Strength training in combination with cycling?

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
I'm getting into pretty good shape cardio wise now from cycling, but I'm thinking of maybe joining a gym again to put on some muscle and shed some bodyfat. I'd like to lean out at the weight I'm at now but I'm not sure it would be possible without gear. I would think that the way I cycle would get me pretty ripped, but it's not seeming to.

Anyways what would you guys suggest for a routine to incorporate into my cycling? I've done bodybuilding style routines and also powerlifting towards the end, but right now I want something to fit with my cycling.

real intense stretching #1.
and stair stepper.
or find some stairs to work out on.

Check your diet and your cycle of training, don't worry about gear until you hit a plateau.
Cycling should get you shredded very very quick but only if your diet is in check, but growing muscle while leaning out is impossible without gear. Two weeks of cycling, followed by three weeks of loading on weights followed by peak at the 3rd week then back to cycling for two weeks is a good start.
Remember if youre serious you will need to shock your CNS by constantly changing routines, durations even adding an extra activity, yoga, tennis or anything silly that will get you moving around in a new way.

Check your diet and your cycle of training, don't worry about gear until you hit a plateau.
Cycling should get you shredded very very quick but only if your diet is in check, but growing muscle while leaning out is impossible without gear. Two weeks of cycling, followed by three weeks of loading on weights followed by peak at the 3rd week then back to cycling for two weeks is a good start.
Remember if youre serious you will need to shock your CNS by constantly changing routines, durations even adding an extra activity, yoga, tennis or anything silly that will get you moving around in a new way.

Hmmm, interesting. I don't think I could go without cycling for 3 weeks tho, if I'm reading that correctly. Good points tho. I could maybe get my diet into better shape but I'm not sure. I don't really eat THAT much. lol I could probably stand to change up my cycling routine.

Hmmm, interesting. I don't think I could go without cycling for 3 weeks tho, if I'm reading that correctly. Good points tho. I could maybe get my diet into better shape but I'm not sure. I don't really eat THAT much. lol I could probably stand to change up my cycling routine.
The reason I said 3 weeks for lifting because thats what your goal is from my understanding. Gain more muscle mass while leaning out. Since your cycling is already up to par but lifting is not thats why the longer duration for lifting.
Again its a start and once you see results you can always switch it up 2for2 or whatever crafty program you can think of shocking your body into a new zone of uncomfort.
Just remeber to load and deload in the training because even on all the gear in the world you cant push yourself to the limit each time you go for it. Its always a pyramid up and down as a method for progress and preventing injuries and also preventing lowering your immune system to a point when you get sick every month but since you seem to cycle you should be aware of this.

Choose one or the other, lean out or gain. Leaning out requires a caloric deficit while gaining mass requires a surplus. You can't have both at the same time while making any kind of recognizable changes.

Choose one or the other, lean out or gain. Leaning out requires a caloric deficit while gaining mass requires a surplus. You can't have both at the same time while making any kind of recognizable changes.
The way I gain is insane.

No room for fat. Lol I eat a ton of fats all from plants if you want to feel this prowess.

Time to put my actions behind those words but I should stop while I am ahead.

Go ahead and rip me up here.

You can get cut and jacked simultaneously in my books at least. Not here to use roids though so I better check it and go ride my bike and workout at the playgrounds once I am no longer sick.

Sorry if that offended call me the weakness if you must.

My manager is a cycling monster btw. Ripped bod. Not skinny, not a bodybuilder though. He did some serious racing. He must also strength train at the gym he teaches spinning at.

Last edited:
real intense stretching #1.
and stair stepper.
or find some stairs to work out on.
What?!

Ok.

I see what you mean.

Why not hills while we are at it?

Heck wear a Thor costume to the hardwear store and get a sledgehammer then go to the nearest high school football field and wail that sucker on the tractor tires they keep out there.

But for real guys I am about to get a sledge minus worshipping Chris Hemsworth in costume or anywhere but he is a nice man? Ok I mean I am surrounded here by tractor tires begging for me to train on this Spring and Summer.

Guaranteed strength gains.

Consistency is key?

Also I cycle everywhere and it is such a rush and keeps me in amazing shape but I do want to focus on strength more in tandem with it.

Wow did I derail or not add value?

Not my intention. Just my condition right now

All in all wish you the best sir!

Last edited: