• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Strategies to prevent issues from regular nasal admin of powders w/ nasal spray pump?

Pegasus

Ex-Bluelighter
Title says it all, pretty much. I'm on a bit of a bupe maintenance plan and have been exercising quite a bit lately and so I do not wish to impede my air flow through my nose or deposit anything in my upper respiratory system when I snort the Suboxone. I do not snort much at a time; part of the reason I do it is because it is so superior in terms of absorption, and the other part is that the effects come on so instantaneously. I could get over the latter pretty easily if the effects were the same from equal doses, but that is not the case...

I am open to all solutions to this problem, and any advice is appreciated.

[Edit- This thread was originally just about harm reduction with snorting Suboxone but has grown to talk about nasal spray pumps for all drugs...]

Last edited:
Inactive Ingredients: lactose, mannitol, cornstarch, povidone K30, citric acid, sodium citrate and magnesium stearate

I'm thinking of going the nasal spray route, but am curious if any of these inactives will just sit around up there in my nasal cavity and collect/ clog, or settle into my lungs... Cornstarch would be the largest concern, from what my intuition tells me...

Last edited:
Are you already water lining, or do you insuffulate the product crushed up off of a mirror?

You could try dissolving Suboxone in water, and filtering out some of the inactives with compacted cotton. :) I think this is your best bet unless you want to micron filter a solution for water lining. And even then, compacted cotton is probably just as good - for snorting, obviously not for other more popular ROA's that people use micron filtering for. :)

I just wanted to say I don't know if cotton filtering or micron filtering would help the issues you are having from nasal administration of Suboxone. I really can't tell you that, as I've never snorted Suboxone. However, this is my first idea overall.

Suboxone is 2% buprenorphine by weight. Heroin (at least the stuff I was using) was many times over more potent. After a year of snorting heroin I had no issues from nasal use (other than tolerance, which comes with every ROA, and other various heroin-associated issues like dependency, homelessness, and acute/PA withdrawal syndromes). However I could see if one were to snort Suboxone for a year, they might have some issues over time.

I'm also going to link this into the Suboxone Mega Thread's directory.

Last edited:
What Captin H said. Disolve in water would be your best bet. But even spraying a few sprays of saline solution up your nost b4 and after snorting would probably help it absorb more,and wash out some of the fillers that are just sittting there

I'm basically dealing w/ the same issue. the suboxone basically has to absorb in your nasal cavity if i am correct. So, if I mix it w/ water won't it just straight through not absorbing much. Sorry I don't know that much I prob wrong. feel free to flame

I'm basically dealing w/ the same issue. the suboxone basically has to absorb in your nasal cavity if i am correct. So, if I mix it w/ water won't it just straight through not absorbing much. Sorry I don't know that much I prob wrong. feel free to flame

Well yes the suboxone has to be absorbed through the mucous membrane of your nasal cavity, but making a solution of suboxone and water will not cause it to "pass through" as you put it. Instead of having the dry suboxone passing through your mucous membrane, you will have a liquid solution, but it will still pas through the membrane (probably even more effectively).-DG

Saline is what I will probably use, and I will try to find a sprayer suitable for this process. It's going to be something that can carry a pretty low concentration, so I'm going to have to do some looking...

Anyone have ideas?

Ahh this is the thread I was looking for.

I'm going to purchase a saline spray bottle for my nose today. I'd like to use the smallest amount of saline to bupe ratio (Like BollWeevil) so I'm open to ideas as well.

As for filtering through a compact cotton - what are we talking here? Is that something I'll have to grab too or is it just a pressed cotton ball? Sorry, I usually don't prep my drugs that well, I just got into the harm reduction idea after reading Dr. Gabor Mate's book.

Anyway, help would be much appreciated!

^I'm assuming they're talking about using a cotton ball like you're prepping a shot for IV... to get most of the non-water soluble solids out, basically.

using a spray that reduces congestion would be a bad idea, correct? as it has vasoconstrictors in it such as tetrahydrazoline, reducing absorption rate? it should be just saline solution, yes?

^That would make sense to me, yes... If you're going to be making the solution yourself like I am, I would definitely use saline...

^No, a reloadable sprayer, saline, and buprenorphine. Fill once with water to see how many sprays you get from full to empty, and from that, figure out how much bupe to put in and how many sprays to get, etc. It's not a perfect method yet, I'll need to experiment a bit with it to get best results...

^^ How did your experimenting go? I'm very curious as I've been working on a similar experiment but with oxymorphone.

Now before I go any further, I apologize if this is de-railing your thread or off-topic. I was thinking maybe putting this in a oxymorph related thread, but to be honest I felt that it fit more into a nasal spray discussion.
It just seemed to me, that this thread was the best one I could find regarding nasal sprays & seemed to fit with what I was looking to discuss, just with a different substance.
So if I'm wrong I apologize. :\

I used a 1 fl oz pump nasal spray that screws off. The size doesn't really matter for my calc's though as I didn't fill it.
After spraying it to count the number of times it sprayed before emptying I came to the conclusion that each spray is approximately .1 cc.
As such I attempted to make a spray that was 3mg per CC.
I took 15mg of Opana IR, and proceeded to cold shake it in a oral syringe with 5 CC's of
Saline (Sodium Chloride .65% and Phenylcarbinol and Benzalkonium Chloride as preservatives)
After shaking/dissolving for a few minutes (I was inpatient) I then pushed the mixture through a cotton ball into the nasal spray bottle.
The spray seems to work fine as far as I can tell.
It's a very low dose approx .3mg per spray by my calculations, but seems to work.
I decided to use such a low dose as I didn't want to take a chance of being wrong in some way and getting to much/the whole thing in 1 spray.

The question I have is basically if my method/calculations are accurate or if I'm missing something.
Not having the solubility and such of oxymorphone handy, I'm basically curious as to whether or not the concentrations would be essentially equal per spray.

As by my (potentially flawed) math, if I dissolved 15mg in 5 CC's, that would be 3mg per CC.
If each spray is .1 CC's, that would be approx .3mg per spray.
This is assuming that the mixture would be equally distributed in the saline.
This may be an incorrect assumption. So if anyone has more information, tips, or other information correcting/helping me it would be greatly appreciated.

And again sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to post this. If there is somewhere more appropriate feel free to move/direct me to it.

^I haven't done mine yet but certainly plan to.

Oxymorphone is water soluble, so that should have worked perfectly! The only thing is that some sprayers don't give the same amount for each spray. To combat this, I would either dilute the solution more so that you need more sprays to get your regular dose, or to get one of the really accurate nasal spray pumps. Honestly, I think just diluting the solution a bit to require 3 or more pumps for a good dose would work just wonderfully, though!

Don't worry about derailing the thread... in fact, I'm going to change the title to deal with nasal spray pumps for all drugs...

i maintained on intranasal subuxone for a while and used a aerosol propelled saline solution. The product is called simply saline and no, you dont inhale the aerosol, it is a propellant and dispersed elsewhere. This non-drug treatment left my nose surpsingly open, and i love to jog and had no problems, and no sinus infections. I maintained on bupe for two 4 month periods.

Don't worry about derailing the thread... in fact, I'm going to change the title to deal with nasal spray pumps for all drugs...

Great idea BW!

There was another thread where people were discussing doing this idea with Adderall, but I don't exactly remember if the whole thread was dedicated to that idea or not.

This gives us a concise place to discuss creating a nasal spray solution for drugs. I would do this if I still snorted anything - but I don't. Heroin was the only drug that was "ideal" to snort for me (IV rush is heavenly but the duration sucks in comparison to snorting).

In reply to the inquiry on cotton; compacted cotton refers to this idea.

Some people just throw in a cotton ball in the spoon they have their IV solution in, and pull the solution through the cotton by putting the needle tip in the cotton. This doesn't allow for the smallest pores for cotton.

If you compact cotton into a syringe (using the plunger to compact it), you can have as small as 50um pores, which is better than nothing (for nasal use). This is the best way to pre-filter with cotton when micron filtering, or to filter with cotton for nasal solutions.

i maintained on intranasal subuxone for a while and used a aerosol propelled saline solution. The product is called simply saline and no, you dont inhale the aerosol, it is a propellant and dispersed elsewhere. This non-drug treatment left my nose surpsingly open, and i love to jog and had no problems, and no sinus infections. I maintained on bupe for two 4 month periods.

If I may ask, how many milligrams of buprenorphine did you put in how many milliliters of saline?

Last edited:
^I haven't done mine yet but certainly plan to.

Oxymorphone is water soluble, so that should have worked perfectly! The only thing is that some sprayers don't give the same amount for each spray. To combat this, I would either dilute the solution more so that you need more sprays to get your regular dose, or to get one of the really accurate nasal spray pumps. Honestly, I think just diluting the solution a bit to require 3 or more pumps for a good dose would work just wonderfully, though!

Glad to see that my post helped expand the thread. :)

Just a quick question regarding the accuracy of these methods.
I see that you mentioned sprays not being equal, as well as that factor I was wondering about distribution of product in the sprayer.
As per my example in my previous post, I am inclined to wonder if the product is distributed evenly.
Basically whether or not the oxymorphone would be distributed evenly in the saline, or if it would be unevenly distributed in the saline.
Which would cause each spray to have different amounts regardless of the amount of saline per spray.
I shake up the sprayer between uses but I'd like a definitive answer on this rather than my random guesses. :\
If anyone has any more information generally regarding this it would be greatly appreciated.
Information specifically regarding oxymorphone (solubility, how it would distribute, etc.) would be great.
However if you feel it doesn't apply to the thread feel free to PM me said information rather than cluttering the thread.

Last edited:
Does the Saline solution make the subutex/suboxone less metabolised in the nasal membranes? or is it the same as if you would just snort it?