• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Strange kratom symptoms ( shortness of breath ect.)

Kdawg967

Greenlighter
I was turned on to kratom by a friend about a month ago, a much better alternative to heroin and dilaudid and other opiates. I like it because I don't fiend for it and gets my downer fix cheaper and safer. All was well and good with use of 4-7 grams of high quality (but non-extract) powder leaf spread throughout the day. Then last Monday I took a regular 3g dose, and then took a small half gram 2 hours later to keep myself buzzed through class, but then I got a shortness of breath like that of taking too much opiates and dizziness as well. I was frightened and left class early. I took a small dose yesterday, and none today, the shortness of breathe is still being felt albeit mildly. I would like to know what other thoughts are on this. I have been using more maeng da and bali lately instead of borneo and indo. Could this be it?

Last edited:
We don't SWIM here, it doesn't protect you and just makes your posts harder to read.

It sounds like you're just taking too much. Especially if you get dizzy and nauseous. Remember that the strength of kratom can vary between batches.

It was a dose less than my normal dose, it has been over 24 hours since I last took a dose, and I still feel short of breath.

Update: I gave it a three days break and felt slightly better. I had some blood work done and a complete metabolic examination. My liver and kidneys were fine but my blood sugars were slightly below normal at 64, and some calcium and other thing slightly to high. So i decided to test the idea that kratom might have something to do with by taking a small dose. It was a bad idea I still felt light headed but then after the kratom I felt like passing out and got really bad naseau. So bad I got pale and couldn't hold a conversation. The sick part is I still felt that slight good high from the kratom at the same time. I'm going to give kratom a full week or two break, continue to stay healthy and get an extensive physical. Will keep this thread updated in the hope of getting some others thoughts and just spreading some experiences about this obscure not well tested drug.

Last edited:
Kratom sucks ime, but if you like it, I guess go for it. You got your blood sugar checked, and it was low. That explains your dizziness and whatnot. Eat an apple or something, it keeps your blood sugar up and the doctor away. If you feel like this again, drink a sugary beverage like a soda. It's probably your diet m8.

I wish it was, that would be so easy to correct. I used to be an avid body builder and have taken a nutrition course. I eat healthy and at regular intervals. Unfortunately it is not diet.

I have been getting extreme shortness of breath ever since starting kratom. I quit smoking cigs and it's gotten even worse. 24/7 now....even if I don't take the kratom. So something is up...

I said I'd never go to a hospital again but I am really considering going now, just to see what is up. I think I could have severe COPD...but why did my symptoms appear only after I started kratom? I never had this before....it's new to me

I got this back when I was on Kratom too but it would disappear as soon as I stopped taking it. I have a Rx inhaler that would immediately remedy the issue so it never was a big problem for me. Don't know what causes it though.

Weird, I've never had anything like shortness of breath and I've had doses far exceeding that. I get dizziness/nausea sometimes but that's usually just from having too much and I find taking an anti-nausea pill can help. (It seems to be a weird sort of motion sickness in my experience.) Had you had any other drugs before then? Maybe it's a interaction.

As for blood sugar... Even if your diet is good and you eat regularly, you may want to try eating a small amount of carb-containing food soon after having the kratom. For example, if you're having kratom sometime in the late-afternoon and it's been a few hours since you had lunch, that could be the cause of it. Other than that, I dunno.

I used to get this all the time. The shortness of breath kinda feels similar to a state of anxiety or panic or some such sensation, with the dizzyness best described as confusion or restlessness? When i started Kratom years back I never respected the subtlety of it and didnt know what to expect (having never experienced anything similar to an opiate effect before.)

As such I would overdo it big time from the start, expecting something different or powerful (being an idiot used to obvious stimulant type effects only previously). This built my tolerance fast and the result of my very high doses would always end up with a a very annoying stimulating anxiety type sensation with the major issue always being a weird shortness of breath type experience and panicky type experience. A wierd type of anxiety that I have often told myself can be even worse or more scary then some stim comedowns.

To this day i always need to be careful as Kratom will suddenly turn from a decent pleasantly stimulating euphoric experience into wierd anxiety at the turn of a hat, if I over do it. I wish i respected it properly back then. I have never been able to get my first effects back, even after going years without using. Sigh

Kratom lowers blood sugar- I've seen it with my own bloodwork. If you have low blood sugar to begin with, it can make it low enough that you'll feel sick and shaky and weak. I'm positive that's what's causing your symptoms. A snack after dosing would probably fix it.

I've never had shortness of breath or shallow breathing from kratom, personally, and Ive used a lot of it.

Its most likely from not being able to digest it, in a timely manner.
(probably feel a little pressure in your upper chest area too ?)