• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Strattera damages the skin!?

sacsky

Bluelighter
WTF is this?
I was prescribed strattera. In the leaflet it warns you NOT to open the capsules.
It says if the content gets in contact with the eyes you must wash them. Ok, sounds reasonable.
But it ALSO says that the content must NOT even get in skin contact! Otherwise you must wash it.
WTF? This shit burns your skin but I'm supposed to swallow it? This is ridiculous.

I think I'm not gonna take this shit. Also the warnings sound scary. It says you should not take it when depressed.
But I am depressed already. 8(8o

What if this stuff turns you into a homicidal maniac? This is way too scary for me.

Lol. Sorry, the last part was cute. You'd be a very "focused" maniac.

This is a common warning , and probably to scare you from breaking the capsules. Some people can be sensitive to the ingredients, so keep it away from yer skin.

If you're truly ADD/ADHD, this medication will probably help you so much when your body adjust to it. I have tried them all .. Adderall, Concerta, Strattera, all worked wonderfully the first few months. I have a bleeding stomach ulcer, so I couldn't handle them too long.

Side effects were ... restless legs the first few nights, headache, loss of appetite (which contributed to headaches, starving), stomach discomfort.

If these are legally RX to you and you're under the care of a physician, I say give it a try. TAKE THE RX DOSE NORMAL, DON'T OVER TAKE THEM! If it's ER/TR, you're not going to feel it immediately, so give the meds time. If you take too much, it can cause your ticker to tick too fast, too much, okay?!

But the problem is I already have depression and according to the leaflet it sounds like you must not even get on it when you're already depressed.
Strattera only "treats" adhd, not depression. And I just got off cymbalta which didn't work so I'm currently on my antidepressant. I really don't know if it
would even be safe to now get on strattera which could make me feel worse.

I'm also not sure if boosting NE will help me very much. I mean if my issue is DA then boosting NE won't work. And other NE-boosters like wellbutrin and cymbalta also didn't work for me.
I'm pretty sure that strattera also won't work. I don't know if it's worth the risk to get on it simply to find out what it feels like.

If it concerns you so much, here's a novel idea: don't consume it.

You make these alarmist threads every week where you go on a paranoid rant after reading way to hard in to Rx leaflets.

If it concerns you so much, here's a novel idea: don't consume it.

You make these alarmist threads every week where you go on a paranoid rant after reading way to hard in to Rx leaflets.

This ^

Talk to your Dr. about a different type of anti-depressant medication. Not sure why they put you on ADHD meds, but it's hard to tell you what to do/take, everyone is different.

I have depression and adhd. :(
This makes finding a working combo even harder.
I havent really found anything which helps with any of them.

Strattera isn't going to burn a hole through your skin, the warning is there because some people could experience skin irritation if they smear themselves down with strattera. And i'm sure if you get some on your hand, then touch your eyes or other moist parts, you'd feel it burn. Technically even stuff like alcohol is a skin irritant but people consume it anyway.

Drug companies err on the side of more warnings rather than less. It's nothing to panic about. Just take 'em as directed.

But I never read a similar warning and I've already taken quite a few antidepressants and stimulants.
It really sounds as if getting this stuff on your skin is totally dangerous. To me this warning makes no sense.
I mean if they simply want to make sure that people don't start rubbing it on their skin or in their eyes then they should
also have warned them not to pluck it.
This kind of stuff irritates me cause then I think this stuff must be really dangerous. They also say the capsule must not be opened.
Why? It's a normal capsule. Usually capsules can be opened and put together without any problem. Then why the fuss about not opening it?
I'd rather start with a low dose and open it and remove some of the pellets. I did the same with cymbalta. Cymbalta didn't have any warnings about
not opening the capsule.
I doubt that the strattera gelatine capsule is any different than that which they use for cymbalta. Maybe this is really just about preventing abuse.
Maybe strattera is a super strong stimulant when you chew it or smoke it. Maybe they know about this and worry that once people find out it'll be abused widely
and that's why they try to scare people.

The Strattera capsules have powdered atomoxetine in them, they are just normal gelatin caps otherwise. The warning is likely to keep you from making a big mess if you spill the drug out.

It's certainly not a potent stimulant if you take it other ways or fuck with the dosage: it will just make you sick.

Also using Strattera while depressed may not be a bad idea: studies have shown that it is tolerated well and helps reduce some effects of depression.

For fuck's sake don't read those leaflets.
The leaflet in my box of Celexa warns against drinking alcohol while taking it (dafuq???). Apparently you're also supposed to tell your doctor if you have ever taken NSAIDs before taking it.
The leafet in my box of Diazepam warns against drinking alcohol or using opiate painkillers while on it (which is not unsafe). Apparently you're also supposed to tell your doctor if you're a smoker before taking it... like that bears any relevance whatsoever.

I know that leaflet usually contain a lot of warnings but strattera is the only drug I have ever taken which had such weird warnings about not opening the capsule.
Maybe I'll call the company and ask what this is all about.

Anyway, I started with 18mg strattera today. Didn't really feel much but I'm pretty tired now a few hours later.
I wonder if strattera could be mixed with Zoloft or Brintellix. I definitely needed to take an antidepressant, too. Strattera alone doesn't make sense.
I also want to find out if strattera does works or not as fast as possible. I'm not gonna take this for months.