• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Starting methadone on monday and need advice!

Mantha520

Greenlighter
Ok so me and my BF have decided to make the switch to methadone. We have been both using for 5 plus years on and off. We are to the point where we are both muscling it, it's the only way we can get well. We use BTH and it's just that time! We are both covered in abcesses all the time and it's just really getting old. So my question is about starting on methadone. I know they start you off low and go up from there. We both work and are worried about still being sick in the beginning until we can get up to our comfortable dose. Is it possible to still use after dosing for the first couple of days to get well to get through work? Is my big question. I know it's not recommended and I'm not looking for anyone to tell me it's not a good idea or it defects the purpose. I just want to know if it is possible and will help to get me well enough to get through my work day until I can get up to my right dose or tell it's bareable to make it through the day! If there is anyone that has personal experience with this and can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking to be on methadone so I can continue to get high I'm just trying to make it through the first week and still be able to function because I work 2 jobs and can't offord to take time off without loosing my jobs. So if anyone has gone through this please let me know and if you have real advice on how to do it until I can get stable on my dose. I have already tried suboxone and it was he'll I was on 2 mg and still feeling sick! Iam really serious about getting off the stuff and doctors have already told us with the amount we use that suboxone is not the best option. Sorry if I'm rambling but if anyone has been able to do this and has advice on how to please respond back with understanding and no criticism. Thank you!

Hey there Mantha. Welcome to BL.

Taking heroin and methadone simultaneously is fine. They are both full agonists so you won't be sick or anything.

When you get your first cup of m'done if you take a shot later in the day it might not get you as high as usual since the 'done will be on your receptors. You won't be sick though. So the shot gets you well just not as high. Then after the first few days or a week or so you can eliminate the heroin and see how you feel on just the m'done.

This might be wrong so I'm gonna tag a girl that knows a lot about it as she is on MMT @JessFR .

Anyway. Good luck on the start of your new life. I hope it works out well for you.

Hellllooo! <3

Ok so me and my BF have decided to make the switch to methadone. We have been both using for 5 plus years on and off. We are to the point where we are both muscling it, it's the only way we can get well. We use BTH and it's just that time! We are both covered in abcesses all the time and it's just really getting old. So my question is about starting on methadone. I know they start you off low and go up from there. We both work and are worried about still being sick in the beginning until we can get up to our comfortable dose. Is it possible to still use after dosing for the first couple of days to get well to get through work? Is my big question. I know it's not recommended and I'm not looking for anyone to tell me it's not a good idea or it defects the purpose. I just want to know if it is possible and will help to get me well enough to get through my work day until I can get up to my right dose or tell it's bareable to make it through the day! If there is anyone that has personal experience with this and can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking to be on methadone so I can continue to get high I'm just trying to make it through the first week and still be able to function because I work 2 jobs and can't offord to take time off without loosing my jobs. So if anyone has gone through this please let me know and if you have real advice on how to do it until I can get stable on my dose. I have already tried suboxone and it was he'll I was on 2 mg and still feeling sick! Iam really serious about getting off the stuff and doctors have already told us with the amount we use that suboxone is not the best option. Sorry if I'm rambling but if anyone has been able to do this and has advice on how to please respond back with understanding and no criticism. Thank you!

Alrighty, you definitely can use heroin while also on methadone, it's risky, as all this stuff always is. But yes it will work.

The main issue I can think of is drug testing. Rules are different in different places for whether you have to be giving clean urines to stay on methadone, So the main issue I'd be concerned about is if there were any issue if you came up positive in a later drug test. It prooobably would be ok, it's just that the rules vary, I know what the rules are like where I live, and here I don't think it'd be a problem, but if you're using tar, you definitely don't live where I live.

It also varies how fast they will increase your methadone dose, as well as what they will start you on. Here if you're a heavy user they generally start you on 30-40mg.

You might well have some withdrawal in the first few days, but if you get your methadone early in the morning (as a lot of people who have jobs to get to need to) then it probably won't be too bad.

It takes a few days for the methadone to build up, regardless of what dose you start on, so by day 3 30mg will be more effective than day 1, but it's likely you'll keep increasing up till when you tell them you're comfortable, and not sick when you wake up. For me I'm on 80mg.

Main thing is to be able to get through that first week, it shouldn't take too long to get up to a dose where you're feeling a lot better, probably inside of the first couple weeks. But you gotta keep going for those couple weeks, cause if you miss multiple doses in a row they often won't give you your full dose, which then of course increases the risk of you continuing to use.

I was definitely still using though for the first week or so when I got on methadone. Actually I've been inducted into a methadone program I think 3 times and was using the first weeks each time. First 2 times didn't really stick, but I was very serious by the 3rd and got stable.

The heroin will most likely still work and be euphoric (or about as euphoric as normal) in the first few days since you'll likely not be on that much (for your tolerance anyway) and it'll be building up in your system, but eventually once you're on enough, it's likely you won't feel the need for heroin and will probably feel like you can tell that it wouldn't be very good if you had it (at least that's how it felt to me). I'd be cautious to not get on too much more than you need to though cause it can be quite sedating, particularly in the first few months. You wanna feel well pretty much all the time, but still functional.

I wish you luck <3
If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. <3

Last edited:
Hey mate listen everyone will probably still be taking heroin on methadone because their scared but it won't necessary at all once you are on the right dose when I took methadone for nearly a whole month without smoking any smack I can't remember the last time I felt so close to my old self everyone I spoke to said that I sounded better I sounded cheerful just don't be a lazy idiot like my and start missing days just because your not sick that day or can get some heroin honestly one thing I will tell you 100% direct is it you think your not ready to quit heroin you should not start the methadone but it you have already started it, forget about that because it can be a pain getting back on it and starting from the beginning.

oh and if for some reason you don't want to take your methadone dose you might get away with holding it in your mouth until your clear then spitting it into a bottle or container beware some chemists know about this though.

Do it. It doesn't cause abscesses for one thing. For another it will free up huge amounts of energy, mental and physical, and allow for the beginning of the healing of your body. A step in the right direction that takes courage.

I suspect your doctor said that re Suboxone because of the need to be in withdrawal before starting treatment. And because there are all kinds of Supportive Services attached to a methadone clinic which you will probably benefit from. You will even benefit from having a routine that is geared toward recovery, getting up early, going to the clinic and so on. And the peace of mind that comes from knowing you don't have to score for the next 24 hours.

Do it. It doesn't cause abscesses for one thing. For another it will free up huge amounts of energy, mental and physical, and allow for the beginning of the healing of your body. A step in the right direction that takes courage.

I suspect your doctor said that re Suboxone because of the need to be in withdrawal before starting treatment. And because there are all kinds of Supportive Services attached to a methadone clinic which you will probably benefit from. You will even benefit from having a routine that is geared toward recovery, getting up early, going to the clinic and so on. And the peace of mind that comes from knowing you don't have to score for the next 24 hours.

Well, also subuxone isn't as strong as methadone. Some people's tolerance seems to be too high to get good effect from subuxone. Especially given subuxone has a ceiling.

I went on methadone for that reason.

I think some people are put on subuxone inappropriately. They still crave opioids constantly even on it. Even if it's sufficient to suppress most opioid symptoms most of the day.

It's just not ideal for everyone.

Well, also subuxone isn't as strong as methadone. Some people's tolerance seems to be too high to get good effect from subuxone. Especially given subuxone has a ceiling.

I think some people are put on subuxone inappropriately. They still crave opioids constantly even on it. Even if it's sufficient to suppress most opioid symptoms most of the day.

Also there are all sorts of potential pitfalls associated with the transition from full-time heroin addiction to Suboxone maintenance. Beginning methadone is simple and straightforward in comparison

Ok so I am scheduled to start my intake tomorrow morning and I an totally ready to be off the dope its been on and off for years now but im to the point where I'm really done this time! I just have to be able to make it thru my work week without being sick. Once I'm to the point where I'm not sick in the morning and on a stable dose I don't want to ever touch dope again! I'm not looking to use it to get high or manipulate the system at all. Thank you all for the feed back! I just have one question? When I go for my I take and first dose I don't have to be in withdrawl like for subs right? I plan on going at 6 am so can I get well in the morning b4 I go or do they need to see me in withdrawl before they dose me?

Yes this last time I detoxed on subs it was a nightmare! I waited almost 24hrs before I took the subs because I was scared of PW. And I was still sick for 3 days before I felt any sort of relief. I was on the max 24 mg a day and still didn't feel right! My side effects were something I've never felt before on subs I still didn't feel 100% I had very little energy and blurred vision for some reason. My doc told me I should be feeling completely normal but I didn't and that's why I ended up going back to using. So tomorrow when I go do I have to show up in WD for them to dose me or is that only for suboxone?

Yes this last time I detoxed on subs it was a nightmare! I waited almost 24hrs before I took the subs because I was scared of PW. And I was still sick for 3 days before I felt any sort of relief. I was on the max 24 mg a day and still didn't feel right! My side effects were something I've never felt before on subs I still didn't feel 100% I had very little energy and blurred vision for some reason. My doc told me I should be feeling completely normal but I didn't and that's why I ended up going back to using. So tomorrow when I go do I have to show up in WD for them to dose me or is that only for suboxone?

Only for subuxone. ;)

So you don't need to be sick this time, I don't think I was sick once when I inducted on methadone last time.

Subuxone has a higher binding affinity than most opioid drugs, and it's not as powerful, so if you're not sick when you get on it, your opioid activity in your body plummets and you get sick.

Methadone isn't like that, it's more like if you took something like oxy with heroin, they're additive.

Ok thank you I feel better about all of this now! Well I'm finally asking this huge commitment that I've been trying to do for a long time. I have a 45 min drive to get there every morn which is a commitment in it self but im so ready to start getting better!! Thank you for all the advice and I will update yall in a couple days on how I'm doing! I'm so thankful for a site like this where I can get the answered I need that are nowhere else on the internet!!

Hi, everyone’s covered it but methadone & heroin are fine together, but don’t od because methadone won’t block heroin like bup subs does. First day on methadone I got sleepy not nods but it was really restful. After a couple days it starts to stimulate more. Good luck.

Ok thank you I feel better about all of this now! Well I'm finally asking this huge commitment that I've been trying to do for a long time. I have a 45 min drive to get there every morn which is a commitment in it self but im so ready to start getting better!! Thank you for all the advice and I will update yall in a couple days on how I'm doing! I'm so thankful for a site like this where I can get the answered I need that are nowhere else on the internet!!
Many clinics give supplemental doses especially to new patients, check with yours. If available it won't be administered for at least 2 hours after 1st dose. Hope you get a good counselor, and by all means be as truthful as you can especially about your desire to not pick up and get a proper dosage that holds you. Methadone is a potent opioid that lasts a long time. Even after you stop feeling it you'll notice you're not dope sick.

To me methadone wasn’t the answer , kicking heroin is like a walk in the park on a sunny day compared to kicking a methadone habit , with me being a city dweller and knowing loads of people who got caught up in the methadone trap.
Programs around here had a 21 day methadone detox which only went to 35 mg a day but after your second dose you were no longer sick even with a bundle a day habit , my advice is to get off of methadone as soon as your able too, you could do it

To me methadone wasn’t the answer , kicking heroin is like a walk in the park on a sunny day compared to kicking a methadone habit , with me being a city dweller and knowing loads of people who got caught up in the methadone trap.
Programs around here had a 21 day methadone detox which only went to 35 mg a day but after your second dose you were no longer sick even with a bundle a day habit , my advice is to get off of methadone as soon as your able too, you could do it

Sure but a lot of people just aren't ready to get completely clean. Methadones not a perfect ideal solution for everyone everytime I don't think any sensible person would argue otherwise.

But it has some of the best success at reducing overdose of all the opioid treatments.

Sure but a lot of people just aren't ready to get completely clean. Methadones not a perfect ideal solution for everyone everytime I don't think any sensible person would argue otherwise.

But it has some of the best success at reducing overdose of all the opioid treatments.
That’s fine if your not completely ready to stop but my point was that methadone has long claws and withdrawal is brutal compared to heroin which after 3-4 days is maxed out and slowly improves over the next 2 weeks , methadone doesn’t start easing up for a few weeks to a month and lingers on for months .

The only real treatment for heroin addiction is abstinence, if you take any other drug so you don’t go thru withdrawal your simply substitute one drug for another,Period…

That’s fine if your not completely ready to stop but my point was that methadone has long claws and withdrawal is brutal compared to heroin which after 3-4 days is maxed out and slowly improves over the next 2 weeks , methadone doesn’t start easing up for a few weeks to a month and lingers on for months .

The only real treatment for heroin addiction is abstinence, if you take any other drug so you don’t go thru withdrawal your simply substitute one drug for another,Period…

Mm no.

There's lots of treatments for heroin addiction. To suggest that abstinence is the only way is pure nonsense. And it's thar attitude that gets people killed by pressuring them into trying to quit entirely when they're not 100% ready.

I can't begin to tell you how many instances I've heard of people pressured by well meaning people to get of methadone, who then relapsed and died.

Abstinence isn't the goal. Functioning is. Substitution therapies improve functioning in life this is very well established.

IF you want to get clean, and you feel 100% ready, maintenance probably isn't the right option for you. But to suggest everyone should be trying for abstinence of that's not treatment is completely irresponsible.

You're not wrong in how hard methadone can be to get off. You're completely correct. And that is something that should be explained to anyone who gets on it (or subuxone for that matter) and id agree it's not emphasized enough.

But not everyone is gonna get clean. We don't live forever. And to suggest that people shouldn't even get on maintenance because it's not a "real treatment" or whatever does every bit a disservice as suggesting substitution is the only option.

You're entitled to your opinions, but I think you're wrong in this absolutist mindset, and given how many I've heard of that I believe died because of an irresponsible emphasis on abstinence as the only option when they wanted to stop using heroin but were by no means ready too. I'm not gonna let your opinion go unchallenged.

It is substituting one drug for another. That's true. But it's still a treatment. And it has improved an enormous number of lives. The data speaks for itself.

That doesn't mean it's for everyone and it certainly doesn't mean there aren't people who get on it and come to regret it. But all treatments carry risk. It's for each person to evaluate the risks for their situation and decide which treatment they feel is best.

Last edited:
Mm no.

There's lots of treatments for heroin addiction. To suggest that abstinence is the only way is pure nonsense. And it's thar attitude that gets people killed by pressuring them into trying to quit entirely when they're not 100% ready.

I can't begin to tell you how many instances I've heard of people pressured by well meaning people to get of methadone, who then relapsed and died.

Abstinence isn't the goal. Functioning is. Substitution therapies improve functioning in life this is very well established.

IF you want to get clean, and you feel 100% ready, maintenance probably isn't the right option for you. But to suggest everyone should be trying for abstinence of that's not treatment is completely irresponsible.

You're not wrong in how hard methadone can be to get off. You're completely correct. And that is something that should be explained to anyone who gets on it (or subuxone for that matter) and id agree it's not emphasized enough.

But not everyone is gonna get clean. We don't live forever. And to suggest that people shouldn't even get on maintenance because it's not a "real treatment" or whatever does every bit a disservice as suggesting substitution is the only option.

You're entitled to your opinions, but I think you're wrong in this absolutist mindset, and given how many I've heard of that I believe died because of an irresponsible emphasis on abstinence as the only option when they wanted to stop using heroin but were by no means ready too. I'm not gonna let your opinion go unchallenged.

It is substituting one drug for another. That's true. But it's still a treatment. And it has improved an enormous number of lives. The data speaks for itself.

That doesn't mean it's for everyone and it certainly doesn't mean there aren't people who get on it and come to regret it. But all treatments carry risk. It's for each person to evaluate the risks for their situation and decide which treatment they feel is best.
Where did I say that “ abstinence is the only way “ ? I was just keeping it real but if you like your pills “sugar coated” then good for you but I believe in honesty .
I was a functional dope fiend for 3 decades and I’m just sharing my experience ,that’s all.

I'm a little bit offended that I wasn't invited personally to your little sewing circle. Drugs are my thing. I was always told as a child to "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life", which has been true in many ways, albeit in a twisted meaning separate from the intended.

I was on Methadone for about 3 years and I pretty much owe my relative success in quitting Heroin to the program and 12-Step stuff. I know the latter isn't for everyone. I still smoke trees and was using Methadone when I started, which were both frowned upon. I just never talked about them and was able to take what I wanted from the program. I'm just saying, you might want to give it a try.

I'm not going to wax philosophical here, but I will say that you should only go on Methadone Maintenance if you have a SERIOUS intention to try to get better. Whatever better means, I don't know, but the key here is the mens rea. You know how serious you are deep down. Lots of folks who THINK they want to get better but aren't in reality dedicated to the proces. They end up on high dosages of Methadone at which point their Opioid cravings are satiated and they take the opportunity to use other drugs. They then find themselves with a major crack habit and a Methadone dependency. I'm just saying, consider all of this, I'm not preaching. I understand you've used up your veins and you probably don't have a lot of choice in this matter. For this reason, Methadone is probably the right choice regardless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The actual process, what is known as induction is pretty standardized throughout most of the world. I got Methadone in Turkey for a couple of weeks and the guidelines were the exact same as in the United States. This is probably because Methadone Maintenance was championed by a single team of doctors, notably, Dr. Marie Nyswander who's research and seminal work "The Drug Addict as a Patient" created a groundbreaking change in mentality and practice. Her work has defined the practice since she originally started in in the 60's in NYC.

You will go to the clinic. You will talk to a prescriber. They are going to evaluate the extent of your withdrawal based upon symptoms. The maximum dose allowed by federal law in the United States is 30mg on the first day. This is not enough to make you not sick if you're using Heroin. They have to be safe. You need that 30mg so when they ask you about your symptoms, sell that shit like a bad Mypillow infomercial. Your diarrhea is constant, powerful and your stomach feels as if it is being twisted into knots. They are going to look at all of the symptoms. Some are self-reported and others are examined like pupil dilation, piloerection, yawning, lacrimation etc.

You should not have any trouble getting the 30mg, but still, sell it. After your first day, you're going to be required to report to the clinic every day during dosing hours for your dose. A typical progression is that you will be evaluated daily, usually for 5 days. Each of these evaluations will be similar to the initial one in which you will be evaluated and increased by either 5mg or 10mg, but no more. So, by the end of your 6th day, you could be on 80mg if you do your thing. This is much more helpful and would probably keep you well for a day of work.

They will ask you if you're using other Opioids, but in my experience you will not be chastised and in fact, it's even expected. The staff are aware that 30mg is not enough to hold a true addict. It will not effect the rate at which you go up or anything like that.

The good news is, take-home medication is being applied very liberally right now as a result of Covid and you're going into the clinic directly before much of this is to be rescinded as the risk for infection seems to be dropping by the day. Most clinics, at least in the East, will begin giving you every other day take home medication. You go in, drink your dose, then you get a dose to take home for the following day. If you're good, you could end up with weekly takehomes within 2 months enabling you to only go to the clinic once a week.

BENZODIAZEPINES ARE AN ABSOLUTE NO-NO. If you test positive upon intake, it's fine, but if you get caught using Benzodiazepines during treatment, the standard practice is to have your dose cut in half immediately until you can produce a urinalysis clean of Benzos. Common Benzodiazepines like Clonazepam (Klonopin) and Diazepam (Valium) are knwn to be detectable for up to 4 weeks by sophisticated tests. This will also preclude you from any and all takehome medication.

So yes, it's very common for people to keep supplementing their Methadone with dope until they get to a comfortable place. It shouldn't effect your treatment or progress. Do you have any other questions?

Where did I say that “ abstinence is the only way “ ? I was just keeping it real but if you like your pills “sugar coated” then good for you but I believe in honesty .
I was a functional dope fiend for 3 decades and I’m just sharing my experience ,that’s all.

You said it right here.

You really gonna tell me that when you said "the only real treatment is abstinence.. Period", that a reasonable person wouldn't interpret that to mean "abstinence is the only way"?

You're giving your opinion, I am too the difference is I'm actually saying it's my opinion.

I was a heroin addict a long time too, hell I probably still am. You can give your opinion, but I'm gonna give mine too.

If you just wanna emphasize that methadone is very hard to get off and that you should think very carefully about your long term goals and what you think you're ready for in deciding to get on it, I'd be all on board.

But that's not what you said, you said methadone isn't a real treatment and that abstinence is the only real treatment.

Annnd I don't agree and am gonna say as much cause I think what you're arguing puts people at risk. At least in the way you said it.