• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Speed/Amphetamine, can it cause acne?

Firth

Bluelighter
Can the use of speed/amphetamine sulphate cause acne/breakouts following (a few days-a couple of weeks) after the last use of them?

I don't think stimulants can directly cause acne, but they could indirectly by making you sweat more, thus facilitating bacterial growth. If you take care of yourself (good hygiene), you shouldn't worry.
I'm just guessing here so I could be wrong.

It seems that the general concencus is that amphetamines don't, but may do indirectly. I used a small amount on Sunday night and haven broken out badly since, I was wondering if it could have been linked to this night.

Indirectly, yes. Things that exasperated acne are sweating and poor diet also hair on the face(Like a fringe). And as we know while on amphetamines our appetite is little to none. So I would think that the reason for the breakout a couple of weeks after has been to do with your poor diet while on them. Hope this helps.

Yea they can cause acne. The sweating as mentioned above and the anxiety or restlessness you may get while under the influence of an amphetamine can cause you to touch your face or fiddle with your hair or whatever. The more oily and sweaty your face gets. The higher the risk of worsening your acne. Unfortunate truth

Yes, as stress can, and amphetamine-type compounds have the potential to cause more stress than anything else.

it sure can with sweating, dehydration, oils coming out more, the body is metabolizing faster

The toxins have to come out somehow... It is manageable with a thorough face cleansing routine

Well when you use speed it raises your body temperature and causes you to sweat more. Combine that with the general fidgetiness speed gives you and that some people end up touching/picking at their face because of it and general lack of good diet when bingeing I'd say yea it can indirectly lead to acne.

As many people have already pointed out, I am not aware of any direct mechanism by which it causes acne, but many of its (side) effects are predisposing factors for acne. It's the same as damage to teeth; unless the caustic amphetamines actually come into direct contact with tooth enamel, they do not directly have any effe all cct on your teeth, but apart from the obvious one of bruxism from excessive use, extended periods of dehydration (and a very dry mouth as anyone will testify), poor dental hygiene and a poor or non-consistent diet all contribute to dental deterioration.

I've never had the problem myself but can easily picture the mechanisms by which it might occur and when the speed junkies I know have gone clean, there was a significant improvement in the skin condition of the vast majority of them.

When used in moderation, amphetamines are fairly benign. Their side effect profile just happens to include dehydration and malnutrition, unless you're careful, and their addictive potential often leads to binging, which makes it all the worse. It's more what you do (and don't do) while tweaking than the drug itself, unless your doses are excessive.