• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Sterility question and contaminants

R117329

Greenlighter
Buddy of mine prepared a small vial of suspended buprenorphine. He ran water and the dissolved tablets thru a .22 filter into a sterile vial, using sterile equipment and taking precautions to maintain sterility. He had the vial a couple days and his bacteriostatic water he needed finally arrived. He transfered the BA water to the sterile vial with a 30g syringe before going to bed. Int he morning, he notices contaminants floating that were not there last time he looked. Little whitish-clear flakes to be exact. He thinks perhaps it came from plastic in the syringe used to transfer the BA, or maybe even the BA bottle itself? He boiled the vial for 30 minutes for a further sterilization precaution, but the flakes remain.

Question is, what the heck could they be?? The plan will be to re-filter, but that was his only sterile vial unfortunately.

People seriously go through this much work every time they shoot up? I mean I never re-use a rig, but that's as far as I go

If you want to minimize the chances of serious complications at some point down in your life, it's really smart to take proper precautions. A buddy of mine shot up heroin all the time, and then one day he got an abscess. It was so gnarly, he was laid up with a fever and could barely move, I kept trying to get him to go the hospital but he was a double felon and had no health insurance or money. Took days to go down. If he had dissolved into bacteriostatic water, through a micron filter, the fact that he missed wouldn't have produced an abscess. It's even more important for IM injections.

Anyway OP, I have no idea, sorry.

Plastic sounds unlikely if they was not there the day before. If you are confident in your process, and are sure there are no other possible means for contamination, it is possible something precipitated out of solution- though if this were the case I would think boiling would be enough heat to re-dissolve. However. if the boiling point of the substance that precipitated out of solution is higher than that of water, it may not have been enough heat. If this were the case, adding more water+agitation should allow the precipitate to re-dissolve, but I'm not entirely certain on this.

Disclaimer: I'm not familiar at all with bacteriostatic water, and it very well could have something to do with the properties of that water. Also, my chemistry is amateur at best, and I would not trust myself when it comes to injecting something into my own body.

Mafioso, I had the same thoughts. It was definitely after the dilution, which was maybe 50% BA, 2.5ml or so. Made me wonder, would people counterfeit BA water? I know it was in a shortage a while ago, not sure now. But that would be a lot of work for $10.