News SPORTS | Psilocybin and Weight Loss ->

I definitely agree that one's perception of effort can hold them back. Some patients I work with, I don't tell them I've increased the resistance on the machines they're using and they'll still report the same RPE as previous sessions despite sometimes a statistically significant increase in resistance.

I played a soccer-tournament (amateur league, shits & giggles) last year while on LSD; I didn't notice that it effected stamina that much (short games, so hard to say), but it was easier to keep my head in the game and the "understanding", predictions in game-play, was definitely enhanced. It might not have been, in actuality, but it certainly felt that way. Would definitely drop acid again during soccer games.

I played a soccer-tournament (amateur league, shits & giggles) last year while on LSD; I didn't notice that it effected stamina that much (short games, so hard to say), but it was easier to keep my head in the game and the "understanding", predictions in game-play, was definitely enhanced. It might not have been, in actuality, but it certainly felt that way. Would definitely drop acid again during soccer games.
have also played soccer on LSD, my vision was too wonky to be stellar. but my god it was fun. I could just run and run. Got a nasty blister at one point tho so that was a slight buzzkill

shutterstock_1566865081-1-1536x1022.jpg

Why weren’t psychedelic drugs prohibited in the 2021 Tokyo Olympics?

The truth is that scientists don’t know enough about them. And research into any athletic-enhancing capabilities they may have is lacking.

by Barbara E. Bauer, MS | Psychedelic Science Review | 6 Aug 2021

The 2021 Olympic games in Tokyo, Japan are coming to an end this week with the closing ceremonies scheduled for Sunday at 7:00 AM EST. Last month, controversy erupted surrounding the 1-month suspension of US sprinter Sha’Carri Richardson for testing positive for marijuana.1 Although Ms. Richardson was not using the plant to give her an edge in competition, evidence of it in the bodies of athletes is still prohibited.

Psychedelic Science Review took a closer look at the list of prohibited substances as identified by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) in Montréal, Canada. The WADA publication lists a variety of substances, including cannabinoids, stimulants, and narcotics as prohibited. But interestingly, no psychedelic drugs are mentioned.

But the question arises, do psychedelics even make people better athletes?

Psychedelics and Improved Sports Performance

In 2019, Steven Machek of Baylor University wrote in the Journal of Exercise and Nutrition,​
Given the propensity of subjective psychedelic benefit, microdosing warrants further investigation on its ability to augment athletic endeavors.

His paper provides an overview of the literature on psychedelics and improved athletic performance from both a physiological and psychological perspective. From his work, Machek also concluded that,​
A preponderance of subjective claims and fervent anecdote indicates psychedelics may enhance mental acuity and subsequent exercise performance.

However, research into the sports-enhancing effects of psychedelics remains at a standstill.

Summary

It appears that insufficient data exist to determine if psychedelics are performance-enhancers and should be on the WADA list. It’s still a very new area of research even from a pharmaceutical and subjective effects standpoint. And apparently, no one in any official capacity is studying their effects on athletic performance. This is another wide-open area of psychedelic science for the curious researcher to study.

Last edited:
That dock ellis story - he took acid during the day thursday and was seeing the ball coming slowly on friday night? That sounds like horseshit to me.

I totally smash it when I train on microdoses. With a full dose probably Im too into the trip to even think on training, but with micro to light doses it just train like an animal. No placebo, it is not even debatable.

Anyone who has tried knows it

I think it would just be incredibly difficult to test for and likely very expensive. We're talking some substances that are active in micrograms and water soluble which woukd enable fast clearance times (a few hours for half life)

Edit: also the effects of these drugs are often unpredictable. I'd say there's probably a greater chance of no performance enhancement or hindering performance over improving performance to any significant degree.

Last edited:
PsychHealth.jpg

Psychedelics May Inspire Healthier Habits

by Kristi Pahr | LUCID | 6 Aug 2021

While the benefits of psychedelic compounds on a variety of mental health issues have been widely documented, a new review has found that there’s even more to be excited about when it comes to psychedelic medicine’s potential. A team of researchers from Imperial College London and Johns Hopkins University recently found that previous psychedelic experiences might have positive impacts on physical health as well.

The team, led by Pedro Teixeira, Ph.D., of the University of Lisbon and the Director of Research at the Synthesis Institute, reviewed a number of previous research studies aimed toward determining the efficacy of psychedelic treatment in mental illness. In those studies, the team focused instead on how participants’ overall health was affected by the compounds. What they found was evidence that psychedelic compounds might cause long-lasting improvements in health due to positive behavior changes.

“Our assumption in this review is that taken as a whole, the population, mechanistic (e.g., increased neuroplasticity), and clinical studies are consistent with the possibility that health behaviors tend to improve with positive psychedelic experiences,” Dr. Teixeira told Lucid News. “Also, decades of anecdotal reports of major changes in people’s lives upon psychedelic experiences (many of which were likely unintentional) indicate they would also impact people’s behaviors, including behaviors that are known to be health protective.”

So-called “lifestyle diseases,” like hypertension, obesity, smoking, substance use disorders, and cardiovascular diseases, are common today, but may be preventable when healthy lifestyle choices are implemented. Things like regular exercise, healthy food choices, and abstaining from smoking reduce the risk of “lifestyle diseases” tremendously. Teixeira and his team posit that those with a history of psychedelic treatment are more likely to make positive lifestyle choices as a result of their psychedelic experiences, which means that psychedelics could one day be used as a treatment or preventative for many of the common lifestyle-based health problems we see today.

But more research is necessary, explains Teixeira. “We really need all types of studies, as this association has rarely been addressed in modern research, perhaps with the exception of psychedelic therapy and depression,” he says.

“If we consider health from the perspective we adopt in this review – i.e., behavioral health, manifested in protective behaviors such as a good diet, more physical activity, less sitting/screen time, regular contemplative practices, etc., we need both large observational studies that follow groups of users and non-users throughout their lives,” Teixeira says, as well as “intervention studies that specifically test the effect of psychedelic-assisted interventions.”

There’s hope that in the future, these findings will result in the development of medications and treatment protocols that affect long-term changes in lifestyle behaviors.

“Trials are currently planned or underway for a large number of conditions, from alcoholism to eating disorders and even cluster headaches,” says Teixeira. “Psychedelic science – from fundamental neuroscience to applied psycho-behavioral interventions, and large-scale population surveys – has never been so vibrant.”

The importance of clinical trials and studies cannot be understated. “More and better research,” explains Teixeira, “will help pave the way to a much gentler and productive use of these very old tools, for the challenges of today’s society — including that of improving mental, physical and behavioral health.”

*From the article here :

Doubleblind-Can-Psilocybin-Help-You-Lose-Weight-.jpg

Psilocybin and Weight Loss*

by Miro Tomoski | DoubleBlind | 6 May 2020

Psilocybin has been fast-tracked by the FDA to become a prescription medication in psychedelic-assisted therapy for depression, but now we’re seeing investors line up to support a new indication for the synthetic compound that’s been made famous—in its organic form—by magic mushrooms. Indeed, there is now a patent pending for psilocybin to be used as a weight loss supplement.

“I think, ultimately, we all believe that patents and science and clinical results will drive the value of companies and efforts to bring this [kind of therapy] forward,” says Jeff Smith, chairman of the board at NeonMind Biosciences, the company looking to develop psilocybin microdoses for weight loss.

Patents are often used by companies to show investors they have the exclusive rights to the product they’re investing in—at least until the patent runs out. When it comes to naturally occurring plants or fungi, however, the patent process becomes a lot more complicated and patent approval is increasingly up to the interpretation of the United States Patent and TradeMark Office.

Psilocybin mushrooms, for example, cannot be patented because they are naturally occurring fungi, but specific uses or methods of extracting psilocybin could be considered unique enough to qualify for a patent.

In December, NeonMind applied for a patent to use psilocybin and psilocin (another compound found in psychedelic mushrooms) for the purpose of overall weight loss by reducing food cravings, curbing impulsive eating, and increasing metabolism, among other indications and in combination with choosing less caloric foods. It’s not a broad monopoly on psychedelic mushrooms of any kind, but the rights to their own method of extracting the active ingredients from the mushrooms as well as their use to regulate weight and treat obesity related illnesses like diabetes.

As far as clinical trials go, the weight loss benefits of psilocybin have not been fully explored. The value of any patent and future products also depends on the success of lab-extracted psilocybin and psilocin used in FDA trials, since they are still highly restricted substances. But there’s no doubt NeonMind is prepared for day one of a legal market for mushrooms as they currently hold the rights to more than 120 unique formulas for beverages and infused foods, including coffee that has been infused with a variety of mushrooms containing psilocybin and psilocin.

NeonMind, formerly known as Flourish Mushroom Labs, is part of The Yield Growth Corp, based in British Columbia, Canada. While they are the only company to seek a patent for psilocybin and psilocin for weight loss, NeonMind is just one part of a larger trend among companies looking to enter the psychedelic space with exclusive access to specific treatments. Most notable, perhaps, has been the patent recently granted to Compass Pathways for the use of psilocybin to treat depression.

“There’s a consumer shift to more natural, better approaches that are based on science,” says Smith, pointing out an increasing trend of patients seeking holistic alternatives to the once-daily pill. As the former chairman of the board at Johnson & Johnson, Smith says he’s even seen big pharma attempt to make the same shift with J&J focused on bringing Spravato, or esketamine (a form of ketamine), into the marketplace for depression. Smith also notes that his move away from one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world and into psychedelics was not a quick decision having been particularly inspired by the way in which ketamine helped to treat his brother.

Of course, as Smith left Johnson & Johnson in May of 2019, the company had been dealing with lawsuits for everything from cancer allegedly caused by their talcum powder to the companies role in distributing opioids that contributed to the current crisis. For his part, Smith has shown support for changing the way in which his industry works as early as 2015, arguing for stricter regulations over companies that produce a massive amount of consumer products like J&J.

*From the article here :

Couldn't agree more. Drugs can be a tool you use or they can make you their slave if you fail to treat them with the respect they deserve as medicines. Side note, almost any medicine or substance can be toxic in a large enough dose...even water.

Personal experience corroborates this; though I've been unable/unwilling/insufficiently disciplined to microdose or use in a consistent, therapeutic manner, I've found it applies to weed as well.