying Loperamide, Gatorade or similar beverages, and if you can, cannabis and maybe a day or two of benzos. Benzos should only be used for those couple of nights where your (or I was) -- close to losing my mind.

Another couple tricks one can do any time for free:

Find an exercise bar or pullup bar that fits in a door way. I was able to lay my arms across the top and completely stretch out my body. It felt awesome for 2.3 seconds lol. But its basically indefinitely repeatable. Also a good hot shower can help more than physically; they can break up the boredom and monotony. This psychological aid is very important. The longer I would just lay around and feel miserable the crazier i felt, and more difficult day it became, so remaining active is just as important to aiding symptoms.

Jump off the plank from that soul pirating ship that is buprenorphine! You have our support
Thanks, i appreciate the well thought out response.

Oh if you have 2 weeks off and really want to quit, cold turkey with the aforementioned comfort meds is definitely an option.
All about preference, as those 2 weeks you won't be able to do much (although try to, to take your mind off things).

For some people two weeks isn’t enough time. I dropped off 4mg at once (I know a lot more but not a lot lot more) and Day 11 I was still going up in withdrawal symptoms it was brutal.

I’ve also tried the whole “take off work and get well” routine more times than I can count. There’s too much pressure to get right before you gotta go back that that alone can cause problems. Or if you fuck up then you feel even guiltier because maybe you used up time off or whatever that you can’t get back.

Even if it’s possible I agree that slower the better. As Kief said, the consequences are not something to be taken lightly, depending on what happens we could be talking relapse and potential OD.

-GC

I was able to go cold turkey, and worked my job as a chef successfully during the 6 weeks of wd. I was off luckily for the first 6 days as it happened. I WISH I could have just stayed home or tried to sleep. But im also glad it gave me something to keep my mind off WD. The absolute last place you want to be while freezing/burning your ass off during wd, with the runs, and days no sleep is an 85 degree kitchen on your feet, constantly having to pay attention for 9 hours.

Turns out, mild torture is pretty distracting, but its so much less than I was torturing myself.