• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Special case scenario for getting back on Suboxone- must I still wait 24 hours?

pocketsevens

Bluelighter
So I've been taking 4-8mg Suboxone for quite a while now. Recently my friend came across 50 hydros, so about a week ago I waited the necessary 24 hours and I've just been taking those instead. I'm still able to get somewhat high off them, but I noticed that I was sweating and having withdrawal symptoms only a few hours after taking them. Now my friend is done sharing, haha, and I need to get back on the Suboxone.

The last hydro I took was around 10:00pm last night, and right now it's 2:00pm. I already feel sweaty and lethargic, but idk if it's been long enough to consider this a full blown withdrawal. Can I take Suboxone right now, or will that send me into precipitated withdrawals? If it's too soon, how long do I need to wait?

Being one of the unfortunate souls that has had to experience the horrid precipitated withdrawals, I'd err on the side of caution. In a fairly dark room, look in a mirror and verify your pupils are dilated, go through the remaining expected symptoms of the COWS sheet

(http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_induction_flow_sheet.pdf)

That's going to be your best bet avoiding PWs. Let us know how it turns out and at what hour mark you decided to go for it.

what makes this a special scenario? id play it safe and wait until your symptoms are becoming more intense

When I was taking 4mg a day and bridging gaps. I would start feeling sweaty roughly 24 hours after opiate, I would take 1mg of sub and wait, about an hour or so passes and take another 1mg, and repeat this until I feel fine. I never took my full dose of sub all at once when transitioning. Be patient.

Well, I did take too much sub one time too early, and that's all the reminder I needed not to do that again.

Last edited:
I think the hydro just wasn't enough to cover with WDs you were experiencing from bupe in the first place, 4-8mg of bupe would equal hundreds of milligrams of hydrocodone...but I would definitely wait as long as absolutely possible before taking anymore bupe and then start with a .5mg dose, then a 1mg dose an hour later if the first one didn't change how you feel then wait two hours and go from there.

I don't know how much hydro you were taking at once, but I could imagine in effect it was acting as a taper off the suboxone rather than making you re-dependent on full agonist opiates.

you can take up to 2mg of bupe sublingually every 2 hours within a couple hours of your last dose without getting precip wds, no need to wait for withdrawals to start. if you really want to be sure, start with 1mg but definitely no more than every 2 hours, and definitely no more than 2mg.

Don't tell people they can start taking bupe in 2mg doses before the full agonist has even worn off and not expect PWD...99% of the time for most people who were truly dependent on full agonists that is going to end in horrible pain, unless they had a small time habit and this were their first time taking bupe. In this very specific case you may be right, he didn't say how long he had been off the bupe, if he was only taking hydros for 1-2 days then I imagine my theory about him WDing from bupe despite the hydros is true and he could probably begin taking bupe again before full WD....but if he had been off bupe for say 5 days and was taking hydros the whole time it would definitely end in PWD if he doesn't wait for WD to start, especially at 2mg doses.

The timeline would be cut shorter if this is the first time he has ever taken a "vacation" from bupe, but still not a couple hours after his last dose if he had no bupe in his system left and just hydro....but the timeline gets longer and longer after each vacation. When I used to do that shit it was fairly easy to re-induce, but after enough times taking vacations from bupe even after waiting 18-24 hours I would still experience 30+ minutes of PWD before starting to feel only slightly better than I did before taking the bupe, eventually re-inducing became a 2-3 day event, a day off full agonists, a day of feeling pretty fucking shitty no matter the dose of bupe, and then on day 3 I would be able to function in front of family/go to work, but it wouldn't be until day 4 that I actually felt normal.

Last edited:
I agree with the above. And just to clarify it's seems that the OP thinks it necessary to wait 24 hours when going from sub to hydro....that is not true....it's only the reverse when u need to wait.

Anybody u do dose before 24 hrs....take 1mg every 1 hour....is better than taking the full sub dose at once