News Spiritual use of cannabis: Thanks, Bluelight community!

A study titled 'Cannabis as entheogen: survey and interview data on the spiritual use of cannabis' was recently published in the Open Access 'Journal of Cannabis Research'. The Bluelight community contributed to the survey, along with other online communities, including the Shroomery and DMT Nexus.

Abstract:

This article uses qualitative interviews and quantitative survey data to explore spiritually motivated use of cannabis. Of 265 survey participants who reported their motivations for cannabis use, 25% indicated a spiritual motivation (the corresponding figure for psychedelics was 69% ). These spiritual cannabis users reported experiences with cannabis that, at least in some ways, tended to resemble experiences with psychedelics. In interviews, spiritually motivated cannabis users often emphasized that overuse would diminish the impact of the cannabis experience, which supports previous research that has identified a build-up of tolerance to the effects of cannabis. Some interviewees acknowledged that frequent use had dulled the edges of their experiences. In the survey data, there was no significant difference in usage pattern between spiritual and non-spiritual users, which may indicate that spiritual cannabis users commonly prioritize more frequent cannabis experiences over more intense experiences. The article concludes that spiritually motivated cannabis use appears to be fairly widespread, and that there should be more research into these practices.

Thanks to the author Petter Grahl Johnstad for investigating this interesting topic and inviting us to contribute.

img1285nu8.jpg

A study titled 'Cannabis as entheogen: survey and interview data on the spiritual use of cannabis' was recently published in the Open Access 'Journal of Cannabis Research'. The Bluelight community contributed to the survey, along with other online communities, including the Shroomery and DMT Nexus.

Abstract:

This article uses qualitative interviews and quantitative survey data to explore spiritually motivated use of cannabis. Of 265 survey participants who reported their motivations for cannabis use, 25% indicated a spiritual motivation (the corresponding figure for psychedelics was 69% ). These spiritual cannabis users reported experiences with cannabis that, at least in some ways, tended to resemble experiences with psychedelics. In interviews, spiritually motivated cannabis users often emphasized that overuse would diminish the impact of the cannabis experience, which supports previous research that has identified a build-up of tolerance to the effects of cannabis. Some interviewees acknowledged that frequent use had dulled the edges of their experiences. In the survey data, there was no significant difference in usage pattern between spiritual and non-spiritual users, which may indicate that spiritual cannabis users commonly prioritize more frequent cannabis experiences over more intense experiences. The article concludes that spiritually motivated cannabis use appears to be fairly widespread, and that there should be more research into these practices.

Thanks to the author Petter Grahl Johnstad for investigating this interesting topic and inviting us to contribute.

img1285nu8.jpg
Yis. The pot plant is a spiritual plant. It increases awareness, flows the energy, rises the vibration, opens the chakras and stimulates the spirit. Also opens up intuition, empathy and clairvoyance. It's also good to tame the mind and clear it for a nice deep meditation man! This is why it been illegal because the governments who's our oppressors dont want us waking up cuz they will lose their power over us. Live free (@)(@)

Awesome stuff hope to see some info especially related to the sadhus who are devotees of Shiva where cannabis has been a part of in both legend and practice.

Cannabis has a way of slowing down life, so your life experience is lived longer. It also greatly enriches your current experiences.
In other words, it makes every good part of your life experience even better. Its amazing just how psychologicaly, it can change your perception for the better. Its a miralce.
Im an advocate and a great fan of gods work lol. JUST KIDDING....KIND OF.
Ill admit, its not meant for everyone. Not really my problem tho. There is data supporting it saving live and curing cancer. F&ck of you racist, bureaucrats who outlawed it. Im more pissed off about them being like, "look at that drunk dude , just punched his wife" and everyone was like "seems okay". But somguy in total bliss and.baked out of his mind ask for a bagel, and behind him the whole the line behind him whispers and call him a junky, under their their breath.
In conclusion oh wait, im baked anyways F you, people who blow our highs.
Oh yeah, you dont have to worry about us a places that sell bagels.....we prefer donuts. That was just an example of how annoying it is....so positive note cannabis_ex

Cannabis has a way of slowing down life, so your life experience is lived longer. It also greatly enriches your current experiences.
In other words, it makes every good part of your life experience even better. Its amazing just how psychologicaly, it can change your perception for the better. Its a miralce.
Im an advocate and a great fan of gods work lol. JUST KIDDING....KIND OF.
Ill admit, its not meant for everyone. Not really my problem tho. There is data supporting it saving live and curing cancer. F&ck of you racist, bureaucrats who outlawed it. Im more pissed off about them being like, "look at that drunk dude , just punched his wife" and everyone was like "seems okay". But somguy in total bliss and.baked out of his mind ask for a bagel, and behind him the whole the line behind him whispers and call him a junky, under their their breath.
In conclusion oh wait, im baked anyways F you, people who blow our highs.
Oh yeah, you dont have to worry about us a places that sell bagels.....we prefer donuts. That was just an example of how annoying it is....so positive note cannabis_ex
Some eople envy others' happiness so like to spread misery

Yes, I agree that cannabis has a way of slowing down life and helping to relax. I just started using cannabis again after 8 years without. I noticed that I'm building a tolerance wich never happened before. I'm at the point where I'm used to 80-90% resin vapes but want to get The same effects from flower! Any advice?

This is extremely relevant to me personally rn because for the years that I've been using hard drugs, which has been the last 8 yrs of my life, give or take a few three-month bouts of sobriety, my full time hobby as a stoner has all but disintegrated but I smoked weed for the first time in a long time last night, and I'm still fucking reeling.
My God...
It knocked me on my ass, stripped away the foggy, distorted and extremely limited filter that somehow had become my default, and it hit me with several blaring truths about myself and the reality of my situation that I so desperately needed to understand the gravity of like right fucking now.
There's something to be said about the nature in which these realizations come, and then are gone like there's so much to fucking take in and process like it was just waiting for the opportunity to finally get through to me, and it did. And I listened. It's like an experience like this is the only channel that The Truth can be made known to you in its actual, raw, unedited form.
As uncomfortable it made me, I will always have the utmost respect and gratitude for what is real, honest, TRUTH and nothing else.

Edit: for readability

Last edited:
Yes, I agree that cannabis has a way of slowing down life and helping to relax. I just started using cannabis again after 8 years without. I noticed that I'm building a tolerance wich never happened before. I'm at the point where I'm used to 80-90% resin vapes but want to get The same effects from flower! Any advice?
Try smoking as little as possible. Like save it for an evening thing after work. Swich back and forth between flower, resins, oils, and edibles. Each way effects you different. You'll save money plus its better to live your professional life as soberly as possible. Imo and how I use it in my own life

I agree with the spiritual aspects of cannabis. It is the only substance I’ve used recreationally that had me curious of meditating, listening to music had expanded much of the genres I used to dislike, and like the last poster said, switching between edibles, capes, and buds helps me really understand what works well in what situations in order to be your most relaxed and yet stay productive at the same time. People like my brother would do 1000mg+ edibles and still “feel little stoned” and at those levels I find it to be an almost mushroom like high, but no nauseating digestive feeling. To be in the middle of a forest at the peak of an edible high is heaven on earth, truly. You hear and see every bird singing, grass and trees greener than ever. I r never felt this feeling on any substance except bud. Oxy addiction got hold of me about a decade ago and even that drug is nothing compared to a great marijuana high. Luckily I am off the oxy, has been for years, although I still smoke daily and it has been dab rig shatter, and caviar for the better part of 2 years now. Which I feel has given me a tolerance that is equal to an addiction. You should see when my brother is out of concentrated MJ product, he is pounding walls, cussing at my parents at, and he is older than me. Perhaps he has some medical
Issues he needs to deal with but I would warn those, as great as a concentrate high is, it is very potent. I left my vape pen with 1 Cartidge gram full and 1 half used in a sun glass case on a plane back from Maui. I feel someone got lucky that day while taking the fight out. Those pens could last a person a week easy. And I left 1 1/2 because of the mix of heavy vaping. I’d stick with the flowers/buds if I could not be introduced to dabbing like I had.

Fantastic news. It would be interesting to have a breakdown of it's use spiritually throughout history. Many parts of the world have used it for centuries during ceremonies and for spiritual reasons.

Saving my use for the evenings after dinner is the only time that I truly appreciate marijuana's effects. Probably has something to do with knowing my daily responsibilities/obligations are over with.

Otherwise its anxiety, guilt, worrying, even borderline depression ☹
Not sure how else to generalize it other than a 'bad headspace'.

I used to roll big joints of 3gs and sometimes instead of inhaling i blew it into my hand and into my hair, into my shirt, passed the joint around my arms like if were a kind of sage, as a ritual to thank mother nature and the universe on blessing me with the flower.

Abstract:

img1285nu8.jpg
Mm frosty :)

I used to roll big joints of 3gs and sometimes instead of inhaling i blew it into my hand and into my hair, into my shirt, passed the joint around my arms like if were a kind of sage, as a ritual to thank mother nature and the universe on blessing me with the flower.
Nice i kinda do the same thing. Respect.