• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos SSRIs + Klonopin

bl0000

Greenlighter
I take 150 mg of Effexor daily for panic disorder and have access to 1 mg pills of clonazepan, which is usually enough to get me the dizzy euphoria I'm after. Is there any danger in the interaction between the SSRI and benzo? And when will my tolerance build up to the point I need more?

I take 150 mg of Effexor daily for panic disorder and have access to 1 mg pills of clonazepan, which is usually enough to get me the dizzy euphoria I'm after. Is there any danger in the interaction between the SSRI and benzo? And when will my tolerance build up to the point I need more?

There is no danger in mixing SSRIs and benzos, but Effexor is not an SSRI. It is an SNRI (serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor). You should be fine mixing the two.

10 years on 20-60 mg paroxetine + 0.5-2 mg clonazepam combination every day. Combination is safe.

10 years on 20-60 mg paroxetine + 0.5-2 mg clonazepam combination every day. Combination is safe.

5 years on 300mg Fluvoxamine + 0.5mg-1mg Clonazepam. Oh and OP asked about tolerance. It's hard to say. Everybody is different, but usually after about maybe 6 months or so your dose of Clonazepam will seem like it isn't working as well as it did when you first started taking it. That's just a ballpark estimate based on personal experience, I'm not a scientist or a doctor or anything like that.

Tolerance to benzos will build, with or without antidepressants. If you're sticking to the 1mg as and when prescribed, and not raising your dose or binging on them, they should maintain their effectiveness against anxiety for a reasonably long time. However, do be prepared for the euphoria to disappear relatively quickly, and don't make the error of mistaking that for a sign that your dose is no longer effective.

Completely unrelated but, if your diagnosis is panic disorder, why in the hell are they prescribing you Effexor?

Yeah, the combination is safe
Some people stay on their dose for years while others have to up the dose everything few weeks/month, it's hard to tell, because everybody is different.
If you don't want to stay on benzos for the rest of your life I would suggest you use them just for really bad panic attacks and try CBT

[QUOTE Completely unrelated but, if your diagnosis is panic disorder, why in the hell are they prescribing you Effexor?[/QUOTE]

Not sure why. It's what the Dr started me on?

I took var others for a few years, Paxil, Prosac, etc... Effexor has been the only pill that's worked and hasn't had me freaking out and in the ER at some point.

Still have some Lozepram lying around for emergencies but that's too strong for recreation. The Clonazepam seems just right, plus I have easy access to it.

No longer have a source for Oxys, Percs or Codine aound, my usual choices.

And don't want to take Xanax, seems like a bad combo with the Effexor.

Ah, okay. I was curious, since Effexor generally has the reputation of increasing anxiety in people who are prone to it rather than reducing it (as, say, Prozac would). If it works well for you then that's fine, and if you benefit from and are able to stick to a reasonable dose of Klonopin like what you described, then I see no problem. Just be prepared for the fact that the euphoria will] fade, and that it isn't an indication that the benzo has stopped working or that you need to raise the dose.

I take 225mg Effexor every morning and 0.5mg clonazepam BID for anxiety. There's no harm in the two together.