Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Something Odd about breath testers...

melburn_madnesss

Bluelighter
I don’t want this thread to become a 'how to beat breath testers' thread but this story is interesting.

A few weeks ago I was hanging at my friends work and we started talking about getting breath tested. One girl said her sister was pulled over and blew .190 I think but I was defiantly a reading quite over the legal limit. She was told to wait in the car for 30 mins so they could do another test to confirm it. So in that time she panicked and recalled that 'eating a cigarette' does something to the breath tester, that’s what she proceeded to do. The officers come back 30mins later they did a tester and it came back 'no reading' meaning the machine didn't find any alcohol in her breath and she was free to go.

When I heard this I responded with my usual BL skepticism and basically said something defiantly doesn't sound right.

So anyway last night we were out for a drink in st.kilda and my friend drove and had a few drink, then tried a breath tester we had acceess too on ourselves.

My friend decided to have a test first time he blew .059 so he was just over the limit, the operated said come back in 10-15 mins because he last drink was recent and the reading could still go up. We came back tested again and it did go up to .068 I think but I was defiantly high 6s and the operator said it will take 3 hours for it to start coming down.

Just for fun I said 'eat a cigarette' to my amazement he ate 1 then 3-4 mins later did another test and he blew .049 mean it had gone down roughly .02 in the space of 5 minutes and I know this because I saw it with my own eyes.

Could anyone explain that or heard stories like that before ?

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, ive heard of this before. imo it would be something to do with there metabolism passing the alc', perhaps quicker in some then others. every time i have done breath test at the pub it blows a different reading, even after consecutive goes.

When you say eat a cigarrette, you mean swollowing the whole thing? or just the tobacco or something.

From the TV show Mythbusters:

Using various substances and tricks when drunk can allow someone to beat the breathalyzer test.

busted

None of the tested methods worked and a blood sample can always be requested by the police. In addition, mouthwash actually made the breathalyzer give a higher reading than usual.

http://mythbustersresults.com/results/season1.html

I'm sure they didn't try eating cigarettes but seriously, that's pretty far fetched.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, eating cigarettes can be extremely dangerous. Nicotine levels can easily reach toxic levels. An old and foolish prank to make someone sick was to stick a cigarette in their drink, and a well known old spy improvisation trick to poison someone was to soak cigarettes in an adversary's drink. So it's definitely not advisable to eat tobacco. What alcohol would do is to dissolve the nicotine, thereby facilitating faster absorption.

Secondly, there's what's known as breath alcohol readings. If you've had a drink shortly before being breath tested, the readings are often much higher than the actual blood alcohol concentration (BAC). This is why police will ask if you've had a drink in the last 10 minutes. If you say yes, they usually test, then wait 10 or so minutes before retesting. My wife once blew 0.07% BAC but after 10 minutes she was under 0.03, so time definitely affects this reading.

It could very well be that the person who chewed the cig merely cleansed her mouth of alcohol, thereby lowering the amount present in her mouth and registering less. If alcohol did reacte with nicotine in the way you've suggested, neither drug would be likely to have much affect when the two are combined, and we all know that's not the case.

real funny, bcoz a while ago in my previous job we all went to the pub drinking after work, for hours, like 8 hours, i got home at like 1 am, SO drunk it wasnt funny, my boss drove home, got pulled over by a breath test, blew into it, (dunno what he got exactly but they through him in the back and took him back to the cop shop)

he ate a ciggie on the way, got to the cop shop and blew 0.08 (still over the limit, but im SURE he should have been WAY MORE, i was absolutely plastered)

anyway i have just as much skeptisism about this stuff as anyone else, but it happened

Chronik Fatigue said:
That sounds like a real good way to get nicotine poisoning 8o

true i wouldn't put it on my to do list, but it seemed to make some kind of differnance...? We should have done another test 5 mins later that would have atleast given me a better idea of what was going on

There's a very simple answer to all this.

Don't drink and drive (or drug and drive)...then you can blow whatever the hell you want!

I know coating your mouth with peanut butter can slighly lower your BAC through a breathalyser. As well as eating the charcoal they give to poision victims, cause it absorbs the ETOH in you stomach so more can't be absorbed, the second one won't lower it , but it will stop it from rising if you have had two or three quick drinks before driving.