• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

St Johns Wort MAOI activity

yuppu

Bluelighter
There is no way that SJW is an maoi in a strong sense is it? I see way too many warnings on this site advising against combinations/subsequent dosing, based off of the evidence. SJW if it does have maoi activity would have the activity Id think of similarly reported maoi containing plants such as tea, kava, etc. but It dosnt even seem to effect me like those do. Id think their would be atleast findings of it way earlier waranting tyramine reactions or otherwise. anyone got any clear info?

I've looked into this b4 and i think the latest info disproves that it has any effect on MAO. However i think that taking it with an MAOI may or maynot be dangerous.

Maybe because Im feeling the "blues" but I only felt the effect of it after the initial dose as well. Maybe it initially is an MAOI and then reverses into other effects?

ponderous.

Certain parts of the plant, parts that are usually only used in inferior cheap store-brand products, contain compounds called xanthrones which are relatively weak MAOIs, on the order of passionflower and such. Not gonna cause tyramine problems or anything.

However, St. Johns Wort is a relatively strong SSRI (as well as GABA and norepinephrine and dopamine) so there are things that you shouldn't mix with it I.E: MDMA etc.

Although taking MDMA after you've been on an SSRI for a while is pretty harmless (and totally effectless and a waste of mdma), taking an SSRI acutely with MDMA or another strong serotonin releaser could result in serotonin syndrome.

Well I did some searching and it turns out SJW may be a MAOI but probly in really high doses. Hypericin was thought to be the principle ingrediant to cause MAO inhibition but as it turns out hypericin is pretty week and XANTHONEs are the MAOIs.

I'm confused about 1 thing. Xanthone is refferenced as an MAOI. Is straight xanthone present in herbs? Is it an MAOI, wiki says nothing about its neuroligical activity, just that it's used as an insecticide (yummy). Does anyone know????? is it more inhibitory toward A or B or both? What's the dosage needed of xanthone for decent inhibitory effect. It's use as an MAOI seems to be mentioned in articals related mangosteen fruit but I dont know if it's some sort of typo or what

Last edited:
Ahh, I guess I sorta answered my question(well partially) the blurb attached to this link...
doi.wiley.com/10.1002/med.2610150406
the artical about MAOIs said"of all the compounds tested xanthone itself was the most potent..." then it leaves u hanging cuz I would have to buy the artical to find out dose and if it's for A or B, o well