• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Study on futuristic sublingual buprenorphine delivery systems

Pegasus

Ex-Bluelighter
Development of Mucoadhesive Dosage Forms of Buprenorphine for Sublingual Drug Delivery
Authors: Nandita G. Dasa; Sudip K. Dasa
Affiliation: a Idaho State University, College of Pharmacy, pocalo, Idaho, USA

Abstract
The development of mucoadhesive formulations of buprenorphine for intended sublingual usage in the treatment of drug addiction is described. The formulations include mucoadhesive polymer films, with or without plasticizers, and mucoadhesive polymer tablets, with or without excipients that enhance drug release and/or improve tablet compaction properties. The mucoadhesive polymers studied include carbomers such as Carbopol 934P, Carbopol 974P, and the polycarbophil Noveon AA-1, with excipients chosen from pregelatinized starch, lactose, glycerol, propylene glycol, and various molecular weights of polyethylene glycol. The development of plasticizer-containing mucoadhesive polymer films was feasible; however, these films failed to release their entire drug content within a reasonable period. Thus, they were not determined suitable for sublingual usage because of possible loss by ingestion during routine meal intakes. The mucoadhesive strength of tablet formulations containing Noveon AA-1 appears to be slightly superior to the Carbopol-containing tablets. However, the Carbopol 974P formulations exhibited superior drug dissolution profiles while providing adequate mucoadhesive strength. The tablet formulations containing Carbopol 974P as mucoadhesive polymer, lactose as drug release enhancer, and PEG 3350 as compaction enhancer exhibited the best results. Overall, the mucoadhesive tablet formulations exhibited superior results compared with the mucoadhesive film formulations.
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a714858402

I'm not really surprised to see propylene glycol on there, but I know that I'm going to try making a solution of Suboxone in propylene glycol. It would probably raise the bioavailability (it is an alcohol), and the effectiveness of absorption.

I just thought some of you out there might find this interesting!

Interesting indeed that they are working to create a superior sub-lingual delivery mechanism. What's puzzling to me though, is that most of the people on buprenorphine that I know, do lines of it as opposed to taking it sub-lingual as directed.

Thats not too puzzling - it has a higher bioavailability when snorted. They could be trying to get high, have a snorting 'fetish,' or maybe they just don't like the time/hassle of taking it sublingually. I know that for me, snorting it is stronger, but I take it sublingually as a matter of principle.

^ Yeah, the matter of principle thing is more what I was getting at. If someone is on subs, it would be my assumption that are trying to lessen their habit and keep w/d symptoms at bay. I can't really understand why someone looking to get high would have switched over to buprenorphine in the first place.