Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Spiritual Journey

bikki_muncher69

Bluelighter
Hello all! Well I guess like most people do I'm going through that stage of life where im trying to find purpose and meaning in this wierd thing called exsistance!. I feel that I want to acomplish more in my life than just finishing school and joining the workforce and retireing ect.... so was thinking at the end of this year with the money i have saved up, of going overseas and going on a religious type journey.

Now I'm talking about such things as possibly becoming a Buddhist monk for 6 to 12 months and doing the Hundi maybee Middle eastern thing for 6 to 12 months. Now this would be raw spirituality and I know that 12 months as a monk i will be stripped of all the luxuries of the western world and would have to live off bare essentials for survival but feel that it could be one of the most rewarding experiences of my life and may help me find meaning:D. So im just wondering what are peoples thoughts on doing somthing like this? how one would go about doing this and what would be some of the best places in the world to visit like Tibet ect...

Would appreciate your thoughts=D

if you wanna be stripped of all the luxuries of the western world, be homeless for a while

^Yer i could do that but im not looking just of becoming homeless for a while read what i said and you will see its not just being stripped of the luxuries of the western world.

It's my feeling that if you go on a search specifically for meaning/spiritual enlightenment et al, that you probably aren't going to find it. Yes you may learn a lot more about yourself, yes you may have some fantastic and unrepeatable experiences --- but I don't think that one day (or even after your trip) you're going to wake up and go "wow - i've figured it out - i know why i'm here!"

I don't know...these contrived "finding yourself" trips just don't sit so well with me :\

Though I'm sure other people have vastly differing and or positive thoughts on the matter :)

^On my journeys I know im not going to find some hidden meaning in life or whatever, i just feel like i want to experience more things and in turn will hopefully help me to have a more whole and forfilling life.

If you really must go, then just go. Don't think too much about it, or you'll taint your experience with preconceptions. And whatever you do, don't go expecting to find enlightenment, or you'll be looking forever.

Why not start with your local Buddhist Temple here in Australia? How much do you know about Buddhism? Are you really ready for a trip overseas, or could you maybe find what you're looking for here?

Yeah, I don't actually have plans to go on a 'spiritual journey' as such. Well, not in the sense where you're consciously connected to a higher source.

However, my plans for the future [assuming finances allow ;)] is to travel the world to gain understanding on areas of life I'm less aware of.

Basically, I want to go to poverty affected countries and places that inspire a sense of mystery or spirituality.

My intention within this is simply interest.

A lady in my class at school visited South Africa and spent her time visiting orphanages where many of the children are suffering from aids. She actually did a presentation on it, showed photos [that were extremely saddening] and what not.

All this left me quite affected, but fascinated. And hurt. And disgusted with the injustice of the world.

I've always been more inclined to team with the underdog in society. So such an experience would no doubt be highly rewarding for me.

Egypt is also on my list of places to visit. Ever since I was a young child I've had a mysterious urge to visit.

I know this is not exactly what you were referring to... but I figured such a topic may not be loaded with replies ;).

^ Doppelganger I understand what your saying and this is what I hope also to acheive in my journeys, I guess you could call it more of a world trip but to more exotic and mysteryous places than where most people go when they travel (talking about europe America's ect...) I think that a few months in a buddhist temple would add to that, i guess more of a head first dive into the culture ect...

How old are you? Like, 17?

Beer and 16 year old girls are about as spiritual as you need to get right now.

18, yar I know im still a youngin but would rather explore this stuff when I'm this age and freash out of school plus the beer and 16 year old girls gets abit repeditive after a while. People go oversea's at my age all the time I think that what im thinking of doing would be much much more rewarding and a beautiful experience rather than going to USA or Europe and experienceing similar cultures we allready have in Australia.

Last edited:
You can experience other cultures without wasting a year in a buddhist temple. Sorry to be so dismissive but it's hard to see what you in particular (from what little I know of you) would gain from that.

And if you aren't interested in going to europe/USA, then dont! There are some amazing places out there - you could go to africa or the midlle east, tunisia or south america.. anywhere!

I've travelled a lot myself, and probably the 2 most interesting countries i've been to were Oman and Turkey.

On the spiritual side of things, there's lots that can be done even here in australia. I can introduce you to some people i know that take courses in astral projection for instance.

Just be aware that if you do want some kind of 'spritiual experience', they dont come shrink-wrapped. If there is any morsel of romanticism embedded in your desire for a 'spiritual journey', then you aren't going to get much out of it. What you think you want actually involves a shitload of work and effort, and can be incredibly boring, and seemingly (or actually!) unrewarding.

Maybe just stop taking drugs for a while and start reading some books on philosophy? That I find to be an excellent starting point.

Good Luck!

Potato, thanks for the advice, what your saying about wasting a year in a buddhist temple is true, I knew it would be hard and for a year I dont think it would be worth it if at the end of it I come out of it learning little. There are some amazing places out there! I am gonna do the whole travel thing to interesting culture filled places guess i thought of the spiritual thing could be an added bonus sort of thing.

And yes is true what I was thinking about shrink wrapped enlightenment guess its kinda a dream that I will go off to some msytical country engage in a cool religion and come out of it awsome for the rest of my life but of coarse reality is abit more different. Philosophy is one of my strong points but the truth is I dont really know where to start! and yar its been holidays so ive been eating way to many psychedelics and partying too hard which would explain my search for significance and meaning in life:D. Thanks for the replys people!

Fucking do it dude!

You have taken the first step, now continue! If you feel like you need it, you do. Bite the bullet, step out of your comfort zone and go. 18 is the perfect age, I assume you have just finished school, you don't have a career yet and no morgage to hold you down.

I am in Thailand at the moment and have spoken to people who have done just what you are thinking of doing. One girl left everything behind in Germany and did the Buddist Temple thing for 5 months. She had just got out when i had spoken to her and she said her life has changed dramatically.

Just a work of warning, don't do this to escape from anything (ie. your drug use). Also be warned that this girl's had a lot of privileges stripped, like talking, possessions and was only fed once a day for the first few days.

All i can say is, if you want to do it, then do it.

Yes if you want to do it do it. While I was in Thailand last year I spent 3 weeks at a temple under Monk rules. ie eating 1 meal a day, sleeping in a small bare hut on a bamboo mat and practicing meditation. Even that small experience was very rewarding. If Philosophy interests you you will also enjoy talking to monks because they study it alot.

I guess if it did come down to it I would only stay a few months say 2 - 3 at the most, I do understand i would have most things i take for granted stripped from me but i take this is nothing compared to living a life in poverty and I feel I would get more insight from this than just becoming homeless for a while.

No I wouldent be doing this to escape from anything, I feel that most things atm are balanced in my life just thinking the monk experience will help me to balance things out for the long run because of coarse after I get back from travel its off to work and uni which can be quite stressfull and in times like those reflecting on the experience and what the monks will have taught me could be very helpfull.

Shorza can you remeber where this girl spent the 5 months? also doofhard where did you spend the 3 weeks, what Im most owrried about is getting there and not being able to speak the laungage ect... Would probabbly help to learn abit of the local laungage I guess.

bikki_muncher69 said:
I do understand i would have most things i take for granted stripped from me...

i think the idea is more than you give up these things rather than have them taken away from you. a small difference but it kinda changes the whole meaning of it.

hey ---- i say do it!

You have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain ... every little experience in life shapes us in some way shape or form, so why not make it awesome!!

I agree with Shorza in that 18 IS the very perfect time to travel in that you are still so fresh and young and open to new ideas ... do it while you're not tied down by two kids and a mortgage --- cos that will come faster than you anticipate.

When you are lying on your deathbed - what do you want to remember - going down to the local temple and reading a couple of books for a little spirituality a la carte - or seeing more of the world and gaining a better understanding of yourself and others :)

and hell, WHY NOT??!! You only get one crack at the whip -- make it a good one =D

^ YES! Well i think im going to have do it now, I guess timing is just the main thing spending an appropriate amount of time in the temple so i can hopefully be rewarded for the experience but also having enough time to visit all the other places I want to see!. Now I guess dose anyone know any beautiful places where i could start this Spiritual adventure

Last edited:
i like laying in the grass very quietly and looking at the sky .... =D

But then i have a very earthy sort of spirituality